Adding ssd and os question

axlrose

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2008
Okay, so I've been thinking about adding a new ssd to go along WITH my velociraptor. If I were to do so I'd also install some version of windows 7 64 and move up from vista 32. It sounds like there would be a lot of benefits from this not to mention actually being able to use the 4gb of ram i put in it a few years ago when I made the build not realizing the ram restrictions of vista 32.

My question is, can i install the new os on the ssd and simply uninstall vista 32 from the old hdd and all will be happy, or is there more to it than that?

Thanks.

tecmo34

Administrator
My recommendation is the following:

1) Make a backup of all your vital files & inventory your programs you want to reinstall.

2) Install the SSD in the system with no other drive connected, set BIOS to AHCI mode for SATA controller and install OS.

3) Complete the install of drives... et.

4) Reconnect your VRator and do a clean format to wipe the drive clean of the previous Vista & etc. (only do if you have all required info backed up).

5) Reinstall programs onto the VRaptor (will require you to do custom install or follow these steps to set the default location to the VRaptor: http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/39689-program-files-directory-change-default-installs.html

6) Move your User folder to the VRaptor: http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/87555-user-profile-change-default-location.html

7) Read over this article to increase capacity and tweak your system, as you see fit: http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/ssd-performance-tweak,2911.html

Max Collodi

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2010

Install Windows 7 to the ssd with your old hard drive (and any other hard drives) disconnected. When the new OS is up and running, connect your other drive. (with the power off of course) When you reboot, simply delete the windows folder from the old drive along with any other related folders you deem unnecessary.

axlrose

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2008
My apologies if my attention span is low tonight or if i'm being lazy. I looked at the links and i'm not excited about making backups of 200gb of information and the wiping the drive and moving what I want back on.

If i remove the velociraptor, install the ssd and install windows 7 64, and the reconnect the velociraptor and power the computer back on and uninstall vista 32, is that going to work? will that cause me to run into problems?

thanks.

(1) As mentioned by both posts above - disconnect your HDD, connect your SSD.
(2) Install Windows 7 on SSd and Install all drivers.
(3) Everything looks good - reconnect your HDD - DO NOT delete your vista32 at this time, As you can daul boot to win7 and Vista32 by using the hot key during post (F12 on my gigabyte P55 MB (Note this does not change boot priority in BIOS).
(4) Windows 7 has an excellent Back up utility that will create a image of your "C" drive and that little 100 MB system volume. This is under windows 7 control panel - point to your HDD for where to place this image. Note: you do not need to create the restore disk as you can use the Win 7 installation disk to restore the win 7 IF things go bad (Murphy's law - Do it and not need it, don't do it and regret it - LOL)

- Recommend you read up on SSD tweaks and decide which you what to use.
(a) - I recommend you mange your swap file, set min/max to same value. Your choice on location. Set to HDD to minimize writes to SSD: set to SSD for performance.
(b) disable Hibernation - easy to do.
(c) move temp file to HDD. Not much performance lose, but decrease writes.
(d) move user ( as techmo34 stated ) or just move "My doc/video/ect" to HDD

(5) Install programs - Note depending on the size of your SSD you may install all programs to the SSD (Normally the default), or just the ones you use frequently and the remainder change the install to path to the HDD - Not sure, use google.

(6) Everthing still great - Redo that image backup of your SSD (can delete old back-up).

(7) Leave your Vista32 on HDD for at least a Month - Although it is a small percentage, some SSDs go bellyup in a short time frame, Yea, Murphy's law again.

(8) at some point you can back up all your files and data from the HDD and reformat it.
Note: if you have the HDD set up with two partitions (1st one for system/programs(old C) and a 2nd one (Old D) for All your files and data - EASY, just reformat your OLD "C" drive.

with a clean install of Win7 64-bit. you WILL have to re-install all of your applications.

axlrose

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2008
Can you define 'applications' for me more clearly?

Also, as I reread Chief, you seem to be saying to make a backup of the ssd whereas tecmo seems to be saying make a backup of my hdd. I feel like there are a bunch of good strategies here, but the waters are getting muddied as some steps seems the same and other steps seem different. I'm sure all suggestions make it to the same end point, but i'm getting a bit lost on which to choose.

(1) On your files/data on the HDD. These files should normally always be backed up in the event of a HDD failure. Baring that, When you install the SSD the Bios should be set to AHCI. If it was set to other than AHCI when you installed the operating system to the HDD and you change it to AHCI for the SSD, you may have a problem accessing the HDD when you reconnect it. If the HDD was installed using AHCI then you should have no problem acessing it after reconnecting.

(2) My advice on backing up your SSD is valid.

(3) Going from 32 bit -> 64 Bit requires a clean install. All programs have to be re-installed as they require entries in the registry. However, if you created the image right after installing operating system and programs then any future "clean" install would simply be a matter of (a) wiping the SSD and (b) restoring the image file.

That will work fine for data files, but applications require an entry in the registry. The only way to get that is to re-install the application.

TRENDING THREADS