Sign in with
Your question

Phenom II X4 945 temperatures

Last response: in CPUs
December 2, 2009 9:02:10 PM

Hi all:) 

I just got a Phenom II 945 (3GHz) to upgrade an older Athlon X2 and noticed temperatures much highr than I expected. The CPU idels at 39C, whereas many users (e.g. on newegg) reported that theirs idles at 29C and operates at 40-45C under load. I have the C2 (next to last stepping) of the CPU and it is the 95W TDP verson, so I was hoping for lower tempreatures.

I have not loaded it yet but I assume it will go up to 50C right away.

My only thought is that I replaced the cheap thermal paste on the stock cooler with Arctic Silver 5 which typically takes a while to deliver best cooling effects, but still 10C above what I thought was notmal seems like a lot. Did I just get a poor piece of silicon?

Any thoughts or advice?
a c 213 à CPUs
December 2, 2009 9:08:09 PM

What the ambient temperature? My 955 generally sits about 10C above case temp, if it gets toasty on the floor it will sit at around 37C, this is with a little bit of undervolting too. Try boosting your case airflow a bit, i kicked the 2 fans in my antec 300 up to medium and dropped my idle temp 3C and load temp 6C, i figure with a couple more fans it would probably be much closer to ambient but it stays cool enough for me.

Run prime95, mine actually doesnt heat up that fast, assuming the 945 has the same heatsink as the 955 there is a lot of mass there and it will take quite a bit to heat it up so it should rise fairly slowly, mine tops out at about 51C.
December 2, 2009 9:08:37 PM

Well, what cpu cooler are you using? Did you clean the old compound well? because there is still some left. What case are you using?
Related resources
December 2, 2009 10:22:57 PM

Thanks for your responses. OK, some more info to answer your questions.

Case temp is 29C (according to case sensor - not a very sophisticated one though), Mobo temp is 34C.

Using the stock cooler, and I'm pretty sure I cleaned it well (used isopryl and I've done it many many times before).

The case is a no-name 100% aluminum box. It has two 120mm side fans (running at medium speed) and two 80mm rear fans running at high speed.

Temperatures were never a problem with the previous CPU (Athlon 64 X2 5600+ 65W). The PC is sitting in a cold room, next to a glass wall and has had pretty good thermal behaviour even in summer with 43C outside.
December 3, 2009 7:14:25 AM

I tested the CPU under load and at 50% utilization it stayed around 49C. Even with the stock cooler I expected better.

Should I spend the money on a (probably expensive) aftermarket cooler, or just sell this 2nd hand and get another one?
a c 115 à CPUs
December 3, 2009 4:36:07 PM

1) Check the voltage; and/or

2) Clear your CMOS and flash to the latest BIOS for your mobo.

You may also consider a slight undervolt and determine what impact that has on your temps. Download and install CPUz. Compare the voltage setting in the BIOS to that reported in CPUz (especially if you have an AM2+ mobo) to see what insanity may lie there - LOL
December 4, 2009 6:35:56 AM

Already have the latest BIOS (apart from a beta bios which I don't want to load).

Re: the voltage, I have been trying to undervolt the CPU with k10stat. Unfortunately, although this is one of the CPUs, which was highlighted in the recent article on fine-tuning cool n' quiet, I was unable to reach stability with anything less than the default currents.

Might be because my motherboard (Gigabyte GA-MA770-UD3 r2) is an Am2+ board and this is an AM3 CPU.

Anyway default CPU voltages are between 0.95-1.3v (depending on p-state) and I was unable to reduce these by more than 0.025v.

Looks like I got a lemon...
a c 115 à CPUs
December 4, 2009 4:41:14 PM

dimitrik said:
Already have the latest BIOS (apart from a beta bios which I don't want to load).

Re: the voltage, I have been trying to undervolt the CPU with k10stat. Unfortunately, although this is one of the CPUs, which was highlighted in the recent article on fine-tuning cool n' quiet, I was unable to reach stability with anything less than the default currents.

Might be because my motherboard (Gigabyte GA-MA770-UD3 r2) is an Am2+ board and this is an AM3 CPU.

Anyway default CPU voltages are between 0.95-1.3v (depending on p-state) and I was unable to reduce these by more than 0.025v.

Looks like I got a lemon...

It's possible ... but I don't think you have a lemon --- we just need to figure out a way to get the temps under better control.

The 770 AM2+ needs tweaking in some fashion. I'd start a trouble ticket with Gigabyte if you have yet to do so - might even get AMD involved, too.

The 40-45c under load is pretty much standard. Are you getting clean power from your PSU? Remove your battery for 20 minutes or so to clear the CMOS --- ask Gigabyte if the beta BIOS improves power management.

I don't have a 770 - I've got a 795g AM2+ using a single 4-pin in the 2x4 connector. If you use the single 4-pin you should only use the 20-pin main power connector (leave the extra '+4' pins disconnected).

The BIOS voltage never seems to jive what is reported in Windows but I have been able to undervolt the snot out of anything I've put in it.

Can you run OCCT3 and check for any ripple from your PSU ?

December 4, 2009 5:25:46 PM

Thanks for the advice. I'll check the PSU (it'a brand new cooler master 85+ model so it should be acceptable at least). There were no problems with my previous CPU but that was a 65W low energy model/
I am using both 4 pin connectors and the 20+4 connector as well.

One thing I'll start with is check the Arctic Silver on the CPU, in case it was not properly applied, then clean and re-apply it. Then I will try undervolting from BIOS in case that works better than K10 stat. I'll report back here over the weekend.

I'm not sure Gigabyte will help much since this isn't really a bug. They don't guarantee super-low temps:)  Do you think it's worth it?
As for the beta bios I'm sure it will be full release before the end of the month. no need to take chances. The changelog says it adds options to control cores separately, so it might make a difference but I doubt it...

Thanks again!
December 5, 2009 5:27:16 AM

You could get a Core Contact Freezer, $25 dollars after rebate on newegg, cools like $80 cooler
December 6, 2009 11:58:48 AM

Never mind guys - I decided I didn't want it after all. I run a bunch of tests and decided it's not quite up to the job, so I'll sell it and go back to my Athlon X2 until I can save enough to upgrade to an Intel Quad.

Thanks for all your help.
!