Video card help

I know this has been asked to death in here, but I've lost all my saved
posts, so here it comes again.

I want to purchase a new video card. I will be spending up to $150 on
it. I have a Dell Dimension 8200, P4, 2.00 GHz processor, 768 MB
RDRAM,. I currently have a Nvidia GeForce4 MX 420 video card. Any
suggestions?

Also, I want to buy a second HD. I have a 40GB drive in here now that
is about half full. I want to add a larger drive and since I don't know
how to do one from scratch, I will likely be adding one as a slave to
this one. How can I move My Documents to what will be drive F and still
have the thing function correctly? Also, if I buy an external HD run
off a USB 2.0 port, would that work to run the game from? Or would
running it off a USB port slow it down?

Inquiring minds and all that! Thanks so much in advance to anyone who
answers.

Jeanie
17 answers Last reply
More about video card help

    On Sun, 28 Aug 2005 16:17:26 GMT, Jeanie <taureanmoon@yahoo.com>
    wrote:

    >I want to purchase a new video card. I will be spending up to $150 on
    >it. I have a Dell Dimension 8200, P4, 2.00 GHz processor, 768 MB
    >RDRAM,. I currently have a Nvidia GeForce4 MX 420 video card. Any
    >suggestions?
    >
    >Also, I want to buy a second HD. I have a 40GB drive in here now that
    >is about half full. I want to add a larger drive and since I don't know
    >how to do one from scratch, I will likely be adding one as a slave to
    >this one. How can I move My Documents to what will be drive F and still
    >have the thing function correctly? Also, if I buy an external HD run
    >off a USB 2.0 port, would that work to run the game from? Or would
    >running it off a USB port slow it down?
    >
    >Inquiring minds and all that! Thanks so much in advance to anyone who
    >answers.

    A Radeon 9800 PRO should set you back about roughly exactly 150$. And
    it will be well paired to your processor, since there's no point in
    buying the latest videocard for a 2Ghz.

    About harddrive, more than likely, your current drive is set to cable
    select... but if Dell have screwed with it, be prepared to alter some
    options. There should be a clear indication on the drive itself which
    pin setting is what, and there ought to be indication on the cable as
    well, which does what. Check your case to see if both IDE slots are
    taken up by the same cable. Look for a free one.

    How to move your documents... well, I don't know about that one, never
    done it. Or as we hardware geeks like to say... that's a software
    problem! But I know others in this group have done it.

    First, you have to check if you HAVE a USB2 port. If so, it *should*
    be in the front of your computer case. Check "devices" to see what
    kind of USB ports you have.

    I'm considering a USB drive myself... it has a bandwidth of 480
    megabits, which should be more than sufficient, provided you have a
    USB2 drive and a USB2 port. But I'd look up some tests first if I were
    you.
    --

    I'm going to corner Miami attorney Jack Thompson in a dark alley and beat him to death with my pink lawn flamingo

    > On Sun, 28 Aug 2005 16:17:26 GMT, Jeanie <taureanmoon@yahoo.com>
    > wrote:
    >
    >>I want to purchase a new video card. I will be spending up to $150 on
    >>it. I have a Dell Dimension 8200, P4, 2.00 GHz processor, 768 MB
    >>RDRAM,. I currently have a Nvidia GeForce4 MX 420 video card. Any
    >>suggestions?
    >>
    >>Also, I want to buy a second HD. I have a 40GB drive in here now that
    >>is about half full. I want to add a larger drive and since I don't know
    >>how to do one from scratch, I will likely be adding one as a slave to
    >>this one. How can I move My Documents to what will be drive F and still
    >>have the thing function correctly? Also, if I buy an external HD run
    >>off a USB 2.0 port, would that work to run the game from? Or would
    >>running it off a USB port slow it down?
    >>
    >>Inquiring minds and all that! Thanks so much in advance to anyone who
    >>answers.
    >
    > A Radeon 9800 PRO should set you back about roughly exactly 150$. And
    > it will be well paired to your processor, since there's no point in
    > buying the latest videocard for a 2Ghz.
    >
    > About harddrive, more than likely, your current drive is set to cable
    > select... but if Dell have screwed with it, be prepared to alter some
    > options. There should be a clear indication on the drive itself which
    > pin setting is what, and there ought to be indication on the cable as
    > well, which does what. Check your case to see if both IDE slots are
    > taken up by the same cable. Look for a free one.
    >
    > How to move your documents... well, I don't know about that one, never
    > done it. Or as we hardware geeks like to say... that's a software
    > problem! But I know others in this group have done it.
    >
    > First, you have to check if you HAVE a USB2 port. If so, it *should*
    > be in the front of your computer case. Check "devices" to see what
    > kind of USB ports you have.
    >
    > I'm considering a USB drive myself... it has a bandwidth of 480
    > megabits, which should be more than sufficient, provided you have a
    > USB2 drive and a USB2 port. But I'd look up some tests first if I were
    > you.

