Sign in with
Your question

Kingston 16GB-SSD and 30GB, RAID?

Last response: in Storage
July 10, 2011 11:02:18 AM

Will a Kingston 16GB work in RAID-0 with a Kingston 30GB EG..

Kingston 30GB SSDNow V
And
Kingston 16GB 2.5" SATA-II S100

Please help me, because i am trying to put 2 SSD's in raid on my next build
July 10, 2011 12:29:13 PM

As far I have seen, is that the 30GB would be cut down to the smallest drive. Is that true?
Related resources
a b G Storage
July 11, 2011 8:46:06 AM

Hi

Yes. To run a Raid 0, the information is theoretically split equally between the two drives. This means that drive sizes have to be equal. You would get a 30GB rain drive.
a b G Storage
July 11, 2011 1:44:16 PM

with a 16GB and 30GB drives here's your raid options and max logical disk size:
raid 0: 30GB
raid 1: 16GB
JBOD: 46GB
a c 302 G Storage
July 12, 2011 4:34:43 PM

Don't raid SSDs. With current controllers and firmware, it knocks out the functioning of the TRIM command and the speed of the drives degrades over time.
July 13, 2011 7:05:23 AM

WyomingKnott said:
Don't raid SSDs. With current controllers and firmware, it knocks out the functioning of the TRIM command and the speed of the drives degrades over time.

That's a problem of the past.
a b G Storage
July 13, 2011 1:36:03 PM

WyomingKnott said:

i have 2 WD 256GB SSD's. individually they benchmark 240MB/s seq read and 180MB/s seq write. but in RADI 0 they do 385MB/s and 260MB/s. clearly the loss of TRIM was more than overcome.
a c 302 G Storage
July 13, 2011 2:12:44 PM

Branden said:
i have 2 WD 256GB SSD's. individually they benchmark 240MB/s seq read and 180MB/s seq write. but in RADI 0 they do 385MB/s and 260MB/s. clearly the loss of TRIM was more than overcome.

To Branden and Tulx both: cool! Any idea why it works? Is Garbage Collection good enough to compensate? I'm pretty sure that if the TRIM / RAID issue had been overcome I would have read about it.
a b G Storage
July 13, 2011 4:45:10 PM

WyomingKnott said:
To Branden and Tulx both: cool! Any idea why it works? Is Garbage Collection good enough to compensate? I'm pretty sure that if the TRIM / RAID issue had been overcome I would have read about it.

i don't know enough about the inner workings of RAID or TRIM or garbage collection to be able to speculate why it works. i had no idea myself how RAID 0, JBOD, and leaving them as individual drives would compare so i benchmarked all scenarios, turns out RAID 0 was fastest so i stuck with it.
a c 353 G Storage
July 13, 2011 5:40:05 PM

First - The effectiveness of CG is highly dependent on three factors:
(a) The Controller in the SSD, The marvel being the worst.
(b) The amount of free space
(c) How the user interface (uses) the SSD

Some comments on raid0
- Raid0 improves sequencial read/writes around 50/60% as branden pointed out on his. This provides a big benifit when working with large files. Does very little to improve small file random read/writes and no improvement in access time. These two factors are the most important in boot time and program load. - branden, how much did these two factor improve on your raid0 setup.

My 2 Cents:
- Raid0 may be the choice when you have a pair of larger capacity drives and can leave a fair amount unused. My personal oppion is that with 2 very small drives, Not recommended, unless you plan on using them as a data drive and leave 20% of the avalable space free. (2 x 16 - .2 x 32 = 26 gigs Dec, so really less - TOO SMALLL for a boot drive + no trim) Vs a 16 - 10% + a 30 - 10% as two seperate drives for data with trim.
!