Phenom ii x3 720 BE stock head sink

knightdog

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2009
This is my first time building a system and I just got a Phenom ii x3 720 BE from newegg. I plan to use the stock heat sink for a while at least and I am surprised to find out that there is no thermal compound come together with the CPU. Instead, there is something like a paste (with rough surface) attached to the bottom of the heatsink. And the instruction does not mention anything about applying the thermal compound neither. Should I just attach the 'paste' to the CPU or should I tear if off and apply some thermal compound like OCZ freezer? Thanks.

Solution
This "paste" is the thermal compound...is it like grayish in color? Just put it on you should be good to go :). When you replace it later, i suggest coffee filters and isopropyl alcohol 90% (i got these from walmart)

Just get the filter damp and wipe away cpu/cooler...don't submerge XD. If you can find higher concentration it's better, but i've hadn't had problems with 90%

XD_dued

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2008
This "paste" is the thermal compound...is it like grayish in color? Just put it on you should be good to go :). When you replace it later, i suggest coffee filters and isopropyl alcohol 90% (i got these from walmart)

Just get the filter damp and wipe away cpu/cooler...don't submerge XD. If you can find higher concentration it's better, but i've hadn't had problems with 90%

Solution