Handling Ram Mixing with XMP?

sprunth

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2010
Hello,

I recently received a new set of 2x4GB Patriot ram and I'm not sure how to add it to my current ram (into the two unused slots).

Current: G.Skill Ripjaws 2x2GB F3-12800CL9Q-8GBRL
New: Patriot G Series Sector 5 2x4GB PGV38G1600ELK

Since the two run at different voltages (though timing is the same), I was wondering if turning on XMP would resolve any conflict between the two. G.Skill ram is at 1.5, Patriot is at 1.65v.

My setup currently is a i7-860 at stock (2.8) with an Asus P7P55D Pro motherboard.

Also, at 2.8GHz, XMP shouldn't go to 1600MHz, should it?

Eh, been too long since I've read up on these things.

Thanks.

Solution
First thing, and sorry, I gotta ask, can you change out the new patriot ram for the gskill? Second thing, mixing ram modules usually isn't a good idea but you don't know if you don't try right? So, Put it in and first run all 4 sticks at the stock voltage and speed settings. Both should run at 1.5v and 1333 speed. Check that first just to see if they will work together. Then, if that works, and after you have done that go ahead and put it in xmp mode and see what happens to the dram v. If it goes to 1.65v like I suspect go ahead and see if it boots. Most likely it will since you mentioned the timings were the same, but how about the command rate, cycle time and refresh rate? If it doesn't then you can keep them at the 1333...

suteck

Distinguished
First thing, and sorry, I gotta ask, can you change out the new patriot ram for the gskill? Second thing, mixing ram modules usually isn't a good idea but you don't know if you don't try right? So, Put it in and first run all 4 sticks at the stock voltage and speed settings. Both should run at 1.5v and 1333 speed. Check that first just to see if they will work together. Then, if that works, and after you have done that go ahead and put it in xmp mode and see what happens to the dram v. If it goes to 1.65v like I suspect go ahead and see if it boots. Most likely it will since you mentioned the timings were the same, but how about the command rate, cycle time and refresh rate? If it doesn't then you can keep them at the 1333 setting. You will notice the difference in the amount of memory more than the difference in speed. The only differences in running the 1.5v at 1.65v will be a heat increase and of course, shorten the MTBF, (lifespan), to some degree. Make sure you have good airflow through the case to help with the heat. But the best thing would be to get one of the memory coolers. Or this one.

Solution

sprunth

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2010
Thanks for the reply. I was able to add the new ram in addition to the old ram and boot. Asus' "Auto" setting for the DRAM seems to work well; hwinfo32 reports the settings correctly, including the different states (XMP). :)

TRENDING THREADS