    Seagate has some useful pages on their support site about installing their
    hard drives. Or you can try other supplier's faqs.
    eg

    http://www.seagate.com/support/kb/disc/index_faq.html

    and Microsoft has some.......

    :How to Install New Hardware in Windows
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;142984> --
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;282530

    Check particularly on the bootup setup options for your computer. My
    computer refused to boot at all because it couldn't find any drive.

    Skeats

    Guardian Pegasus wrote:
    > On Sun, 28 Aug 2005 16:17:26 GMT, Jeanie <taureanmoon@yahoo.com>
    > wrote:
    >

    >>I want to purchase a new video card. I will be spending up to $150 on
    >>it. I have a Dell Dimension 8200, P4, 2.00 GHz processor, 768 MB
    >>RDRAM,. I currently have a Nvidia GeForce4 MX 420 video card. Any
    >>suggestions?
    >>
    >>Also, I want to buy a second HD. I have a 40GB drive in here now that
    >>is about half full. I want to add a larger drive and since I don't know
    >>how to do one from scratch, I will likely be adding one as a slave to
    >>this one. How can I move My Documents to what will be drive F and still
    >>have the thing function correctly? Also, if I buy an external HD run
    >>off a USB 2.0 port, would that work to run the game from? Or would
    >>running it off a USB port slow it down?
    >>
    >>Inquiring minds and all that! Thanks so much in advance to anyone who
    >>answers.
    >

    > A Radeon 9800 PRO should set you back about roughly exactly 150$. And
    > it will be well paired to your processor, since there's no point in
    > buying the latest videocard for a 2Ghz.

    Ok, I'm writing that down now. Also, isn't it a good idea to buy a card
    with its own fan on it to keep it cool? And does the amount of video
    RAM make a huge difference?

    > About harddrive, more than likely, your current drive is set to cable
    > select... but if Dell have screwed with it, be prepared to alter some
    > options. There should be a clear indication on the drive itself which
    > pin setting is what, and there ought to be indication on the cable as
    > well, which does what. Check your case to see if both IDE slots are
    > taken up by the same cable. Look for a free one.

    IIRC, I have one cable that should service two drives, but there is only
    one in there now.

    > How to move your documents... well, I don't know about that one, never
    > done it. Or as we hardware geeks like to say... that's a software
    > problem! But I know others in this group have done it.
    >
    > First, you have to check if you HAVE a USB2 port. If so, it *should*
    > be in the front of your computer case. Check "devices" to see what
    > kind of USB ports you have.
    >
    > I'm considering a USB drive myself... it has a bandwidth of 480
    > megabits, which should be more than sufficient, provided you have a
    > USB2 drive and a USB2 port. But I'd look up some tests first if I were
    > you.

    I have 6 USB 2.0 ports, four on the back and two on the front. I've got
    a cable for my digital camera in one of the front ports, my scanner and
    the camera printer and my mouse in three of the ones on the back. So,
    I'm thinking about getting a hub extension anyway, but I've still got
    two free ports. An external HD would be my first choice, I think.
    Easier to grab in the event of a sudden fire, easier to install, that
    sort of thing.

