Is amd overdrive safe to use?

dacca

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2009
Hey everyone, here is my rig (question to follow)
amd phenom 965 currently @3.7ghz and stable.

saphire 6970
4gb crucial ballistix
ga-ma790gp-ud4h
3x sata 2 samsung hard drives @7200rpm
ocz stealthxstream 700w ocz700mxsp
1x pci usb 2.0 port
2x dvd writer
zalman 9700 blue l.e.d version
2 rear 80mm fans
1 front 120mm fan
Think thats all you need to know, if I missed something im sorry.

My question is as it says in the title but let me elaborate. Will I be able to reach around 4ghz with my set up? currently im at 3.7 and at peak not going above 50 degrees.
I have another topic open about this but I was asking about overclocking through bios. Is amd overdrive really a safe way to go?

I prefer the BIOS overclock for many reasons, AOD can works, but also can give you problems while you get the rig stable.

I know that this won't answer your question, but is very difficult say you if is safe or not since all overclocks are different and the components react different to overclock, in other words, you can use it and have not problems or can overclock and have a lot of problems killing something.

dacca

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2009
Thanks man, I appreciate it, so it boils down to whether I want to risk it. I have another thread open about this same issue but asking how I can get higher clocks than what I have. I have raised vcore by gradual increases, but not been able to get stable above 3.7 so im guessing I need to overclock NB, but the last time I tried this, I blew up my ma790fx-dq6 motherboard. is my new board ok for overclocking? I cant find any good reviews its the ga-ma790gp-ud4h

dacca

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2009
zalman 9700 blue l.e.d version, the voltage is currently running at stock. I raised it to 1.45 by gradual increments as the cpu would boot to windows fine, but would not work under full load. at 1.5 I was still at 50 degrees until it blue screened due to an unforseen hardware configuration error I think it said. I then decided to revert to stock voltage and lower clock speed to 3.7 until I had further advice

dacca

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2009
The last time I saw it there was no error code, just a blue screen with an error message, then after that it just rebooted with no log or error record or blue screen, just literally reset itself.

dacca

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2009
right then, bare with me while I go to bios land for a little while, is there some way I can take a screen shot of the bios perhaps?

dacca

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2009
Right I cant seem to get my phone to take a good pic at the minute as memory is to low and I havent got a spare sd card so will list some voltages
NB 1.3v
ddr2 2.0v
vcore 1.4v
multiplier 18.5
sb normal (doesnt seem to specify) is this what you need or is there more?

dacca

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2009
Is that from personal experience? I will give it a go now thanks, is it ok to bump the vcore straight up to 1.5 or should I go up slowly? or go to 1.5 then work my back down to stable voltage at lower level?