Video card help

Last response: in Video Games
a b U Graphics card
August 28, 2005 8:17:26 PM

I know this has been asked to death in here, but I've lost all my saved
posts, so here it comes again.

I want to purchase a new video card. I will be spending up to $150 on
it. I have a Dell Dimension 8200, P4, 2.00 GHz processor, 768 MB
RDRAM,. I currently have a Nvidia GeForce4 MX 420 video card. Any
suggestions?

Also, I want to buy a second HD. I have a 40GB drive in here now that
is about half full. I want to add a larger drive and since I don't know
how to do one from scratch, I will likely be adding one as a slave to
this one. How can I move My Documents to what will be drive F and still
have the thing function correctly? Also, if I buy an external HD run
off a USB 2.0 port, would that work to run the game from? Or would
running it off a USB port slow it down?

Inquiring minds and all that! Thanks so much in advance to anyone who
answers.

Jeanie

More about : video card

Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
August 28, 2005 10:40:31 PM

On Sun, 28 Aug 2005 16:17:26 GMT, Jeanie <taureanmoon@yahoo.com>
wrote:

>I want to purchase a new video card. I will be spending up to $150 on
>it. I have a Dell Dimension 8200, P4, 2.00 GHz processor, 768 MB
>RDRAM,. I currently have a Nvidia GeForce4 MX 420 video card. Any
>suggestions?
>
>Also, I want to buy a second HD. I have a 40GB drive in here now that
>is about half full. I want to add a larger drive and since I don't know
>how to do one from scratch, I will likely be adding one as a slave to
>this one. How can I move My Documents to what will be drive F and still
>have the thing function correctly? Also, if I buy an external HD run
>off a USB 2.0 port, would that work to run the game from? Or would
>running it off a USB port slow it down?
>
>Inquiring minds and all that! Thanks so much in advance to anyone who
>answers.

A Radeon 9800 PRO should set you back about roughly exactly 150$. And
it will be well paired to your processor, since there's no point in
buying the latest videocard for a 2Ghz.

About harddrive, more than likely, your current drive is set to cable
select... but if Dell have screwed with it, be prepared to alter some
options. There should be a clear indication on the drive itself which
pin setting is what, and there ought to be indication on the cable as
well, which does what. Check your case to see if both IDE slots are
taken up by the same cable. Look for a free one.

How to move your documents... well, I don't know about that one, never
done it. Or as we hardware geeks like to say... that's a software
problem! But I know others in this group have done it.

First, you have to check if you HAVE a USB2 port. If so, it *should*
be in the front of your computer case. Check "devices" to see what
kind of USB ports you have.

I'm considering a USB drive myself... it has a bandwidth of 480
megabits, which should be more than sufficient, provided you have a
USB2 drive and a USB2 port. But I'd look up some tests first if I were
you.
--

I'm going to corner Miami attorney Jack Thompson in a dark alley and beat him to death with my pink lawn flamingo
Anonymous

> On Sun, 28 Aug 2005 16:17:26 GMT, Jeanie <taureanmoon@yahoo.com>
> wrote:
>
>>I want to purchase a new video card. I will be spending up to $150 on
>>it. I have a Dell Dimension 8200, P4, 2.00 GHz processor, 768 MB
>>RDRAM,. I currently have a Nvidia GeForce4 MX 420 video card. Any
>>suggestions?
>>
>>Also, I want to buy a second HD. I have a 40GB drive in here now that
>>is about half full. I want to add a larger drive and since I don't know
>>how to do one from scratch, I will likely be adding one as a slave to
>>this one. How can I move My Documents to what will be drive F and still
>>have the thing function correctly? Also, if I buy an external HD run
>>off a USB 2.0 port, would that work to run the game from? Or would
>>running it off a USB port slow it down?
>>
>>Inquiring minds and all that! Thanks so much in advance to anyone who
>>answers.
>
> A Radeon 9800 PRO should set you back about roughly exactly 150$. And
> it will be well paired to your processor, since there's no point in
> buying the latest videocard for a 2Ghz.
>
> About harddrive, more than likely, your current drive is set to cable
> select... but if Dell have screwed with it, be prepared to alter some
> options. There should be a clear indication on the drive itself which
> pin setting is what, and there ought to be indication on the cable as
> well, which does what. Check your case to see if both IDE slots are
> taken up by the same cable. Look for a free one.
>
> How to move your documents... well, I don't know about that one, never
> done it. Or as we hardware geeks like to say... that's a software
> problem! But I know others in this group have done it.
>
> First, you have to check if you HAVE a USB2 port. If so, it *should*
> be in the front of your computer case. Check "devices" to see what
> kind of USB ports you have.
>
> I'm considering a USB drive myself... it has a bandwidth of 480
> megabits, which should be more than sufficient, provided you have a
> USB2 drive and a USB2 port. But I'd look up some tests first if I were
> you.

Seagate has some useful pages on their support site about installing their
hard drives. Or you can try other supplier's faqs.
eg

http://www.seagate.com/support/kb/disc/index_faq.html

and Microsoft has some.......

:How to Install New Hardware in Windows
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;142984> --
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;282530

Check particularly on the bootup setup options for your computer. My
computer refused to boot at all because it couldn't find any drive.

