G

is it possible to stretch a virtual network session (screen) over two monitors or must the network be logged on to twice?

rekabis

Distinguished
Apr 26, 2008
is it possible to stretch a virtual network session (screen) over two monitors or must the network be logged on to twice?

I have done this myself under Windows XP, although the result is not ideal. Under a local dual-monitor setup, if you want an RDP session to go across both screens you must stretch it manually across the screens - maximizing the RDP client will make it maximize to only one screen or the other. And any app you open on the far end will treat the RDP window as a single screen; you won’t be able to maximize each remote app to each physical (local) screen because the RDP session is not passing on the fact that it is working across two monitors - it represents a single session “window” for the apps to run in.

Under RDP (Windows), any additional connection will log off all other current connections, unless you are using a Server version on the far end, or you are using a specially hacked RDP server for XP Pro (3 concurrent connections max). Additionally, each RDP connection is done in the context of its own actively running user profile, so even if you do make two connections to the same machine you won’t be able to drag an app from one RDP window to the other - they will be completely isolated in two completely separate RDP conections. If you log in using the same credentials for each RDP connection, you will see the same desktop across both windows (start menu and all), just completely isolated from each other. In order to move data from one window to another, you will have to save it to the drive and open it up on the other window.

I am not familiar with other operating systems and virtual session programs and how they respond to a dual-monitor setup.

I hope this helps.