Will an PII x4 945 be a bottleneck for higher end GPU's

tkgclimb

Distinguished
May 9, 2009
I was thinking about getting X4 945 CPU now and putting it in my 750a mobo to boost performance over my x2 5000+ @3.2
I would probably OC it moderately (because it's a 95 WTD in a 95 W socket) like no voltage changes. then I would get a 790fx and a dx11 card when they come out.

So will the X4 945 be too slow for ATI's next gen cards you think, since I heard the performance of a 5870 is slightly over a gtx 295, will a gtx 295 be too fast for it (asking it this way since one can actually test this)

If the 945 is too slow, what would you recommend?

Solution
Yes I'm sure the 945 will be a slight bottleneck to the GTX 295, but the 945 is a good solid chip and should do you quite well, so if you already have the 945, I wouldn't be too concerned with a fast GPU. I'd rather have a good CPU and the fastest GPU you can afford, especially if your on higher resolutions (which is more GPU bound).

tkgclimb

Distinguished
May 9, 2009
sorry about that, forgot that's an important part, right now I'm doing 1650x1050. but I want to upgrade to at least 1920x1080.

the settings on them will be as high as possible (duh)

As for the support of the 750a, yes the socket is rated at just the right whats, and there is a BIOS update that xfx released that supports the PII's (I even checked with them)

Thanks for the reply

This will all depend on what monitor resolution that your going to be gaming on. The CPU will be a good upgrade, assuming your mobo supports the PhII CPU's. If your mobo requires a mobo BIOS flash to support the PhII CPU's, remember to flash the BIOS PRIOR to installing the new CPU.

tkgclimb

Distinguished
May 9, 2009
^looks like I beat you,

as I said the mobo does support it (and if it doesn't I get to yell at XFX), and just flashed the BIOS yesterday.

BTW I see you, like me, like to run a maxed out PSU.

No you didn't beat me, I had started my reply and then looked up some 750a mobo's to see if they had supported the PhII CPU's. Than I had some distractions at home, so to say the least it took me a few extra min. to respond to posts. And yes I'm pushing my system on the PSU that I have. I didn't know this at the time, but that is what it is at for the last 3 years! I will be upgrading the PSU to a 400w or better PSU by Christmas time. This will be the beginning of my upgrades :)
As far as your proposed GPU upgrade, I wouldn't by a GTX 295 right now, but I'd rather get a 4890 than spend >$200 difference from the 4890 to the GTX 295. I think at 1920 x 1080 is still a pretty good resolution on a 4890, but that is just my opinion.

tkgclimb

Distinguished
May 9, 2009
thanks for taking the time to get a correct answer (looking it up and all)

But you misundertsand me (which is fair since it was very confusing)

I want to get a PII 945, and then get a DX11 card like the 5870, so I was asking will the 945 bottleneck the 5870,

But since it is unfair to ask one to compare a CPU to a GPU that isn't out yet, i decided to ask about whether the GTX295 (which I am not considering) would bottleneck the 945 since it is the closest GPU in terms of power.

Yes I'm sure the 945 will be a slight bottleneck to the GTX 295, but the 945 is a good solid chip and should do you quite well, so if you already have the 945, I wouldn't be too concerned with a fast GPU. I'd rather have a good CPU and the fastest GPU you can afford, especially if your on higher resolutions (which is more GPU bound).

Solution

tkgclimb

Distinguished
May 9, 2009
yeah and since I will do a mild OC at the beginning and a more agressive one once I get a 790fx, I think your right, it will do quite nicely (and will be bottlenecked less at higher resolutions and or higher AA)

thanks

tkgclimb

Distinguished
May 9, 2009
yeah and since I will do a mild OC at the beginning and a more agressive one once I get a 790fx, I think your right, it will do quite nicely (and will be bottlenecked less at higher resolutions and or higher AA)

thanks