    Jeanie

    Fizziwig2 wrote:
    > "Guardian Pegasus" <nobody@nowhere.xxx> wrote in message
    >
    >>On Sun, 28 Aug 2005 16:17:26 GMT, Jeanie <taureanmoon@yahoo.com>
    >>wrote:
    >>

    >>>I want to purchase a new video card. I will be spending up to $150 on
    >>>it. I have a Dell Dimension 8200, P4, 2.00 GHz processor, 768 MB
    >>>RDRAM,. I currently have a Nvidia GeForce4 MX 420 video card. Any
    >>>suggestions?
    >>>
    >>>Also, I want to buy a second HD. I have a 40GB drive in here now that
    >>>is about half full. I want to add a larger drive and since I don't know
    >>>how to do one from scratch, I will likely be adding one as a slave to
    >>>this one. How can I move My Documents to what will be drive F and still
    >>>have the thing function correctly? Also, if I buy an external HD run
    >>>off a USB 2.0 port, would that work to run the game from? Or would
    >>>running it off a USB port slow it down?
    >>>
    >>>Inquiring minds and all that! Thanks so much in advance to anyone who
    >>>answers.
    >>
    >>A Radeon 9800 PRO should set you back about roughly exactly 150$. And
    >>it will be well paired to your processor, since there's no point in
    >>buying the latest videocard for a 2Ghz.
    >>
    >>About harddrive, more than likely, your current drive is set to cable
    >>select... but if Dell have screwed with it, be prepared to alter some
    >>options. There should be a clear indication on the drive itself which
    >>pin setting is what, and there ought to be indication on the cable as
    >>well, which does what. Check your case to see if both IDE slots are
    >>taken up by the same cable. Look for a free one.
    >>
    >>How to move your documents... well, I don't know about that one, never
    >>done it. Or as we hardware geeks like to say... that's a software
    >>problem! But I know others in this group have done it.
    >>
    >>First, you have to check if you HAVE a USB2 port. If so, it *should*
    >>be in the front of your computer case. Check "devices" to see what
    >>kind of USB ports you have.
    >>
    >>I'm considering a USB drive myself... it has a bandwidth of 480
    >>megabits, which should be more than sufficient, provided you have a
    >>USB2 drive and a USB2 port. But I'd look up some tests first if I were
    >>you.
    >

    > Seagate has some useful pages on their support site about installing their
    > hard drives. Or you can try other supplier's faqs.
    > eg
    >
    > http://www.seagate.com/support/kb/disc/index_faq.html
    >
    > and Microsoft has some.......
    >
    > :How to Install New Hardware in Windows
    > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;142984> --
    > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;282530
    >
    > Check particularly on the bootup setup options for your computer. My
    > computer refused to boot at all because it couldn't find any drive.
    >
    > Skeats

    Thanks for the tip

    Jeanie

    On Sun, 28 Aug 2005 18:19:46 GMT, Jeanie <taureanmoon@yahoo.com>
    wrote:

    >Ok, I'm writing that down now. Also, isn't it a good idea to buy a card
    >with its own fan on it to keep it cool? And does the amount of video
    >RAM make a huge difference?

    Yes, all modern videocards need their own fans, and even then, if the
    fan is not good, they can suffer from overheating. Ammount of video
    memory currently makes very little difference. Speed of video memory
    however can be quite important.

    >I have 6 USB 2.0 ports, four on the back and two on the front. I've got
    >a cable for my digital camera in one of the front ports, my scanner and
    >the camera printer and my mouse in three of the ones on the back. So,
    >I'm thinking about getting a hub extension anyway, but I've still got
    >two free ports. An external HD would be my first choice, I think.
    >Easier to grab in the event of a sudden fire, easier to install, that
    >sort of thing.

    And y'know, you can unplug some of them, or swap them out hehe
    --

    > On Sun, 28 Aug 2005 18:19:46 GMT, Jeanie <taureanmoon@yahoo.com>
    > wrote:
    >
    >>Ok, I'm writing that down now. Also, isn't it a good idea to buy a card
    >>with its own fan on it to keep it cool? And does the amount of video
    >>RAM make a huge difference?
    >
    > Yes, all modern videocards need their own fans, and even then, if the
    > fan is not good, they can suffer from overheating. Ammount of video
    > memory currently makes very little difference. Speed of video memory
    > however can be quite important.
    >
    >>I have 6 USB 2.0 ports, four on the back and two on the front. I've got
    >>a cable for my digital camera in one of the front ports, my scanner and
    >>the camera printer and my mouse in three of the ones on the back. So,
    >>I'm thinking about getting a hub extension anyway, but I've still got
    >>two free ports. An external HD would be my first choice, I think.
    >>Easier to grab in the event of a sudden fire, easier to install, that
    >>sort of thing.
    >
    > And y'know, you can unplug some of them, or swap them out hehe
    > --

