Everything but gpu working

heycanyouguyshearme

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2009
I got a brand new computer today nvidia gtx 260, antec ew 650, amd phenom x2 3.1ghz, wd 500 gb hd, samsung dvd drive, gigabite GA-MA790X-UD4P, antec 900 case. When I turn it on everything runs, keyboard lights up and mouse and the gtx 260 fan is spinning but nothing displays on my screen, i tried changing pcie slots, changing the power connectors, everything. but nothing seems to work. I am using a vga cable to connect my 260 to my monitor and a dvi converter to my gtx 260 because theres no vga port on the gtx 260, is that impeding it to work? anyone got any ideas to fix? help? I also hear no system beeps but i dont think i got a system speaker....

Now I might be reading the "GA-EP45-UD3P" mobo comment wrong, but that is a s775 (Intel) mobo and your putting in an AMD Phenom II CPU?? Am I just missing something here??
Gigabyte AMD mobo's have a different naming/numbering scheme than the Intel based mobo's. You would need to be on a 780g/790gx/770/790/etc. in their naming/numbering scheme to match up with a Phenom II CPU. The Intel boards have 31/35/41/45 for s775 mobo's.

Well depending on which Mobo you actually have, you usually have to pull the CMOS batter out of the mobo or just have to switch a jumper on the mobo to reset the CMOS battery. There are other possibilities, but we NEED TO KNOW WHAT MOBO you actually have. Please let us know EXACTLY which mobo you have, so we can help you. The mobo manual will usually explain how to reset the CMOS battery, but at this point I/we can assist you with the reset without the correct mobo make/model.

Thanks, I thought it looked a little fishy there. He said it supports AM2/AM3 chips though, so I don't know where that came from. The model # is obviously an Intel mobo, but it would be nice to know for sure what he REALLY has.

Did you try CLEARING the CMOS yet??

By your mobo manual it says:
20) CLR_CMOS (Clearing CMOS Jumper)
Use this jumper to clear the CMOS values (e.g. date information and BIOS configurations) and reset the CMOS values to factory defaults. To clear the CMOS values, place a jumper cap on the two pins to temporarily short the two pins or use a metal object like a screwdriver to touch the two pins for a few seconds.

• Always turn off your computer and unplug the power cord from the power outlet before
clearing the CMOS values.
• After clearing the CMOS values and before turning on your computer, be sure to remove
the jumper cap from the jumper. Failure to do so may cause damage to the motherboard.
• After system restart, go to BIOS Setup to load factory defaults (select Load Optimized
Defaults) or manually configure the BIOS settings (refer to Chapter 2, "BIOS Setup," for
BIOS configurations).

Okay, I'd start from scratch than. Pull everything out of the system and place it onto a non-conductive surface (cardboard works well). Put in the minimum amount of parts. 1 HD/1 RAM stick/etc. Pull off the CPU HSF and pull out the CPU from the socket and double check that it's installed in the correct orientation. Put the CPU back into the slot and make sure you have some fresh CPU thermal paste. Re-plug in all connections onto the mobo. Try and power up the system.

heycanyouguyshearme

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2009
Im bringing it into the shop tomorrow, is it possible that my monitor is not compatible with the gtx 260? that may be a stupid question. also the gtx 260 has 2 dvi ports on the back, my monitor has a dvi port but i dont have a cord to connect the two. Im using the vga to dvi adapter on the back of the video card but not on the monitor am I doing something wrong?

heres my monitor:

http://ncix.com/products/index.php?sku=18704

and my video card:

http://www.ncix.com/products/?sku=35504&vpn=896-P3-1257-AR&manufacture=eVGA&promoid=1026

Also it says DVI-I for the video card and DVI-D for the monitor does that mean anything?

Going back through the posts I see that there might be something that you might want to try. I had this issue before on a system when I upgraded the GPU from the onboard one. Double check in BIOS (if you can get there) and see if the onboard GPU has been disabled. You could also try the other DVI port and see if that changes anything. Maybe your DVI to VGA adapter is bad. If you had another one lying around you could try it too.

* Did you try pulling everything out of the system, like I mentioned before?

heycanyouguyshearme

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2009
I got it fixed today, apparently my cpu was mounted improperly :( lol and now i got a diff problem. When I start he computer it goes past bios everything but it says
"Hard Disk Boot Failure Insert System Disk Press Enter" im trying to install windows xp on a burned disc and that happens. But when I try my mobo install disc it seems to work. Should I just get a legit disc or is there something im missing.