dummos

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2011
i have set my 2500k to 4.8k and downloaded prime 95 to test it. what test do people normally use to guage operating temps? also i ran one using large fft's option and it maxed 70 degrees after 2 hrs does this mean when i run programs my cpu will run at 70 degrees?

Solution
Hi there

1st off you might want to exercise a little more caution than just instantly setting your 2500k to 4.8 seeing how it goes (not being a killjoy... just trying to stop you frying your CPU)

See this guide:

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/265056-29-2600k-2500k-overclocking-guide

In Prime 95 the mix test is a good one (lots of memory testing in there too)

You might reach the max temp in 10 mins, but you want to test for a lot longer (as long as you can really... overnight even.) I've had CPU's sitting comfortably at 60 degrees, no issues at all, suddenly fail after 5 hours+

Your CPU hit 70 with all cores close to 100% load... keep in mind your CPU will not always be at 100% load all cores, so your average CPU should be lower...
Prime95 is pertty useful. Any of the tests will drive the CPU temps to max in about 10 minutes.

However, the small fft's test tends to highlight problems with CPU settings. The large fft's and blend tests tends to work the memory subsystem harder.

P95 drives temps to max because it puts a constant 100% load on the CPU's. Regular programs, even games, do not. Lower CPU load = lower temps.

One of the values of programs such as P95 is that you know nothing else will drive your CPU temps higher.

There's a fair amount of discussion about how long to stress test. People will advocate 2, 4, 6, 8, 12, or 24 hours. I'd say the average is 4 - 8 hours. I, however, test for 24 hours. I ergard stability as very important. :)

Formata

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2010
Hi there

1st off you might want to exercise a little more caution than just instantly setting your 2500k to 4.8 seeing how it goes (not being a killjoy... just trying to stop you frying your CPU)

See this guide:

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/265056-29-2600k-2500k-overclocking-guide

In Prime 95 the mix test is a good one (lots of memory testing in there too)

You might reach the max temp in 10 mins, but you want to test for a lot longer (as long as you can really... overnight even.) I've had CPU's sitting comfortably at 60 degrees, no issues at all, suddenly fail after 5 hours+

Your CPU hit 70 with all cores close to 100% load... keep in mind your CPU will not always be at 100% load all cores, so your average CPU should be lower than that.

Solution

dummos

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2011
the processor is on an asrock extreme 4 z68 the 4.8 is one of the preset cpu speeds
i tested the lower clocks on the way up and my pc has been left on for 4 days now at 4.8 idles at 26 degrees maxes at 70 after 2 hrs on prime 95 sits on 1.32vcore it seems fairly safe atm

dummos

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2011
when i have some spare time i will have to do a long prime 95 and see how it goes but at the moment having a 4.8gHz OC with 1 button and all the setting actually looking good im cautiously overjoyed

Formata

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2010
Haha all good. Sounds like your beast is all set. For checking temps, Core Temp is a good one... shows individual temps on each core, what load is on each core, what they maxed at etc.

Sorry for sounding OTT... just talking to another guy who panicked when his new system wouldn't boot after using Asus Auto OC setting. Flash BIOS and he's away again :)