    I've got an Iomega 120 Gig. USB external drive and it has lasted through
    three computers.
    I've stuck everything on it prior to moving on and I think that it is the
    most useful thing that I have ever bought for my PC. I've kept it on Fat32
    so that it backwardly compatible with my Win98 and Millenium computers
    though, whilst changing my new drives to NTFS.

    BTW When you stick in another drive of any sort you might find the old ones
    (including CDroms), relabelled so that when you try to start program/games
    etc. they are looking at the wrong drive.

    If you put this
    "To assign,change or remove a drive letter"
    in your own PC's XP Help, Search box you can get help to change them back
    to the originals using "Disk Management". Very easy to follow guide.

    Skeats

    >Also, I want to buy a second HD. I have a 40GB drive in here now that
    >is about half full. I want to add a larger drive and since I don't know
    >how to do one from scratch, I will likely be adding one as a slave to
    >this one. How can I move My Documents to what will be drive F and still

    In Windows XP: Open Explorer, select the folder My Documents, right
    click on it and pull it over to the F drive, select Move and it's
    done.

    >have the thing function correctly? Also, if I buy an external HD run
    >off a USB 2.0 port, would that work to run the game from? Or would
    >running it off a USB port slow it down?

    Games do not run to well from external HD's, I've never had much
    success with it. It doesn't slow the game down so much but if you
    remove that HD and later put it back again Windows may give it a
    different drive letter in which case the game won't work anymore. Yes,
    I know the drive letter can be changed again but it's too much
    trouble. Install the game to Drive F and use the external HD as a
    backup.

    >Also, I want to buy a second HD. I have a 40GB drive in here now that
    >is about half full. I want to add a larger drive and since I don't know
    >how to do one from scratch, I will likely be adding one as a slave to
    >this one. How can I move My Documents to what will be drive F and still
    >have the thing function correctly? Also, if I buy an external HD run
    >off a USB 2.0 port, would that work to run the game from? Or would
    >running it off a USB port slow it down?

    I forgot to say it but there are a number of other problems with
    external IDE disks.

    The worst is the 137 GB IDE limit that exists on many ATA 100/66/33
    controllers. This is usually not a problem on Windows XP with service
    pack one or two installed, but with external IDE disks it can be a
    real headache.(Serial ATA disks don't have these limits).

    If you buy an external IDE disk that is larger than 137GB and it comes
    already formatted it's obvious that the external IDE controller will
    support larger than 137GB disks, therefore there should be no
    problems, but if it ever needs repartitioning and formatting it may
    not be easy as Windows may not be able to find the disk even if the
    controller supports it. If you also happen to have one of the
    computers that refuses to boot with an external USB disk connected,
    (like the horrible Fujitsu-Siemens I have and now uses as a scarecrow)
    it's not much fun.

    I have five external 300GB IDE-USB disks and they all give me plenty
    of trouble with formatting and partitioning.

    > BTW When you stick in another drive of any sort you might find the old ones
    > (including CDroms), relabelled so that when you try to start program/games
    > etc. they are looking at the wrong drive.
    >
    > If you put this
    > "To assign,change or remove a drive letter"
    > in your own PC's XP Help, Search box you can get help to change them back
    > to the originals using "Disk Management". Very easy to follow guide.
    >
    > Skeats

    I think I've decided on an external drive. Can I use the information
    found there to move My Documents to the new drive? That's by far the
    largest file on my computer and it's getting bigger everytime I play
    this game.

