Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Raid0 and data retention?

Last response: in Storage
July 10, 2011 3:06:41 PM

I currently have a 1tb drive with windows 7 pro and no partitions installed, I would like to add a second 1tb drive for more space and better performance (RAID0) how can I achieve this and keep my data, pictures etc... ?

More about : raid0 data retention

a b $ Windows 7
a c 82 G Storage
July 10, 2011 4:15:33 PM

You need to image the drive, create the RAID 0 and then restore from the image. Since RAID 0 increases the risks of data loss, you definitely want to backup important data on a regular basis.
m
l
July 10, 2011 8:19:15 PM

how do I image the drive?
m
l
Related resources

Best solution

a b $ Windows 7
a c 82 G Storage
July 10, 2011 9:01:23 PM

You can use commercial software like Acronis True Image or free software like Clonezilla and others: http://www.thefreecountry.com/utilities/backupandimage....

Windows 7 Pro also includes backup software, but it might not fully meet your cloning requirements.

I presume that you enabled RAID in the BIOS before installing Windows 7 or that you'll do it before cloning the hard disk. For more info: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/922976
July 10, 2011 10:07:10 PM

Best answer selected by jijoslin.
m
l
July 11, 2011 2:13:44 AM

Actually, I think your "best answer" is wrong. You can image your drive with whatever you want, but this is futile, as you can't put this image back on the stripped drives. You definitely need a fresh instalation there. So, you may just copy all the data /without the installed software/ on a temporary location, configure your new stripe, freshly install al the software and then copy your data back.
But yes - you'll definitely need to backup frequently everithing important from this stripe.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
a c 82 G Storage
July 11, 2011 3:19:08 AM

It can be done, but it depends on the backup software being used. The OP can read http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/window...

A fresh installation certainly is much easier. Leaving the original disk as is and adding the second one for storage is even easier.
m
l
July 11, 2011 3:51:45 AM

And how exactly it can be done with any of the softwares you propose if you don't have an OS installed on the system? And if you first install a Windows on the stripe then what - do you say - he should override it with the image, do you, really?

And btw. if clonezilla is capable of correctly implementing an image from a single HDD to a stripped rig, then just go get the Hiren's - the clonezilla is there, but the difference is that you can boot it from there.
m
l
July 11, 2011 11:18:13 AM

pepe2907 said:
Actually, I think your "best answer" is wrong. You can image your drive with whatever you want, but this is futile, as you can't put this image back on the stripped drives. You definitely need a fresh instalation there. So, you may just copy all the data /without the installed software/ on a temporary location, configure your new stripe, freshly install al the software and then copy your data back.
But yes - you'll definitely need to backup frequently everithing important from this stripe.

Thanks for the info pepe2907, I'm still learning a great deal!
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
a c 82 G Storage
July 11, 2011 1:19:01 PM

pepe2907 said:
And how exactly it can be done with any of the softwares you propose if you don't have an OS installed on the system? And if you first install a Windows on the stripe then what - do you say - he should override it with the image, do you, really?

And btw. if clonezilla is capable of correctly implementing an image from a single HDD to a stripped rig, then just go get the Hiren's - the clonezilla is there, but the difference is that you can boot it from there.

I haven't checked if Clonezilla can actually do it, but I know that a version of Acronis True Image can perform a bare metal restore to a different hardware platform or a VM. Is it worth the trouble for a single PC? No, but the OP wanted to know if it could be done, not how much it would cost.
m
l
July 11, 2011 2:25:51 PM

Acronis true Image? Maybe, but you failed to mention, that it needs to be installed on top of a working operation system /and it can not lye on the strip/. That's first.
Second - there is a little difference, between restoring /some average/ partition and restoring a system partition. And I pretty much doubt a windows , installed to work on a single drive will work as well on a stripped system drive, because - just the first thing appearing to me - it will not have a configured driver to handle the strip.
Third - it's definitely not a "bare metal restore" - exactly the opposite actually - it is a logical disc level restore, meaning almost top level, while a "bare metal" restore would mean a restore at the level of cluster allocation aligning, and it should be performed only on /an another item of/ the same hardware.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
a c 82 G Storage
July 11, 2011 5:19:35 PM

I never wrote that a backup didn't have to be performed before anything else. As a matter of fact I recommended a complete backup followed by a restore on a different hard disk to make sure that the backup is working properly.

Having the backup software installed and the recovery CD created should be the first step. The next step should be a complete backup just in case something wrong happens.

Please read http://kb.acronis.com/content/1566.
m
l
July 11, 2011 6:17:32 PM

I'd reccomend checking also the Hiren's tools - they are free, mostly os and also pretty popular.
Here: http://www.hiren.info/
Don't be blundered by the web page - it's a collection of free software, the guy is not payed for this, he supports the site by few wallpaper advertisements.
m
l
!