Sign in with
Your question

Replacing my DVD Drive in my laptop

Last response: in Storage
July 10, 2011 10:56:33 AM

I need to replace the DVD drive for the Toshiba Satellite L505-144. Does any laptop DVD drive fit in all laptops? I can't find the exact DVD drive for the laptop and I thought that there must be an alternative way
a b D Laptop
a c 93 G Storage
July 10, 2011 2:43:44 PM

There are SATA and PATA drives for notebook computers. Yours should be a SATA model. You should be able to use a similar model, but may have to remove some mounting brackets from the old drive and attach them to the new one. Not a big deal either way.

Good luck!
July 10, 2011 3:02:35 PM

COLGeek said:
There are SATA and PATA drives for notebook computers. Yours should be a SATA model. You should be able to use a similar model, but may have to remove some mounting brackets from the old drive and attach them to the new one. Not a big deal either way.

Good luck!

Thanks for that, but do the sizes for each DVD drive differ?
Related resources
a b D Laptop
a c 93 G Storage
July 10, 2011 3:19:05 PM

saroy94 said:
Thanks for that, but do the sizes for each DVD drive differ?

Yes, usually in the thickness of the drive. Find the specs for your model and then order a new one that is the same thickness. I have replaced several and it is actually pretty easy once you disassemble the notebook.

What model of drive are you removing? Post that and I'll look for a suitable replacement.
July 11, 2011 3:55:01 PM

It's my friend's laptop, which I don't have at the moment. Once I do i'll post it on here
!