Cannot defrag

When I go to defrag it tells me I have inconsistancies
and I must use chkdsk or scandisk but I dont have either
one When I go to command prompt and type chkdsk it tells
me it cannot complete with read only files
2 answers Last reply
More about cannot defrag

    Henry,

    Right-click your hard drive and select Properties.
    Switch to Tools tab, and run the scan (incl. Bad Sectors detection).

    Good Luck!
    -----
    How to optimize Windows XP, 2000, ME
    for the best performance (Step-by-step Visual Guide):
    http://www.fixyourwindows.com

    "Henry" wrote:

    > When I go to defrag it tells me I have inconsistancies
    > and I must use chkdsk or scandisk but I dont have either
    > one When I go to command prompt and type chkdsk it tells
    > me it cannot complete with read only files

    Henry, go to MyComputer>rt click on C:Drive Icon>select
    Properties>Tools>Check Now. You will get a
    message that tells you chkdsk will work on next startup. Restart and
    chkdsk should work OK. Try defrag
    in Safe Mode.
    "Henry" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > When I go to defrag it tells me I have inconsistancies
    > and I must use chkdsk or scandisk but I dont have either
    > one When I go to command prompt and type chkdsk it tells
    > me it cannot complete with read only files

Configuration Chkdsk Defragment Windows XP