9600 Issues

shadexvii

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2009
So i'm having issues with the XFX nVidia 9600 GT.....

In the beginning of playing any game the card of course runs amazing, I've never had issues with it before, until recently. Now I can't get more than 20 minutes of gameplay until the graphics rip and the computer freezes. It loops about the last 10 seconds of audio and I can not do anything other than hard reset. (Trying to bring up task manager or alt+tabbing does nothing either.)

I've tried messing with fan settings and everything for the games at this point... Still the same issue. 1-20mins and the pc freezes help me out!!

Shade

Specs:

PSU is a 500 watt ASUS
AMD Athalon Dual Core 4200 2.2GHz
2 gigs of ram
9600 gt

I should also mention browsing the web or playing simple games like peggle etc seem to not cause the pc to lock up.

Solution
to much dust... could be overheating
heat could cause electricity to leak across transistors giving errors
damage could become permanent, or if you clean out the card well enough, the issues could go away w/ lower temps

shadexvii

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2009
the drivers are up to date... This is also an issue that has just began in the last few days...
it happens in every game i try now.

im afraid it's the ram on the card... :fou:

jedimasterben

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2007
Download ATItool and run the artifact scanner, and it will show this fuzzy thing that looks like shag carpet and will pretty much run the GPU at 100%. If you see any yellow dots, or it makes the Windows beepy noise, that means that it's finding errors, and something is wrong with the card.

demonnn

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2009
the exact same thing happened to me and many other 9600 gt users!!

your card is overheating!!

check your card temps .
my 9600 gt used to crash at 67c
9600 gt can not take heat like other cards can.

what i did is removed the dust inside the card and it dropped 18c .

before that i could not play any game at all unless it wsa on extreme low + low res.

i don't have the card anymore because i hated it .

shadexvii

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2009

Yeah a few beeps here and there... So i can safely say it is the card...

In windows it is completely stable but as soon as i load a game.... Crash.....

Why is it just happening now and I didn't have issues a few weeks ago?

arges86

Distinguished
to much dust... could be overheating
heat could cause electricity to leak across transistors giving errors
damage could become permanent, or if you clean out the card well enough, the issues could go away w/ lower temps

Solution

shadexvii

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2009
Card is crashing at 67 C.... I cleaned it out pretty well and still having issues... Good to say it is the card over something else.

Going to get my old 8600 back. It worked fine. :D

arges86

Distinguished
sounds like a bad card
so sorry
as long as u have the 8600 u should be fine...
if u want a new card wait until October (in theory) for the GT300 series to come out. Either get a DirectX 11 card, or at the very least, the current generation cards should drop in price to make way for the new ones