after 7 days of searching in different forums and studying text and datasheets I am in the process of finalizing my system. But I need the help of some hardware gurus to be sure with hardware compability.
What I want:
- Ubuntu Server OS (bittorrent, dlna/upnp, apache2, mysql)
- media accessability (maybe transcoding as well for PS3)
- Hardware Raid (for my big photography archive)
- Gigabit LAN
- SATA II (4-6 ports) + 1 IDE Port
- housing for 4-6 3.5" HDs
- and all this together should be silent as it will be in my home office or even beside the TV (so nice and small case - cubic?)
- power consumption should be minimal when idle
Now the biggest question: Which motherboard? As I am really want to have a fully compatible board for Ubuntu. Target processor is a Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 (or Core 2 Quad) - optionally also Pentium 4 (as I want to upgrade the processor later, if possible). Optionally also graphics on-board.
Rest of my thoughts:
- Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 or Core 2 Quad Q8300