[HP] Pavilion P6214Y Cant install xp

aliasman

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2010
Hello, I need to install windows xp on this machine but keep getting a stop error (blue screen ) upon install. It happens just after booting from cd and it goes to "Starting Windows" Its a Stop: 0x0000007E
PCI.SYS
Icalled hp and they said it is possible to put on xp but they want me to pay..I think this is ridiculous since I'm accepting a downgrade just so all my peripherals work. Can anyone tell me what I need to do to get windows xp on it. Thanks

Solution
I don't think it's the SATA drivers, but just to give you some insight on SATA and XP.

Windows XP cannot recognize SATA without first installing the drivers. Most motherboard manufacturers have equipped their boards with emulators to trick XP (and earlier) OS into thinking that the SATA drive connected is a simple IDE.
However, to accomplish this, you must enable ACHI mode in your BIOS.

Are creating multiple partitions?

aliasman

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2010
I will be trying windows xp pro with sp3 soon..Ill let you know. I do know this machine has a 1tb hard drive... possible issue? as my other disks I believe are sp2. I looked high and low for a bios so i could flash it also with no luck in finding one. I noticed on the hp website they have bios and it says only compatible with vista so maybe the answer will be a bios flash to something that will allow xp to work? I'm determined to figure this out. I welcome all ideas on this and if anybody knows of a place to get bios files for this purpose please let me know. Thanks

aliasman

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2010

Do you think I would have to hit f6 to load sata drivers? I didn't know they supplied separate drivers for sata, I mean other than what is included with the installation disk.

I don't think it's the SATA drivers, but just to give you some insight on SATA and XP.

Windows XP cannot recognize SATA without first installing the drivers. Most motherboard manufacturers have equipped their boards with emulators to trick XP (and earlier) OS into thinking that the SATA drive connected is a simple IDE.
However, to accomplish this, you must enable ACHI mode in your BIOS.

Are creating multiple partitions?

Solution

aliasman

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2010

Nope just the one partition..I will check bios for ACHI.

aliasman

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2010

Major progress...I went into bios and changed from ACHI to IDE, rebooted and I'm now at the Windows Xp Professional Setup screen with no stop error and all partitions all shown etc but I'm a bit confused...wont formatting in IDE mode be defeating the faster sata?

aliasman

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2010

I should note: Upon getting to the setup screen I see that there were 3 partitions which I have now deleted to one partition.

aliasman

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2010

Everything works. Here was the fix... Hit f10 to enter bios, go to advanced, go to sata controller mode and change it from (ACHI) to (IDE) hit f10 to save and exit. By doing that I was able to get to the setup screen finally without the blue screen and stop error and install windows xp pro. It seems to like sp2 and sp3 as a sp1 disk still gave me a blue screen. So for some reason it dont like the (ACHI) enabled. Thanks T_T you got me looking in the right area :)