Sign in with
Your question

Boot problem

Last response: in Motherboards
March 2, 2010 5:02:58 PM

Hi. Mine freezes at the blue Asus screen and will not post. If I disconnect the hard drive, i can get into bios after 5-10min.
I have a Asus P6T Deluxe

More about : boot problem

a b V Motherboard
March 2, 2010 5:25:03 PM

Is this a new build or an otherwise working PC that started doing this?

- edit

Also, it would help if you list all components.
m
l
a b Ĉ ASUS
a c 108 V Motherboard
March 2, 2010 6:14:38 PM

thaox155, there could be several reasons or theories as to why you are experiencing this problem. For starters, your CPU could be overheating.
At this point, you should start with the troubleshooting guide. Follow the link in my signature.
m
l
Related resources
March 2, 2010 7:52:17 PM

Yes I have follow almost everything from that link besides the beep test b/c I would have to order it which cost money and time and I think its the motherboard.
i7-920, asus p6t deluxe, western digital 320gb, 3x2gb corsair dominator, ocz gamexstrea 700w, antec 900, xfx hd8570.

This is a new system build altogether. The mobo(which i got off a guy) didnt come with the original box and manual and he said it work fine for him. CPU and case is brand new from microcenter and the rest are used from my old system. I got it to work but the usb didnt work and after countless hours and updating bios, I got the usb to semi work. Then I install window vista 64 bit ultimate and the freezes started.
m
l
a b V Motherboard
March 2, 2010 8:40:11 PM

If you can access the BIOS, you are POSTing fine. That tells me the motherboard is fine.

If you're using a hard drive from a previous build, you likely need to repair your windows installation. Boot off your Vista disc, and choose the repair option.
m
l
a b Ĉ ASUS
a c 214 V Motherboard
March 2, 2010 8:53:33 PM

Your system is trying to boot to your old system hardware which it can't find cause it's installed in a completely new system. Format your HD and install windows fresh.
m
l
a b V Motherboard
March 2, 2010 8:58:44 PM

Ya, format is also an option.
m
l
March 2, 2010 9:12:03 PM

Well I WAS able to access the BIOS, now I can't anymore after installing windows. If I unplug my hard drive, it will stay at the asus screen for 5-10min, then I get into bios. But if with the hard drive, it freeze forever. I did try to install fresh windows but it freezes
m
l
a b V Motherboard
March 2, 2010 9:14:39 PM

Try and reset the BIOS plus get another SATA cable for the HD.
m
l
a b V Motherboard
March 2, 2010 11:15:10 PM

Remove the hard drive. Then boot into the BIOS. Make the DVD drive the first boot device. Save and turn off the computer. Then reconnect the hard drive and turn the computer on. You should boot off the windows disc before it tries to boot off the hard drive.
m
l
March 3, 2010 12:10:53 AM

I have. Many MANY times by jumping it and removing the battery. The cable should be fine right? I went back to my old computer for now with the same SATA cable and HD. Works 100% fine.

I have tried doing that but with the hard drive connected, it wont go pass the first screen which is the asus screen. Just freeze there. I let it stayed there for at least 15min already and still there.
m
l
a b V Motherboard
March 3, 2010 12:39:06 AM

thaox155 said:
Well I WAS able to access the BIOS, now I can't anymore after installing windows. If I unplug my hard drive, it will stay at the asus screen for 5-10min, then I get into bios. But if with the hard drive, it freeze forever. I did try to install fresh windows but it freezes

I thought you could get into the BIOS with the hard drive removed?
m
l
March 3, 2010 12:44:54 AM

Yes. But if i reconnect the hard drive like you said to do, it will not work.
m
l
a b V Motherboard
March 3, 2010 1:03:48 AM

Try connecting the hard drive to a different motherboard port.
m
l
March 3, 2010 1:18:52 AM

Done that too.
m
l
a b V Motherboard
March 3, 2010 1:26:57 AM

Boot into the BIOS, and disable the logo. Then you can see where it's getting stuck with the hard drive connected.
m
l
March 3, 2010 2:42:24 AM

Do you know which one that is? Its the logo and has the DEL for set up and and TAB for POST something.
m
l
a b V Motherboard
March 3, 2010 2:47:24 AM

The delete key should get you into the BIOS setup.
m
l
March 3, 2010 3:25:47 AM

But it doesnt cus it freeze there. what i been saying
m
l
a b Ĉ ASUS
a c 108 V Motherboard
March 3, 2010 4:36:10 PM

Let's see if all of what has been done so far can be summed up.

Thaox155, your primary concern is that your new build will not POST. You suspect mobo because it wasn't bought from a reputable source (online or in-store). So far we know that your mobo will POST w/o your HDD connected. You have tried different SATA ports on the mobo, but still no POST. As it stands, your no POST concerns seem to be related to the installation of Windows Vista 64-bit.

If I missed something, please point it out.

Have you tried installing Vista 64 on your old HDD to use in your new build?
Have you tried formatting the HDD and using a different version of Windows?
Have you checked the mobo manufacturer's website for compatability issues with your current build?

m
l
March 14, 2010 7:28:28 PM

Okay. Its spring break now and I have time to touch this computer again. I bought a differnt HDD and using the same sata cable, I got it to reinstall windows vista but accidentally install the 32 bit instead of the 64 bit. After finishing installing, I have the same problem as before when I first finish this build and using my old HDD. Everything is fine besides the usbs. They are power on but computer wont detect anything. I turn off and on the usb setting in bios and still nothing. Bios is up to date still but not windows update but I dont think that'll matter. I even got myself a dual ps/2 to ps/2 b/c Asus p6t only comes with one ps/2 but when I use the dual ps/2, only one of the work. So its either the ps/2 mouse or the usb converted to ps/2 keyboard(since i dont have a ps/2 keybaord).
m
l
!