Two Video Cards In HP m9277c?

justin8

Distinguished
Sep 29, 2009
My video card has two outputs, but I'd like to use 3 monitors and probably upgrade to a 4th, so I bought a second video a week ago and the guy at the store (who worked for HP) said it would work with my computer, but after several hours I can't seem to get it to.

Each card works on it's own, but windows (Vista 64) doesn't recognize either when they're both in and the display adapters don't show up in the device manager.

I've tried installing different drivers, installing one card, disabling it then installing the other and everything else I can think of, but can't get anything to work.

Is it possible to install and use two cards… and if it is, what am I doing wrong?

The video cards are a GeForce 8600 GT PCIe x16 and 8400 GS the PCI card.

Much thanks,

Justin

impaledmango

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2009
you got ripped off my friend.

First off you need to have an SLi ready motherboard, and basically that means you can put Nvidia graphic cards in one motherboard. Second SLi will only work if the graphics cards are the (crossfire is different when it comes to this), third SLi doesnt allow you to have more then 1 monitor at a time, You must disable one graphic card just to get it to run 2 graphics cards.

The only single graphic cards that allows for more then 2 cards is the new 5850 5870 ATI cards, but those are expensive and from what you are telling me not for your needs.

For my advice would be to return the card that you bought and dont bother with it 4 it cant be done without dumping in alot more money then what you are probably willing to spend to be able to use the new ATI cards.

justin8

Distinguished
Sep 29, 2009
Thanks, I figured that must have been the case.

What's the best solution then to run 3 or 4 monitors on my computer. Is there such a thing as a quad output card?

No you don't.

Again incorrect, when in SLi mode only one monitor will be used but in 2D mode output can be displayed on two monitors without having to enable or disable cards

What about the Matrox Triple Head?

I for one would be wary of your 'advice'.

impaledmango

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2009

well I never heard of a Matrox Triple Head, but after reading about you could do that assuming you wont run more then 1280 x 1024, and as far as I know even if you just have the 2 graphics cards (minus the SLi/crossfire board) you still can only run 2 monitors at once, which would be redundant seeing has you can have driver issues and you can do it with one card anyways. And I guess I was wrong in a sense about my other points, but I still think it would be best to sell one of the graphics cards/ return it because they really have no use since you can buy the matrox thing.