Power Supply Input Current Limited

alex_oneill2006

Distinguished
May 23, 2008
Hello, :hello:

I am going to univeristy in October, and i want to take my computer.

My Accomodation has a 5A Limit on the plugs in the wall.

My powersupply is Corsair 650W. It says that it needs 10A input.

Can i still use my computer despite that it is limited to 5A. Or should i jsut take my laptop?

Is the 10A draw only at max power?

Other compenets are
e8400 @ 4Ghz
9800gx2 OC'd
2sticks ddr3
2 Sata hardrives

I play games on this computer at home. So i would assume that it would be running lcose to full power. Or not!?

What does everyone think?

Should i take my computer or laptop?

Solution
OP, please confirm that you are in the UK, and that the power from that 5 amp circuit is 230 volts.

If that is the case, 650W / (0.80 eff * 120V) = 3.52 amps, so you will be fine, as long as nothing else is on that circuit. Will you be sharing the circuit with other rooms?
if you used the PSU to its potential, it would be 650W / (0.80 eff * 120V) = 6.77A

now your computer will pull more like 450w max (probably not even this) so 450w / (0.82 eff * 120V) = 4.57A

you should be fine...hopefully, i guess the only way to know is when you get there

Prescott_666

Distinguished
May 13, 2009
OP, please confirm that you are in the UK, and that the power from that 5 amp circuit is 230 volts.

If that is the case, 650W / (0.80 eff * 120V) = 3.52 amps, so you will be fine, as long as nothing else is on that circuit. Will you be sharing the circuit with other rooms?

Solution

alex_oneill2006

Distinguished
May 23, 2008
Hey, thanks for the replies!

Yes i am in the UK. So 230V AC.

My circuit will not be shared with other rooms. But i will have to run all my other things from the same circuit: lamp, monitor, guitar amp, hifi, radio etc. erc. the usual student needs.

The other option i have is to take my laptop, and my 24" so that i can run dual screen, and have enough space to work with! also proper mouse and keyboard.

Thanks

alex_oneill2006

Distinguished
May 23, 2008
Yea i know its crazy isnt it! In my second year i will be living in a house and not on campus. So i will be paying for my own electricity and therefore no limit. Its sucks but i guess i will have to live with it. No more gaming for a year. have to use laptops *kills hmself*

Well surely you aren't going to playing the quitar with the amp (I bet many of the other students wish you would have left that at home anyway) and gaming on the computer all at the same time, are you? That 5A should handle a midrange gaming PC, a light, and a radio just fine. Just because you cannot do everything at the same time does not sound like too much of a problem to me, learn to work around it.

alex_oneill2006

Distinguished
May 23, 2008
nah man, i play funk / jimi hendrix / red hot chili peppers! Everybody loves that! I would understand if i played super death metal. I bet alot of people will kill me if i did.

Hm i dunno, maybe ill just buy a 24" monitor and hook it up to my laptop. Maybe it will be good as it is one less distraction, gaming, as i am doing mechanical engineering, bit the esieast in the world. never mind. Thanks for all your replies. Much appreciated