    Jeanie

    Strider wrote:
    >>Also, I want to buy a second HD. I have a 40GB drive in here now that
    >>is about half full. I want to add a larger drive and since I don't know
    >>how to do one from scratch, I will likely be adding one as a slave to
    >>this one. How can I move My Documents to what will be drive F and still
    >

    > In Windows XP: Open Explorer, select the folder My Documents, right
    > click on it and pull it over to the F drive, select Move and it's
    > done.
    >

    >>have the thing function correctly? Also, if I buy an external HD run
    >>off a USB 2.0 port, would that work to run the game from? Or would
    >>running it off a USB port slow it down?
    >

    > Games do not run to well from external HD's, I've never had much
    > success with it. It doesn't slow the game down so much but if you
    > remove that HD and later put it back again Windows may give it a
    > different drive letter in which case the game won't work anymore. Yes,
    > I know the drive letter can be changed again but it's too much
    > trouble. Install the game to Drive F and use the external HD as a
    > backup.

    Thanks!

    Jeanie

    Strider wrote:
    >>Also, I want to buy a second HD. I have a 40GB drive in here now that
    >>is about half full. I want to add a larger drive and since I don't know
    >>how to do one from scratch, I will likely be adding one as a slave to
    >>this one. How can I move My Documents to what will be drive F and still
    >>have the thing function correctly? Also, if I buy an external HD run
    >>off a USB 2.0 port, would that work to run the game from? Or would
    >>running it off a USB port slow it down?
    >

    > I forgot to say it but there are a number of other problems with
    > external IDE disks.
    >
    > The worst is the 137 GB IDE limit that exists on many ATA 100/66/33
    > controllers. This is usually not a problem on Windows XP with service
    > pack one or two installed, but with external IDE disks it can be a
    > real headache.(Serial ATA disks don't have these limits).
    >
    > If you buy an external IDE disk that is larger than 137GB and it comes
    > already formatted it's obvious that the external IDE controller will
    > support larger than 137GB disks, therefore there should be no
    > problems, but if it ever needs repartitioning and formatting it may
    > not be easy as Windows may not be able to find the disk even if the
    > controller supports it. If you also happen to have one of the
    > computers that refuses to boot with an external USB disk connected,
    > (like the horrible Fujitsu-Siemens I have and now uses as a scarecrow)
    > it's not much fun.
    >
    > I have five external 300GB IDE-USB disks and they all give me plenty
    > of trouble with formatting and partitioning.

    Really? I might have to give this more thought.

    The ideal situation is to simply buy a 200GB HD and install it in this
    machine as drive C and start over. But this Dell is still under
    warranty and I use it all the time. I don't know how to do this, so I'd
    have to take it in to a shop somewhere, which would take at least
    several days and maybe a full week to have it done. Dell won't help me
    with it and I don't think my XP disk that came with it will do
    everything that a stand alone XP disk would do, to let me set it up and
    format and partition it from the CD. This is a Dell version of XP. I
    could invest in the real deal, but I balk at spending that money if I
    don't have to.

    I'll have to open this thing up to install the new video card, anyway,
    so putting a slave HD in there at the same time shouldn't be much
    trouble. I've got instructions from Dell on how to do that -- came with
    the computer. But I can't call tech support for help with that because
    if they know I've altered the computer, my warranty will be kaput.

    I was hoping I could do this easily, but it's beginning to look like I
    won't be able to. :-(

    Jeanie

    On Mon, 29 Aug 2005 09:59:25 +0200, Strider <xxxx@xxx.xx> wrote:

    >Games do not run to well from external HD's, I've never had much
    >success with it. It doesn't slow the game down so much but if you
    >remove that HD and later put it back again Windows may give it a
    >different drive letter in which case the game won't work anymore. Yes,
    >I know the drive letter can be changed again but it's too much
    >trouble. Install the game to Drive F and use the external HD as a
    >backup.

    Ouch. You can decide what driveletter you want it to have in
    administrative tools. Maybe it's assigning it a new letter because you
    connected something else to it in the meantime? mp3 player? Camera?
    --

    I'm going to corner Miami attorney Jack Thompson in a dark alley and beat him to death with my pink lawn flamingo

    On Mon, 29 Aug 2005 18:50:38 +0200, Guardian Pegasus
    <nobody@nowhere.xxx> wrote:

    >On Mon, 29 Aug 2005 09:59:25 +0200, Strider <xxxx@xxx.xx> wrote:
    >
    >>Games do not run to well from external HD's, I've never had much
    >>success with it. It doesn't slow the game down so much but if you
    >>remove that HD and later put it back again Windows may give it a
    >>different drive letter in which case the game won't work anymore. Yes,
    >>I know the drive letter can be changed again but it's too much
    >>trouble. Install the game to Drive F and use the external HD as a
    >>backup.
    >
    >Ouch. You can decide what driveletter you want it to have in
    >administrative tools. Maybe it's assigning it a new letter because you
    >connected something else to it in the meantime? mp3 player? Camera?

