Sign in with
Your question

Core vs CPU temps big discrepancy

Last response: in Overclocking
December 1, 2011 5:07:55 PM

Hey all. I have an Intel Core i7 Extreme 980x CPU running stock at 3.33ghz (at least I think...). It was a system I originally bought from cyberpowerpc about a year ago. I recently changed cases to a Thermaltake level10GT, and bought a prolimatech mega with 2 120mm noctua fans. Part of the idea was to get better temps to be able to overclock my CPU a bit to get better performance out of my 2 580gtx in SLI. My motherboard is a P6X58D Premium.

I had a local repair company rebuild my PC in the new case (as I am afraid of doing it myself ;;). They setup the prolimatech in a push/pull config blowing out the back of the case.

Anyway CPU is reaching at max temp of 72c after about 1 hour of prime95 blend test (this is a lot lower than 10 minutes of prime95 in my old case with a coolermaster V8, but idle temps are no better). Max core temp (As seen below) is 59C during that period. Idle temps are ~30C for the cores, and 43C for the CPU. What is the cause of this discrepancy? 72c after an hour of prime95 with a (supposedly) great aftermarket heatsink and the push/pull fans seems very high. Games don't seem to stress the CPU temp past about 53-55C, and the cores remain cooler under all applications.

Is there a problem with the sensor on my motherboard? What sort of max temps would I look for under the blend test of prime 95 to recommend beginning the process of overclocking my PC?

Also, the HD temperature seems a bit higher than I remember idling around 41C, any thoughts on this as well?

Thanks in advance.

a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
December 1, 2011 5:41:36 PM

Something is seriously amiss with your case cooling. I would think that Thermaltake case would do better than that. CPU temps are good. Your HDD temp should be pretty close to SYSTIN temp shown in HWmonitor. Your GPU temps aren't necessarily Hot but look at the discrepancy between them, 36C!.. See if you can increase case fan settings. Try to get more airflow out of that top fan, especially. That's a full tower case and you are apparently collecting hot air in it, probably from the GPU's. I noticed the fan speed doesn't change on those, are they at idle, running a game, what?
m
l
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
December 1, 2011 5:49:27 PM

When you say push pull are you sure the the air flow is in from the front and out the back? People do make mistakes with fan directions. the Noctua's have arrows showing air direction. Check to see both point to the rear of the case and the the fans in the rear are blowing out of the case. My 920 idles at 39-40 and max's at 69-71 under stress temps in my average room conditions. The difference in the core and cpu temp readings has to do with the sensor locations.
m
l
Related resources
December 1, 2011 5:53:04 PM

DelroyMonjo said:
Something is seriously amiss with your case cooling. I would think that Thermaltake case would do better than that. CPU temps are good. Your HDD temp should be pretty close to SYSTIN temp shown in HWmonitor. Your GPU temps aren't necessarily Hot but look at the discrepancy between them, 36C!.. See if you can increase case fan settings. Try to get more airflow out of that top fan, especially. That's a full tower case and you are apparently collecting hot air in it, probably from the GPU's. I noticed the fan speed doesn't change on those, are they at idle, running a game, what?

Well the discrepancy between my GPUs is only 20c, which I know is kinda high. I actually got a new case so that I could separate the 2 cards (they were on top of each other and my old case only had 7 PCI slots so I couldn't put them in slots 1/3). I have 2 monitors plugged into card 2 which explains the high idle temp. Interestingly, card 2 got quite a bit hotter as a result of separating them because card 1 now had room to actually cool/blow air out of the fan(at least that's my thought). They are much cooler in SLI than before though where they would reach 100C, now they max out at about 88c or so.

Are you saying that my system temperature is high though? And you're saying that you'd go by the core temps instead of the CPU reading? I was just playing starcraft 2 and the CPU got up near 60c, but the cores were maxed at 42 or something... so the discrepancy was just mammoth there.

@dogsnake, I will check on the configuration of the fans, but I believe they are correct.
m
l
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
December 1, 2011 6:37:08 PM

I'm missing something here. Your Core temp pic shows 100% CPU usage which I thought was in Prime 95. What discrepancy are you talking about? Are you seeing core temps during gaming or after stopping the game and checking whatever software you are using to check temps. Temps drop dramatically within seconds of going from working to idle. 60C is an excwllent CPU temp if running Prime 95 for 1 hr. Air doesn't blow OUT of the fan(s) on GPU's, it draws air and blows it across the heatsink which is internal in the cards.
And yeah, I think 109F is a pretty warm case temp if you have a reasonable room temp.
m
l
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
December 1, 2011 6:38:27 PM

I'm missing something here. Your Core temp pic shows 100% CPU usage which I thought was in Prime 95. What discrepancy are you talking about? Are you seeing core temps during gaming or after stopping the game and checking whatever software you are using to check temps. Temps drop dramatically within seconds of going from working to idle. 60C is an excwllent CPU temp if running Prime 95 for 1 hr. Air doesn't blow OUT of the fan(s) on GPU's, it draws air and blows it across the heatsink which is internal in the cards.
And yeah, I think 109F is a pretty warm case temp if you have a reasonable room temp.
m
l
December 1, 2011 6:53:17 PM

DelroyMonjo said:

Shows what I know about GPUs. In that event I'm not sure why GPU2 is hotter than it was before when the 2 cards were right on top of each other.

The discrepancy I'm talking about is between the temperatures of the CORES vs the total CPU temp. As you can see the CPU is maxing at about 72c at 100% CPU load prime 95, while the hottest CORE is maxing at 59C. It was my understanding that the CPU should be very close to the CORE temps, not 13c+ apart.

When I was checking the temps it was in game (I was looking at my 2nd monitor while playing), I know they drop very fast right after quitting an application.

m
l
!