henry

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2003

When I go to defrag it tells me I have inconsistancies
and I must use chkdsk or scandisk but I dont have either
one When I go to command prompt and type chkdsk it tells
me it cannot complete with read only files

Henry,

Right-click your hard drive and select Properties.
Switch to Tools tab, and run the scan (incl. Bad Sectors detection).

Good Luck!
-----
How to optimize Windows XP, 2000, ME
for the best performance (Step-by-step Visual Guide):
http://www.fixyourwindows.com

"Henry" wrote:

> When I go to defrag it tells me I have inconsistancies
> and I must use chkdsk or scandisk but I dont have either
> one When I go to command prompt and type chkdsk it tells
> me it cannot complete with read only files

Henry, go to MyComputer>rt click on C:Drive Icon>select
Properties>Tools>Check Now. You will get a
message that tells you chkdsk will work on next startup. Restart and
chkdsk should work OK. Try defrag
in Safe Mode.
"Henry" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> When I go to defrag it tells me I have inconsistancies
> and I must use chkdsk or scandisk but I dont have either
> one When I go to command prompt and type chkdsk it tells
> me it cannot complete with read only files

TRENDING THREADS