Kingston 16GB-SSD and 30GB, RAID?

Will a Kingston 16GB work in RAID-0 with a Kingston 30GB EG..

Kingston 30GB SSDNow V
And
Kingston 16GB 2.5" SATA-II S100

Please help me, because i am trying to put 2 SSD's in raid on my next build
10 answers Last reply
More about kingston 16gb 30gb raid
  1. Help?
  2. As far I have seen, is that the 30GB would be cut down to the smallest drive. Is that true?
  3. Hi

Yes. To run a Raid 0, the information is theoretically split equally between the two drives. This means that drive sizes have to be equal. You would get a 30GB rain drive.
  4. with a 16GB and 30GB drives here's your raid options and max logical disk size:
    raid 0: 30GB
    raid 1: 16GB
    JBOD: 46GB
  5. Don't raid SSDs. With current controllers and firmware, it knocks out the functioning of the TRIM command and the speed of the drives degrades over time.
  6. WyomingKnott said:
    Don't raid SSDs. With current controllers and firmware, it knocks out the functioning of the TRIM command and the speed of the drives degrades over time.

That's a problem of the past.
  7. WyomingKnott said:
    Don't raid SSDs. With current controllers and firmware, it knocks out the functioning of the TRIM command and the speed of the drives degrades over time.

i have 2 WD 256GB SSD's. individually they benchmark 240MB/s seq read and 180MB/s seq write. but in RADI 0 they do 385MB/s and 260MB/s. clearly the loss of TRIM was more than overcome.
  8. Branden said:
    i have 2 WD 256GB SSD's. individually they benchmark 240MB/s seq read and 180MB/s seq write. but in RADI 0 they do 385MB/s and 260MB/s. clearly the loss of TRIM was more than overcome.

To Branden and Tulx both: cool! Any idea why it works? Is Garbage Collection good enough to compensate? I'm pretty sure that if the TRIM / RAID issue had been overcome I would have read about it.
  9. WyomingKnott said:
    To Branden and Tulx both: cool! Any idea why it works? Is Garbage Collection good enough to compensate? I'm pretty sure that if the TRIM / RAID issue had been overcome I would have read about it.

i don't know enough about the inner workings of RAID or TRIM or garbage collection to be able to speculate why it works. i had no idea myself how RAID 0, JBOD, and leaving them as individual drives would compare so i benchmarked all scenarios, turns out RAID 0 was fastest so i stuck with it.
  10. First - The effectiveness of CG is highly dependent on three factors:
    (a) The Controller in the SSD, The marvel being the worst.
    (b) The amount of free space
    (c) How the user interface (uses) the SSD

Some comments on raid0
    - Raid0 improves sequencial read/writes around 50/60% as branden pointed out on his. This provides a big benifit when working with large files. Does very little to improve small file random read/writes and no improvement in access time. These two factors are the most important in boot time and program load. - branden, how much did these two factor improve on your raid0 setup.

My 2 Cents:
    - Raid0 may be the choice when you have a pair of larger capacity drives and can leave a fair amount unused. My personal oppion is that with 2 very small drives, Not recommended, unless you plan on using them as a data drive and leave 20% of the avalable space free. (2 x 16 - .2 x 32 = 26 gigs Dec, so really less - TOO SMALLL for a boot drive + no trim) Vs a 16 - 10% + a 30 - 10% as two seperate drives for data with trim.
Ask a new question

Read More

NAS / RAID Kingston SSD Storage