Installing windows 7 on another pc instead?

Powerman287

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2009
Hello, i just have a quick question.

Does anyone know if you can install windows 7 on another pc instead of your current one? Because i have just bought a new pc and i am selling my current one, but i would like to install my windows 7 to my new one and delete it from the old one if that is possible. I do have both the original CD and key since i bought that separately with my current pc.

Thanks in advance

howardp6

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2008
If it is an OEM version of Windows 7, it is tied to the original computer and should not be installed on your new computer. If you purchased Windows 7 DVD separately you would have to remove it from your current PC. Microsoft only allows a limited number of activations of its OS and you nmay have to manually re-activated it over the telephone.

nordlead

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2011
If windows came with the PC (in other words the OEM version, which has a windows sticker with the key attached to the PC), then the license agreement says that Windows must stay with the PC it was bought with.

If it is the retail version of windows, then so long as you uninstall it from the PC before you sell it you are free to transfer the license to any other computer you want.

Powerman287

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2009
Hmm, well it does say it is an OEM Software. But it did not come with the pc. It was bought separately as if you buy 2 products from the same store (like pc and windows).

Powerman287

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2009
Oh and there is a sticker with the product key on the actual case where the CD and the manual is inside.

EDIT: The sticker is not on the PC case, just to clarify! :)

Powerman287

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2009
I have not the recieved my new pc yet, and it cant boot when i recieve it because there is nothing installed on it at that point which is why i would like to know if i can use my current windows disc for that one if i uninstall it from the current one i have :)

nordlead

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2011
You can buy OEM from some places (newegg for example). I buy OEM software because it is half the cost and I'm unlikely to wish I could move it twice (if I put windows on a second PC it costs the same as a retail copy, if I never "move" it it saves me $) If it is OEM, then it is tied to the first PC you put it on. Also, if you sell the PC, you must give the CD, Key, and all accompanying paperwork to whoever buys the PC.

While you might technically be able to transfer it (though you might have to call Microsoft and lie to them that you fixed your PC), legally you cannot. If you aren't worried about legality, then you might as well pirate a new copy and sell your old copy along with the PC at an increased price. However, I don't condone such behavior.

Just wipe the old machine and ring Microsoft up and tell them your installing due to a virus. Don't mention anything about the second machine, they will activate. Sneaky but it's a stupid licence, which should be tied to the user and not a machine. :D

Powerman287

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2009
Hmm, yea ok, anything you have experience with? I honestly dont mind doing it but i just cant imagine it to work but ofc, if you have tried it and made it work then i guess it does :p

Btw, would that mean if i formated the hard drive on my current pc, that i would not be able to install it on that pc either?

Technically the OEM version is tied to the first MOBO of the first system it is installed to according to the MS TOS -- that said in most cases MS is decent about reauthorizing the product for a different system as long as you are not going to use it on more than one system at a time -- If I were you I would wait until I got the new system - Install it using your OEM disk and see if it activates properly (chances are it will work fine if you have not reinstalled the same OEM disk several times already ( IIRC the authentication servers will allow 3-5 reinstalls before requiring you to use the telephone activation process ) Once it is installed and working then you have your answer ! (if for some reason it will not activate automatically -- use the phone activation and chances again are that it will work (you merely read off your product key to a voice recognition system and it responds with an activation code that you enter to activate your system) -- If it still does not activate call MS activation line and actually talk to a rep explain what you are doing (if you want to be honest) or tell them your old system died due to a defective MOBO and you had to purchase a new MOBO and would like to use your OEM version on it since the old system is no linger useable and chances are the phone rep will give you a working activation code ( It depends on the actual rep you are connected to so if the do not give you one then call back and you'll get a different rep !)

I've reused them in the past without problems on several machines and MS has always been willing to give me a new code (figure they would rather you continue to buy from them than resort to other means and 1 system activated on an old OEM copy is not going to make a difference to them in the long run !) Just be polite and talk to the REP and they will usually be willing to work with you to get it activated.

Powerman287

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2009
Alright, thank you very much, i am not really sure about which number i should call though, is it different from country to country or is it possible you have the number? :)

festerovic

Distinguished
I had almost the exact situation described ^ by jdfan.

One thing that I have read for a few years now regarding the TOS on OEM installs - If you are a system builder and install the OEM on a machine for someone, but the license is never activated by the customer (just you), then you can repurpose the license for a different machine according to TOS. So, "I built this for someone but it was never purchased so I put it on x machine" is actually a valid reason to tell the CS people in India, I mean MS. :) - but I do like the " I gots an interweb virus reall bad" excuse too.

Yeah I believe it varies from location to location and is usually given to you on the computer if the activation does not work

Or you can try This number that is listed on the GetHuman.com website :

Microsoft Activation Support phone number for customer service
[Microsoft Activation Support phone number - 888-571-2048] 888-571-2048
phone number
Get a human Stay silent at all prompts until asked if you want to speak to a customer service representative.
Hours 24 hours, 7 days
Average wait 2 mins

So just wait through all of the prompts and then say Yes when it asks if you'd like to speak to a REP.

But chances are you will not need to do that as in most cases it will either activate automatically or when you use the Computer operated Phone activation. I've only had to actually talk to someone once back when using win98 and that was because I had lost the product key code and only had the CD and they still provided me with a new code after talking to them !

TRENDING THREADS