HAF 922 and CM Storm Force

Jaieni

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2009
My brother ended up buying a HAF 922 and CM storm force for cheap, I think he said $60 for both, and when he asked me to put his set up together I noticed that the hook up for the fan and the case was a little screwy. I looked up the fan and saw that the storm force is meant for the storm scout and no other case. We can't take the thing back because he threw out the original packaging so before he wastes more money by buying another pair of fans I was wondering if there was a way to make the thing work in the HAF 922. He doesn't care about noise so the fan doesn't need to have speed control and he doesn't care if the red LED is on 24/7 since he doesn't sleep in the same room as the case (and he'd like the thing glowing anyway).

I was thinking that I could just short the 2pin connector with a wire and wrap that in electrical tape and then hook up the 2-pin molex to the power supply but I don't want to destroy anything by doing this.

Thanks~

edit: http://www.coolermaster-usa.com/product.php?product_id=2918 here's the fan

Solution
EDIT - Important - I made a mistake. Glad I did a little research. The small two pin fan power cable is for the led while the large molex is for the fan.

Manufacturer Response:Dear Valued Customer,
You are correct, these fans will be compatible with all Sniper versions as a direct replacement for the blue LED fans. These fans are engineered to work correctly with the fan controller and the LED on/off function on the Sniper series chassis. The installation requires minor removal of the front bezel, top bezel and moving some cables for an easy 15 minute installation.

CMUSA – Customer Support.

We apologize for the inconvenience you have had. The 2 pin’s function is to turn on/off the led...

zendax

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2009
I'd just hook up the molex connector to the power supply and take it from there. I can pretty much guarantee it works, if it uses a standard connector it's going to use a standard pin-out arrangement. As for the LED, it probably defaults to off, but you should find out before messing with it.

If it does default to off, short-circuiting it may or may not work. It depends on whether the LEDs actually get power from that cable, and not just a signal to turn off and on. It shouldn't hurt anything either way.

I took a look at the Coolermaster Storm Force 230mm fans. The fans have a standard molex connector which can be connected to the power supply. The smaller fan connector can also be connected to the power supply with a appropriate fan to molex adapter. The adapters are readily available for a couple of dollars from online vendors. You can connect either one but not both.

Isn't freedom of choice great? :)

Jaieni

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2009

So the smaller connector being connector will power both the fan and the led and I can completely ignore the molex?

Thank you Johnny and zendax for your replies.

EDIT - Important - I made a mistake. Glad I did a little research. The small two pin fan power cable is for the led while the large molex is for the fan.

You are correct, these fans will be compatible with all Sniper versions as a direct replacement for the blue LED fans. These fans are engineered to work correctly with the fan controller and the LED on/off function on the Sniper series chassis. The installation requires minor removal of the front bezel, top bezel and moving some cables for an easy 15 minute installation.

We apologize for the inconvenience you have had. The 2 pin’s function is to turn on/off the led light on the fan. The Fan itself is meant only for the storm sniper. That’s why it has a not so average connections coming from the fan.
Respectfully,

OK! That settles that!

molex connector = fan power
2 pin fan connector = led power

Did a little more research. Here is a 2 pin fan to molex adapter that will allow you to connect the 2 pin led power cable to the psu:

http://www.xsfans.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=134&zenid=e390113e0be7b00e21befdcd1f9a503d

The adapter has a male 2 pin fan connector which is plugged into the female 2 pin fan connector on the fan. The molex connector is a duo with both male and female connectors so you are covered either way.

Solution

Jaieni

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2009

Awesome, thank you for your help.

TRENDING THREADS