FIrst time OC help

Last response: in Overclocking
November 30, 2011 3:54:40 AM

Never OC in my life my set up is:
mobo: gigabyte 970a-ud3
cpu: phenom II x4 955 BE
ram: G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 8GB F3-12800CL9D-8GBRL
gpu: sapphire radeon 6870

My question is what should my settings be? I want to OC but I don't want to fry my parts. How should I OC this and make it stable? I am asking this cuz G.SKILL said I have to reconfigure my settings in order to use the ram properly on an AMD platform. I am still waiting for my parts to arrive but I want to know what I need to be doing beforehand. thanks

More about : time

November 30, 2011 4:12:53 AM

You have to go into the bios and manually change settings to the settings printed on the RAM. When using a system with an unlocked multiplier (Intel "X" or "K" series, or AMD "Black Edition"), this is a pretty simple RAM speed setting along with setting the voltage and timings supplied by the RAM manufacturer.

When overclocking, I use HWMonitor to look at my temps. You can go download that from CPUID now to try it out on any machine. You can also take a look at the bios on the computer you're using now to get used to it (so long as it's a PC at least). That'll usually require, Delete, F12, or something similar at the right time during startup. So long as you don't save settings, you can't mess anything up.

So long as you don't apply excessive voltage (just stay within manufacturer limits) or let parts overheat (just stay within manufacturer limits), the only thing that is in any danger is your Windows installation (not your data, unless it's being accessed). And who cares if you corrupt Windows and need a reinstall (unlikely anyways)?
m
l
November 30, 2011 10:43:57 AM

try reading some sticky's or youtube vids to see what your supposed to do
m
l
November 30, 2011 8:30:36 PM

You're going to have to do some research into the typical and allowable voltages for each setting your bios has--but you'll have to wait to do that until you boot up and see your bios with the new mobo.
m
l
!