Windows 7 can't booting on AHCI but can on IDE

Status
Not open for further replies.

leventz

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2011
for a year i recently used to AHCI mode for my HDD laptop.
but yesterday,
my laptop suddenly got blank screenn.
so when i try to boot on AHCI mode, the screen got stuck on "STARTING windows" i wait for an hour but still the screen did not go anywhere..
but when i try to change to IDE via BIOS.. the screen got no stuck..
so anyone have any idea how to change to AHCI mode again..

If your system works in IDE mode but not in AHCI mode then the following procedure should solve the problem:

1) Run the Registry Editor (regedit.exe)
2) Navigate to Registry Key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Msahci
3) Set the "Start" value to 0 (zero)
4) Navigate to Registry Key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Pciide
5) Set the "Start" value to 0 (zero)
6) Shut down
7) Start up again, but before Windows boots go into the BIOS configuration screens and change the disk mode to "AHCI". Save the new BIOS configuration and restart so that Windows boots.

When Windows starts, it will detect the change, load new disk drivers, and do one more reboot to start up with them.

leventz

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2011
@sminlal.
both of them are 0 already.
because i used to AHCI before the problem occured.
i tried to use system restore, to restore the system files before the problem occured.
but still can't boot and always got stuck on starting windows (AHCI mode)
even in AHCI i can't run the safe mode got stuck when it tries to load SYSTEMPNP.sys (or somewhat like that)
but on IDE. it can run anything.
any idea?

leventz

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2011
@sminlal
ok, i got the idea..
btw, you know the difference about ICE v AHCI?
i try using IDE now, and i feel this one is very bad on performance comparing to AHCI one.
or this just my imagination?

There isn't a lot of real performance difference between IDE and AHCI modes. The two modes are just different ways for the OS drivers to communicate with the SATA chipset - the raw transfer speeds over the cable to the disk drive are the same in either case. It's not as if you had an actual IDE disk drive connected using IDE cables.

G

I have just had the same problem - i have a vertex3 ssd disk as my boot/os drive and a conventional wd disk for storing files etc.

Iv'e had no problems until this morning when it got stuck on the Starting Windows (win7 64bit) screen and never moved off. I changed AHCI -> IDE in bios and it booted. I then set it back to AHCI and...it booted!

So if, as someone else mentioned, windows reloads the AHCI drivers when booting if last reboot was not AHCI (i.e. IDE) then it could be a corrupt driver issue i guess. All i know is it's working fine now :)

I do beleive that AHCI is required for NCQ, hot swap, and a few other features to be enabled.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Native_Command_Queuing

vekspec

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2011

that totally solved my issue. i changed my sata from IDE to AHCI so I could take advantage of my new SSD and my old HDD windows won't boot. changing the first value from 3 to 0 fixed that and my HDD windows boots up! thanks a ton! :)

botondus

Reputable
Aug 27, 2014

I've had problems doing this on an older system (ASUS P5QL mobo). After following the step, during the Windows 7 boot process it would just keep rebooting. So I couldn't get back into Windows anymore.

After some trial and error what helped was disabling the Quick Boot option from the BIOS.
Then it booted up fine into Windows 7 and installed the AHCI drivers.

Soe Than

Reputable
Feb 9, 2015

4 years on and I have the same problem.
Is a reinstall the only solution?
Any way to back up data from the drive at this point?

gotboost33

Reputable
Feb 24, 2015

worked great thank you!

Status
Not open for further replies.