Multiple Monitors with Asus P5Q Pro Turbo???

dzruna

Distinguished
Sep 13, 2009
Will the Asus P5Q Pro Turbo allow 2 nvidia pcie cards in non-SLI? I have a 280GTX and an 8800GT. The 8800GT is not detected by Win 7. I have a 30" LCD, two 20" LCDs and a 1080P Epson projector that need to be hooked up. I'm using the PC to do some gaming (30" and projector sometimes), watch movies (projector) and programming work (3 LCDs). Should my current mobo work with these two cards or should I be looking at alternate mobos or video cards? Thanks!

dzruna

Distinguished
Sep 13, 2009

Thanks evongugg. I have a good Corsair 650Watt PSU that should be plenty. From what I have read, this motherboard will not support two nVidia cards. ATI cards would probably be a different story.

Have you personally had two nVidia cards work with this mobo?

mikeybthepilot

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2009
I have been trying to get two nvidia cards working on this board so that I can have three monitors but no joy so far. I'm using a 9800 GT as my primary and can run two screens fine but as soon as I boot with an 8800 GTS in the second slot the computer crashes when it gets to windows. I'm running a fresh install of Windows 7 (installed it yesterday) and I've installed the latest drivers. It's almost as if the two cards just aren't playing nice or something.

mikeybthepilot

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2009

I've got it up and running and I have two nVidia cards working on this mobo with no modifications. I'm not using SLI mind you but I am using the two cards to run three monitors at the same time which allows me to extend my desktop across the three screens. I've put a 9800GT in the primary PCIe slot and have my primary (number 1) screen on it. I also have an 8800GTS in the second PCIe slot running the other two screens. For gaming I've set up the 8800 to run as the PhysX card while my primary card is the screen in use.

To fix my initial problems with getting the card working all I had to do was remove the battery for the CMOS, I think I had filled it with stuff by playing with the screens too much. As it turned out one of my monitors had a bad connection inside the display but once we realized that and pushed the cable in a bit farther it worked with no further problems.

So it is possible and it does work fine. I can't speak to SLI working or not.