Normstar

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2010
Guys,

Is a $60-100 UPS worth it? I'm in LA and our power is stable, right now I'm just using a trip-lite surge. I don't want or need to spend $300+ for a true isolated one, but should I get one around $60-100? If so id appreciate suggestions! Thx for the help, I really appreciate you guys!

N*

beenthere

Distinguished
I've used APC UPSs for many years with good success including the $100 version. If you can't afford data loss then a UPS is a must. If you have poor quality grid power with surges and brownouts - a UPS is required to protect your PC and data. Many people skip a UPS and later regret it when their PC is damaged or they lose data.

LA? I heard about planned power outages in the Norcal area. Not sure whether it affects Socal and the LA area.

Based on this you can make your decision.

In any event, frequent backups are a must. Don't rely on any kind of UPS system in lieu of backups.

blackhawk1928

Distinguished
If your data is important is important to you, I recommend a UPS. If your computer is important to you (meaning high-end/expensive), and your power is unstable ( really unstable voltages/brownouts), then I recommend a UPS with a Voltage regulator. Even though your power supply has one anyway, if the voltage drops are severe and frequent and are of a long time, the capacitors of the PSU might not be able to handle it for such a severity or length of time which is why a voltage regulator giving you a stable 120V average is great to have.