Designating SSD as a System Drive?

youngblood1017

Distinguished
May 28, 2011
On my new build i have a 60gb SSD witch i installed windows and a 1tb HDD witch I planed to use for program files all my libraries and everything exept for windows and steam. The problem is that now its saving all of my program files and the files I dont need on my SSD. First whats going to happen when my SSD runs out of space cause i only have some EVGA benchmark programs on there and windows says i only have 15.8gbs left. Second i tried moving all the program file and user file folders witch ended up only copying them. In short does anyone know how to use a SSD as a Windows drive only? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

tecmo34

Administrator
Here are to articles on how to set the default store location & moving your user folder.
■http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/39689-program-files-directory-change-default-installs.html
■http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/87555-user-profile-change-default-location.html

I sounds like you will need to uninstall programs and move them to the storage drive. Another option is to always do a custom install and select the drive location of the storage drive to install.

youngblood1017

Distinguished
May 28, 2011

i tried it but it did nothing

invlem

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2008
one way you can save a lot of space is to move your page file off your SSD, I have a 120gb SSD and windows 7 by default allocated 18gb of that to paging (this space is reserved regardless of its users or not).. it's an easy fix, takes about 30 seconds and a reboot, to move the page file to your non-OS drive.. it should be under performance tab (if you right click my computer, and select properties

pepe2907

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2010
It's a strange thing but all you buy these SSD s for your system drives and to make your windows swap files there /which is actually the only possible reason to buy a thing like this/ but do you know that this charming little thing actually have a ridiculowsly low write cicle life span /I read about something so ridiculous as about 3000 writes, compare this with some 500 000 to milions of the contemporary HDDs/ so essentially your little precious thing is destined to die at best after just a few years /actually, if it's an Intel, I strongly suspect them of using some technique of quietly remapping the adresses of the dead cells on their drives, which is maybe the reason they are using odd numbers for capacities like 60 GB instead of 64/?

TRENDING THREADS