Custom Content installation problem

glas

Distinguished
Aug 28, 2005

I've downloaded a lot of wallpapers and floors for my game and install them
as soon as I download. How come my folder of installed wallpapers has over
1,000 zips but my downloads folder only has bout 150 walls in it?

I've searched everywhere on my hard drive for the .package files but they
are nowhere to be found. I've also tried reinstalling the files and the
Package Installer pops up and tells me they are installing and then I go
look in my download folder and the files are not there.

Anyone have any ideas?

Thanx in advance, chrissy

Um, why have you put the zips in your Downloads folder? You need to get the
stuff out of your zips - the game doesn't read zip files.

I don't know why the package installer is not putting the files in your
Downloads folder. Are you sure you are looking in the right place?
However, bear in mind, when you first unpack a wall or floor files with the
installer programme, the file first goes into the Teleport folder so you
won't see it in Downloads straight away. Once you start the game up, or
Homecrafter or Bodyshop, the file gets put into the game by being
transferred across to the Downloads folder then. I think this is to allow
some basic file-checking against files already in the game. Using the
self-installer means your files get given a stupid name made up of letters
and numbers, so it can be very hard to work out what they are.

The right place for your Downloads folder is:

My Documents\EA Games\The Sims 2\Downloads

The only files you should have in there are package files. Everything else
needs to come out as it'll slow your game down. Put them in another
folder - if you are unsure about using explorer, put the folder on your
desktop.

Best wishes
maxon

"glas" <glasgurl@earthlink.net> wrote in message
> I've downloaded a lot of wallpapers and floors for my game and install
them
> as soon as I download. How come my folder of installed wallpapers has over
> 1,000 zips but my downloads folder only has bout 150 walls in it?
>
> I've searched everywhere on my hard drive for the .package files but they
> are nowhere to be found. I've also tried reinstalling the files and the
> Package Installer pops up and tells me they are installing and then I go
> look in my download folder and the files are not there.
>
> Anyone have any ideas?
>
> Thanx in advance, chrissy

glas

Distinguished
Aug 28, 2005

> Um, why have you put the zips in your Downloads folder? You need to get
> the
> stuff out of your zips - the game doesn't read zip files.

Sorry, guess I wasn't clear about that. I don't have the zips in my
Downloads folder. I have them in a folder on my desktop that I download to.
I download any new walls to a folder labeled Walls and then inside that I
have a folder called Installed. After unzipping and installing the files I
move the zips to the Installed folder until I have time to burn them to a
disk since I like to keep the original files.

The only thing in my downloads folder is .package files.

> I don't know why the package installer is not putting the files in your
> Downloads folder. Are you sure you are looking in the right place?
> However, bear in mind, when you first unpack a wall or floor files with
> the
> installer programme, the file first goes into the Teleport folder so you
> won't see it in Downloads straight away. Once you start the game up, or
> Homecrafter or Bodyshop, the file gets put into the game by being
> transferred across to the Downloads folder then. I think this is to allow
> some basic file-checking against files already in the game. Using the
> self-installer means your files get given a stupid name made up of letters
> and numbers, so it can be very hard to work out what they are.

Thanks, this is a lot of help. I didn't know about the Teleport folder. I
did notice that there are a lot of files in my Downloads folder that are
just a bunch of weird numbers (about 1,000 of them in fact) so maybe these
are my wall files that I can't locate.

> > Um, why have you put the zips in your Downloads folder? You need to get
> > the
> > stuff out of your zips - the game doesn't read zip files.
>
> Sorry, guess I wasn't clear about that. I don't have the zips in my
> Downloads folder. I have them in a folder on my desktop that I download
to.
> I download any new walls to a folder labeled Walls and then inside that I
> have a folder called Installed. After unzipping and installing the files I
> move the zips to the Installed folder until I have time to burn them to a
> disk since I like to keep the original files.
>
> The only thing in my downloads folder is .package files.

OK fine, yes that makes more sense. Sometimes I get mixed up talking about
folders, files and sub-folders.

<snip>
> Thanks, this is a lot of help. I didn't know about the Teleport folder. I
> did notice that there are a lot of files in my Downloads folder that are
> just a bunch of weird numbers (about 1,000 of them in fact) so maybe these
> are my wall files that I can't locate.

Do you have Clean Installer? - you can use it to browse your Downloads
folder and check what every file is. Also, and this might help with names,
if you edit and save your walls and floors in Homecrafter (you don't
actually have to change anything, just open them up with edit and then save
them again), the game will rename the files with a floor_ or wall_ prefix.
It'll put them back into your Downloads folder again (rather than any
sub-folder for walls and floors) but it does mean that you can find them
more easily in the folder and know exactly what they are. It's a bit of a
faff but might be worth doing. You can also rename any file except for
objects which MUST have the same name on the outside as they have on the
inside (so to speak - that is the internal filename must match the actual
filename) but you'll find when the installer programme puts these in the
game that they retain their name anyway. Incidentally, the Teleport folder
should normally be empty unless you've just installed something and not yet
run the game.

Best wishes
maxon