Distinguished
Aug 15, 2009
Hey there, recently just built a new computer and here are my specs,

-Phenom II x2 550
-4gb Patriot 800MHz
-Gigabyte GA-MA720 US3
-Sapphire HD4850 512mb
-Windows 7 32bit OS

I was wondering if there is anyway to improve my system performance through games?

The current drivers i have are latest catalyst drivers 9.9

and the audio motherboard drivers because there are non current that i know of for windows 7.

can things like updating the bios to f5 improve performance?

the reason I ask this is that well videos like these http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=09tdkosQ0tg
he has a worse system build than me and can run crysis using the xconfig 1.3 mod on ultra high with 37 fps?

and i get like 20 mabye less. also gta 4 runs like crap! i know its badly optimised but seriously ,gta 4 also on my setup looks horrible! the textures are fuzzy and shadows are fuzzy. and my fps goes from like 20-30 which lags almost all the time.
Everyone that i have seen online has patched gta 4 and has increase performance by huge amounts. where as i have improved nothing. this really annoys me

my friend has an intel E7400 + 8gb ram + 9800gt 512mb and he runs gta 4 no problems at all.

i was thinking about unlocking my cpu to a triple or quad core x4 b50.

but if there is anyway to increase my pc performance would help me alot.

psycho sykes

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2009
I don't think you can unlock Phenom II s using a GigaByte main-board because its BIOS is patched :( , While you might want to check your GPU by some benching tool like future-mark to see if it's actually running also you might need to RMA it.

When is "Recently" when you built your PC.

Do you have any other PSU to test with, I never heard of Enermax though.

Oops, You're asking this because of the video!! To be honest I don't think this can be counted as an indicator even :??: I never trust a YouTube video to judge such a thing but it sure gives you an idea.

What's your Res. ?

Medo

instantcoffee

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2009
well atm i can run crysis normal at all high settings and 1440x900 x4 AA because it gives me good fps rather than any other res and still looks good,

also like couple of weeks ago i built this comp. also i havent touched the bios. never been patch i just asked that if i updated the bios would it improve my performance.

and also do u know why i dont see any performance improvements with the gta 4 patch? im installing gta 4 again atm.

psycho sykes

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2009
I Don't know much about GTA IV as I'm not legal for its rating yet, So hope someone else does.
However I do know something about GTAs That they are EXTREMELY POORLY coded games when it comes to wide range compatibility.
My big brother plays it on a ATI mobility X1400 128MB, C2D, 2GB 533MHz at 1440x900 High with average of 25FPS at heavy scenes, While my cousin has a C2Q, GTX 275 (GigaByte), 4GB DDR2 800 and averages at 1280x1024 Medium like 20~30 FPS.

So you never know.

About the BIOS It MAY help the performance but my point was that if you patch it you'll PERMANENTLY lose the ability to unlock x2 to x4 PIIs If you ever actually had it as far as i know only Asrock boards have this feature now and it's a matter of time when the stock is out and the new one is already patched.

Medo

instantcoffee

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2009

psycho sykes

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2009
Oh, Also you might want to know that Crysis is known to prefer nVidia GPUs, Didn't you read "nVidia.. The way it was meant to be played.." badge in the beginning ?
Almost all benches make you sure that Crysis favors nVidia. (They actually stayed away from the enhanced DX10.1 because nVidia doesn't support it)

instantcoffee

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2009
that kind of pisses me off actually the whole nvidia thing. whats the point of having a radeon card then?. they say 30% performance increase than a 9800gt. which obviously is a lie then. nvidia logo is on almost everygame infact i havent seen 1 game where it says radeon. or ati