Quad-core 955 (3.2Ghz) Backwards compatible?

staalkoppie

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2009
The product discripsion reads;
"Amd socket AM3 ( AM2/AM2 backward compatiable ) Phenom2 x4 , Quad-core 955 ( 3.2Ghz ) Black edition..."
does this mean that I can put this chip on my old AM2 motherboard, and will the chip underclock itself, or what will happen negitively, as this sounds to good to be true?!

jj463rd

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2008
It's backwards compatible for AM2+ motherboards that have updated support (new CPU BIOS update).One merely has to go to the manufacturers motherboard support website and check.I have an older AM2+ ASUS motherboard that could take this CPU upgrade but I haven't done it as yet (did update the BIOS though in preparation for it).

N19h7M4r3

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2008
many AM2+ boards have bios update for which can identify a series of new CPU's but i dont know of any AM2 that has updates for it... but with luck there should be some around, any way if you cant find an update for the bios you can have some problems especially with cool and quiet... in my case if i had it turned on before my CPU would only work at 800Mhz...
with luck you shouldnt have any problems... but if you can try it out before you do anything you cant take back =)

Devastator_uk

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2009
I tried my 955 out on a really old AM2 and it did work but didn't get the full performance, but now I have an AM2+ and it's perfect.

I would advise using a AM2+ or AM3, but in most cases it'll still boot fine with a AM2, but might need a BIOS update, which may not exist on older AM2 boards.

Most AM2+ boards were build with Phenom2 CPUs in mind, even the earlier ones so they are generally fine.