Graphics Cards & Gaming

snowboarder2006

Distinguished
Sep 29, 2009
i play WoW (i'm addicted gah!) and usually i play on my laptop and it runs smoothly. I want to start playing on my desktop however the fps is quite bad. appearently i have a ATI Radeon x1250. what would be an upgrade so i can run 30-50 fps in a $100-$200 price range? thanks!

godbrother

Distinguished
Aug 22, 2009
The more important part to know would be if your system is AGP or PCI-e. DDR or DDR2.

If it's PCI-e, for 100 bucks you can get a GTS250 which is one of the best cards out there in that price range that plays GTAIV and Crysis at high settings. So it will smack the crap outa' WoW.

But if your on even a lower budget, go onto ebay and get a used 9600GT DDR3. Very good card for a budget, and you can get them for like 40 bucks used.

O, that's of course if it's PCI-e.

Hmm, this is intriguing. Since this is homebuilt, do you still have the manuals for the stuff?

Also, to get full info about the system, try PCWizard (CPUID) and tell us the motherboard model and processor, and any other interesting info.

johnnyq1233

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2007
If this was built about 2 years ago and it uses DDR2 ram then it is most likely a PCI-e board with onboard video.............x1250.
That said, it should be easy to just grab a decent card off the shelf and install as long as your power supply can handle the task!
Please give us your pc specs...ty

JQ

godbrother

Distinguished
Aug 22, 2009
To make it more simple for you, do as the above said. Download CUPID from http://www.cpuid.com/download/cpuz/cpuz_152_setup.exe and then tell us what it says in each tab:

1) What Is Your CPU:
2) What Is Your RAM:
3) What Is Your GPU:

It should say it pretty clearly. Like the CPU Speed, what model it is. The click on the RAM tab on the top, and tell us if its DDR or DDR2. Also, click on the GPU tab and tell us if its PCI-e or AGP.

That simple. Hope this helps.