Sign in with
Your question

Mac or PC

Last response: in Systems
September 13, 2009 4:16:27 PM

When i made my computer i installed windows vista os would it have been possible for me to install a mac os (essentially making it a mac) or would i have need to add/ remove/change certain parts.

More about : mac

a b B Homebuilt system
September 13, 2009 4:42:54 PM

It's possible but difficult I've heard, and illegal to install OS X on non apple hardware.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
September 13, 2009 5:31:16 PM

^Correct. You can run OSX on a PC with a hacked OSX installation. But it is ILLEGAL. Google "hackintosh" for more info.

At any rate why run OSX? OSX is for cr@p. You might as well run Fedora/Suse/Ubuntu instead of OSX. OSX is based off of the BSD code base which Apple STOLE.

Windows for gaming, Linux if you want free every day OS (ie office apps, web browsing,etc).
m
l
Related resources
September 14, 2009 7:00:49 AM

Mac :pfff: 

You can buy a Mac for $2500 or the same PC for $1200, your choice. Apple software is also outrageous and hard to find locally.

You would have to look into hackintosh like the others have stated. W7 is a huge improvement, no need to go Mac.
m
l
September 14, 2009 2:39:42 PM

Shadow703793 said:
^Correct. You can run OSX on a PC with a hacked OSX installation. But it is ILLEGAL. Google "hackintosh" for more info.

At any rate why run OSX? OSX is for cr@p. You might as well run Fedora/Suse/Ubuntu instead of OSX. OSX is based off of the BSD code base which Apple STOLE.

Windows for gaming, Linux if you want free every day OS (ie office apps, web browsing,etc).

+1 no need for OSX, linux + windows is fine (especially with win7)
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
September 14, 2009 4:41:54 PM

You came here to ask that? The majority of people here are probably anti-apple.

You can run it with OSx86 though. It's only illegal according to the EULA, and those in general have a questionable legal status. And even so I doubt the plenty of people running it really care.

You'd have to read their site though, cause I just know that its there, and have never actually done it.
m
l
September 14, 2009 8:26:52 PM

Shadow703793 said:

Apple used BSD Unix released under the BSD License. AFAIK, as long as Apple cites the origin and copyright of the code properly, they are allowed to use and modify the source code and release it under their own license. Microsoft did the exact same thing, copying the entire BSD Socketed Network layer (though they failed to cite the original source) and they were only discovered when someone pointed out that the Unix programmers' original comments were still in the code, vulgarities included. So, what I am trying to say, isn't stealing BSD Unix (unlike Microsoft) as long as they cite the origination and follow the rules of the BSD License.
m
l
September 14, 2009 8:36:47 PM

Apple computers are way overpriced: you'll end up paying more for the logo/the brand, than for the hardware, like those Nike sneakers that are made for $10 in some third world country and then people in the west pay $200 for them, just because there's a Nike logo on them.

If you're not 100% satisfied with Windows then use Ubuntu on a PC (and keep a windows partition for gaming, that's how I roll.)
m
l
September 14, 2009 10:14:33 PM

Yes, you do pay a surtax for Apple hardware, but truth be told, for the same hardware from any other major system integrator, Apple is at most 5-7% more expensive than other integrators, and in some cases, cheaper. If you want to compare Apple to your local frankenbox, then of course Apple will be more expensive. But it depends on (a) your level of competence (b) your needs and (c) your willingness to provide support.

If I were setting up a computer for a family member who was not computer literate, did not live close and expected me to provide continual free support over the phone, email, etc., then that family member is going to be buying an Apple. There are just too many things that can go wrong with a Windows box, and I got tired of "fixing" Windows machines for friends and family that were riddled with malware of all varieties from both lax and ignorant browsing practices.

FWIW, I run a Mac Pro at home with 2 quad core 2.93 Ghz and 32 Gb of RAM. This is my workstation that I use to do UI development, as well as graphic, web and video design. On this machine, I run several guest environments (as my clients want to have a broad range of test environments for their UI design) to include the Windows family (2000, XP Pro, Home and Media Center Edition, all the Vista variants, Windows 7, Server 2K3 and 2K8) as well as a few mainline Linux distros (Ubuntu, CentOS/Fedora, SUSE) and several sandbox FreeBSD development snapshots. Right next to this is my gaming bos, which seems to be in a constant state of flux as I am constantly tweaking on thing or another. The current build has a i7 920 (D0) running at 4.2 Ghz stable (48 hour straight burn in) on water cooling. This includes 2 crossfired 4870 cards. Now, ask me which one paid for itself and the other one as well?
m
l
September 15, 2009 9:58:49 PM

Houndsteeth said:
Yes, you do pay a surtax for Apple hardware, but truth be told, for the same hardware from any other major system integrator, Apple is at most 5-7% more expensive than other integrators, and in some cases, cheaper. If you want to compare Apple to your local frankenbox, then of course Apple will be more expensive. But it depends on (a) your level of competence (b) your needs and (c) your willingness to provide support.

5-7%? Not where I live and not in the US either: a PC with the exact same hardware will cost at least 40% less, 60% if you build it yourself (which Apple doesn't want you to, just like they don't want you to play music on anything other than an iPod.)
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
September 15, 2009 10:26:15 PM

^True that.

Quote:

Apple used BSD Unix released under the BSD License. AFAIK, as long as Apple cites the origin and copyright of the code properly, they are allowed to use and modify the source code and release it under their own license. Microsoft did the exact same thing, copying the entire BSD Socketed Network layer (though they failed to cite the original source) and they were only discovered when someone pointed out that the Unix programmers' original comments were still in the code, vulgarities included. So, what I am trying to say, isn't stealing BSD Unix (unlike Microsoft) as long as they cite the origination and follow the rules of the BSD License.

Still, Apple/Microsoft doesn't let people know that BSD is under the hood. And yes, Microsoft did the same thing. At the end of the day, I hate both Apple and Microsoft. The only reason I "need" Microsoft is because they have control over my games and CS4,SolidWorks,etc. that I need.
m
l
!