DUAL chanel momory help

azharkhan46

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2010
HI GUYS
i wanna know that is is must for dual channel memory that u put same brand and same bus speed and same momery of mbs RAms
in both slots,
suppose i puts 2 Gb ram of kingston in one slot of 800 bus speed and in other i put 1Gb ram of corsair 667 bus
so will these ram,s works fine as a dual channel memory ?

gracefully

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2010
They might.

However, if they do, they will run at the speed of the slowest RAM. In this case, they will both run at 667 MHz, because that's the speed of the slower RAM module. Also, only the first 1GB of the 2GB module will actually be in dual-channel mode, because the second RAM module is only 1GB large. The dual-channel setup runs at 667, runs 2GB (1GB of the 2GB module, and the entire 1GB of the other module) at dual channel mode and the last 1GB (which is the 1GB left over from the 2GB module that doesn't fit the smaller RAM module's capacity) is in single-channel mode.

If you want best performance with dual-channel, get identical memory. Or at least get memory with similar timings, frequencies, and voltages. If the Corsair memory was 2GB and ran 800 MHz there wouldn't be much of a problem, if any at all.