Best lcd monitors for 1366x768 screen resolution

koneko-chan

Distinguished
Sep 29, 2009
Hi,

I just bought a new laptop that has 1366x768 screen resolution. I was going to buy a 22" lcd on sale along with it but the sales guy said that the picture would not look good and that I should get a 19" max size.

On the lap screen, it's kind of odd, very wide and narrow. I'm used to an old-fashioned 19" tv monitor-type screen.

What is the best type of lcd display for this resolution?

Could I get good res on a larger than 19" LCD?

I wanted a 22-24".

Thanks!

Solution
You can use any monitor. Just set the laptop to exclusively use the external monitor. However laptop graphics cards are much weaker then their desktop counterparts.

It won't look blurry at all. I hook up my laptop via hdmi to my big screen LCD all the time for watching netflix and movies. Running games outside the monitors native resolution isn't the end of the world and doesn't look THAT BAD.

tortnotes

Distinguished
Jul 31, 2009
The salesman might have meant that 1366x768 running on a 22" monitor (typically 1680x1050 native resolution) would not look good. This is true, as the monitor would be forced to stretch some pixels and the screen would look blurry.... but you can configure your laptop to output through the VGA or HDMI port at whatever resolution you like.
Do you want to mirror the laptop display, or keep the laptop off to one side and use it with an external monitor, keyboard, and mouse?

koneko-chan

Distinguished
Sep 29, 2009
I want to keep the lap to the side and use Logitech wireless keyboard, mouse, headset & a large monitor.

I found this at TigerDirect, because the sales guys said to get a 19". :(
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=4605316&CatId=170
They said that the dynamic contrast ratio and response time were the best. I believed them. :(

I don't really like the 768 height, wanted to go with something else, but they said I would get a blurry picture. I can refuse delivery and start over again. I'm under their 30 day warranty for returns. It's not even HMDI and my Gateway NV58814u is. Nother :(

Display Type: Widescreen LCD
Screen Size: 19 inches
Diagonal Size: 18.5"
Display Format: 16:9 Wide LCD
Condition: New
Interface Type: DVI VGA
Dynamic Contrast Ratio: 50000:1
Brightness: 300 cd/m²
Response Time: 2 ms
Horizontal Viewing Angle: 170 degrees
Vertical Viewing Angle: 160 degrees
Maximum Resolution: 1366 x 768
Cabinet Color: Gloss Black
Unit Dimensions (WxHxD): 17.8" x 13.9" x 2.3"
Dimensions With Stand: 17.8" x 14.1" x 7.2"
Unit Weight: 7.6 lbs.
Power Consumption: 21W

You can use any monitor. Just set the laptop to exclusively use the external monitor. However laptop graphics cards are much weaker then their desktop counterparts.

It won't look blurry at all. I hook up my laptop via hdmi to my big screen LCD all the time for watching netflix and movies. Running games outside the monitors native resolution isn't the end of the world and doesn't look THAT BAD.

Solution

koneko-chan

Distinguished
Sep 29, 2009
thanks for the response.

I tried to talk to TD about it last night, but sales guy ignoring me after I explained dilemma. They have decent 22" screens for same price as this 19".

(Altho vy nice ppl, they are just pressured by TD to make sales, not make customers happy with informed suggestions. :sarcastic: Even trying to get me to buy CA security software e'en tho I already have another brand.)

I just play an online MMOG, which looks fine on my new lap tho weird with the overly-wide screen res. :pt1cable: But would like it to look supa, if possible.

Any advice, recommendations would be appreciated.

Thank you.

koneko-chan

Distinguished
Sep 29, 2009

I want to keep the lap to the side and use Logitech wireless keyboard, mouse, headset & a large monitor.

I found this at TigerDirect, because the sales guys said to get a 19". :(
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applica [...] &CatId=170
They said that the dynamic contrast ratio and response time were the best. I believed them. :(

I don't really like the 768 height, wanted to go with something else, but they said I would get a blurry picture. I can refuse delivery and start over again. I'm under their 30 day warranty for returns. It's not even HMDI and my Gateway NV58814u is. Nother :(

Display Type: Widescreen LCD
Screen Size: 19 inches
Diagonal Size: 18.5"
Display Format: 16:9 Wide LCD
Condition: New
Interface Type: DVI VGA
Dynamic Contrast Ratio: 50000:1
Brightness: 300 cd/m²
Response Time: 2 ms
Horizontal Viewing Angle: 170 degrees
Vertical Viewing Angle: 160 degrees
Maximum Resolution