    I don't have camera or MP3 player, but I have other USB devices that
    could cause this, but it could also be that it's because Windows
    treats it as a removable HD, while the internal drives are treated as
    non-removable.

    >several days and maybe a full week to have it done. Dell won't help me
    >with it and I don't think my XP disk that came with it will do
    >everything that a stand alone XP disk would do, to let me set it up and
    >format and partition it from the CD. This is a Dell version of XP. I
    >could invest in the real deal, but I balk at spending that money if I
    >don't have to.

    There are ways around that. But many large capacity HD's come with
    their own formatting tool (such as Maxtor), in which case you wouldn't
    need XP to format it if you decide to get rid of the drive you already
    have.

    >I'll have to open this thing up to install the new video card, anyway,
    >so putting a slave HD in there at the same time shouldn't be much
    >trouble. I've got instructions from Dell on how to do that -- came with
    >the computer. But I can't call tech support for help with that because
    >if they know I've altered the computer, my warranty will be kaput.
    >
    >I was hoping I could do this easily, but it's beginning to look like I
    >won't be able to. :-(

    It IS easy, at least if all you have to do is add a slave drive. You
    just add it and use the Windows disk management tool to partition it
    and format it. Then you'll have 200GB additional storage and you won't
    need to reinstall Windows.

    Strider wrote:

    >>several days and maybe a full week to have it done. Dell won't help me
    >>with it and I don't think my XP disk that came with it will do
    >>everything that a stand alone XP disk would do, to let me set it up and
    >>format and partition it from the CD. This is a Dell version of XP. I
    >>could invest in the real deal, but I balk at spending that money if I
    >>don't have to.
    >

    > There are ways around that. But many large capacity HD's come with
    > their own formatting tool (such as Maxtor), in which case you wouldn't
    > need XP to format it if you decide to get rid of the drive you already
    > have.
    >

    >>I'll have to open this thing up to install the new video card, anyway,
    >>so putting a slave HD in there at the same time shouldn't be much
    >>trouble. I've got instructions from Dell on how to do that -- came with
    >>the computer. But I can't call tech support for help with that because
    >>if they know I've altered the computer, my warranty will be kaput.
    >>
    >>I was hoping I could do this easily, but it's beginning to look like I
    >>won't be able to. :-(
    >

    > It IS easy, at least if all you have to do is add a slave drive. You
    > just add it and use the Windows disk management tool to partition it
    > and format it. Then you'll have 200GB additional storage and you won't
    > need to reinstall Windows.

    Yes, but I'm trying to figure out how to move My Documents to the new
    slave drive and still have the game function normally. That's the
    folder that is the hugest and taking up the most room on the drive I
    have and it's the one that grows by leaps and bounds, it seems.

    Jeanie

    >> It IS easy, at least if all you have to do is add a slave drive. You
    >> just add it and use the Windows disk management tool to partition it
    >> and format it. Then you'll have 200GB additional storage and you won't
    >> need to reinstall Windows.
    >>
    >Yes, but I'm trying to figure out how to move My Documents to the new
    >slave drive and still have the game function normally. That's the
    >folder that is the hugest and taking up the most room on the drive I
    >have and it's the one that grows by leaps and bounds, it seems.

    Open the slave drive in a window. Right-click on Start, choose
    explore. Find the My Documents folder, right-click on it and drag it
    to the slave drive, choose move from the menu and it's done. Easy:-)

    One thing nobody has pointed out yet is that you'll have to make sure your
    external drive remains connected to the machine every single time you use it
    if you're going to redirect your My Documents folder to it.

    If you boot up/login and the drive's not connected, Windows will (probably)
    get confused about your "missing" My Documents folder and create a new one
    somewhere. Then you'll have to manually sort out of the mess.

Graphics Cards Video Games