Skeats
a b U Graphics card
August 28, 2005 10:40:32 PM

Guardian Pegasus wrote:
> On Sun, 28 Aug 2005 16:17:26 GMT, Jeanie <taureanmoon@yahoo.com>
> wrote:
>

>>I want to purchase a new video card. I will be spending up to $150 on
>>it. I have a Dell Dimension 8200, P4, 2.00 GHz processor, 768 MB
>>RDRAM,. I currently have a Nvidia GeForce4 MX 420 video card. Any
>>suggestions?
>>
>>Also, I want to buy a second HD. I have a 40GB drive in here now that
>>is about half full. I want to add a larger drive and since I don't know
>>how to do one from scratch, I will likely be adding one as a slave to
>>this one. How can I move My Documents to what will be drive F and still
>>have the thing function correctly? Also, if I buy an external HD run
>>off a USB 2.0 port, would that work to run the game from? Or would
>>running it off a USB port slow it down?
>>
>>Inquiring minds and all that! Thanks so much in advance to anyone who
>>answers.
>

> A Radeon 9800 PRO should set you back about roughly exactly 150$. And
> it will be well paired to your processor, since there's no point in
> buying the latest videocard for a 2Ghz.

Ok, I'm writing that down now. Also, isn't it a good idea to buy a card
with its own fan on it to keep it cool? And does the amount of video
RAM make a huge difference?

> About harddrive, more than likely, your current drive is set to cable
> select... but if Dell have screwed with it, be prepared to alter some
> options. There should be a clear indication on the drive itself which
> pin setting is what, and there ought to be indication on the cable as
> well, which does what. Check your case to see if both IDE slots are
> taken up by the same cable. Look for a free one.

IIRC, I have one cable that should service two drives, but there is only
one in there now.

> How to move your documents... well, I don't know about that one, never
> done it. Or as we hardware geeks like to say... that's a software
> problem! But I know others in this group have done it.
>
> First, you have to check if you HAVE a USB2 port. If so, it *should*
> be in the front of your computer case. Check "devices" to see what
> kind of USB ports you have.
>
> I'm considering a USB drive myself... it has a bandwidth of 480
> megabits, which should be more than sufficient, provided you have a
> USB2 drive and a USB2 port. But I'd look up some tests first if I were
> you.

I have 6 USB 2.0 ports, four on the back and two on the front. I've got
a cable for my digital camera in one of the front ports, my scanner and
the camera printer and my mouse in three of the ones on the back. So,
I'm thinking about getting a hub extension anyway, but I've still got
two free ports. An external HD would be my first choice, I think.
Easier to grab in the event of a sudden fire, easier to install, that
sort of thing.

Jeanie
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
August 28, 2005 10:40:33 PM

Fizziwig2 wrote:
> "Guardian Pegasus" <nobody@nowhere.xxx> wrote in message
>
>>On Sun, 28 Aug 2005 16:17:26 GMT, Jeanie <taureanmoon@yahoo.com>
>>wrote:
>>

>>>I want to purchase a new video card. I will be spending up to $150 on
>>>it. I have a Dell Dimension 8200, P4, 2.00 GHz processor, 768 MB
>>>RDRAM,. I currently have a Nvidia GeForce4 MX 420 video card. Any
>>>suggestions?
>>>
>>>Also, I want to buy a second HD. I have a 40GB drive in here now that
>>>is about half full. I want to add a larger drive and since I don't know
>>>how to do one from scratch, I will likely be adding one as a slave to
>>>this one. How can I move My Documents to what will be drive F and still
>>>have the thing function correctly? Also, if I buy an external HD run
>>>off a USB 2.0 port, would that work to run the game from? Or would
>>>running it off a USB port slow it down?
>>>
>>>Inquiring minds and all that! Thanks so much in advance to anyone who
>>>answers.
>>
>>A Radeon 9800 PRO should set you back about roughly exactly 150$. And
>>it will be well paired to your processor, since there's no point in
>>buying the latest videocard for a 2Ghz.
>>
>>About harddrive, more than likely, your current drive is set to cable
>>select... but if Dell have screwed with it, be prepared to alter some
>>options. There should be a clear indication on the drive itself which
>>pin setting is what, and there ought to be indication on the cable as
>>well, which does what. Check your case to see if both IDE slots are
>>taken up by the same cable. Look for a free one.
>>
>>How to move your documents... well, I don't know about that one, never
>>done it. Or as we hardware geeks like to say... that's a software
>>problem! But I know others in this group have done it.
>>
>>First, you have to check if you HAVE a USB2 port. If so, it *should*
>>be in the front of your computer case. Check "devices" to see what
>>kind of USB ports you have.
>>
>>I'm considering a USB drive myself... it has a bandwidth of 480
>>megabits, which should be more than sufficient, provided you have a
>>USB2 drive and a USB2 port. But I'd look up some tests first if I were
>>you.
>

> Seagate has some useful pages on their support site about installing their
> hard drives. Or you can try other supplier's faqs.
> eg
>
> http://www.seagate.com/support/kb/disc/index_faq.html
>
> and Microsoft has some.......
>
> :How to Install New Hardware in Windows
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;142984> --
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;282530
>
> Check particularly on the bootup setup options for your computer. My
> computer refused to boot at all because it couldn't find any drive.
>
> Skeats

Thanks for the tip

Jeanie
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
August 29, 2005 2:20:23 AM

On Sun, 28 Aug 2005 18:19:46 GMT, Jeanie <taureanmoon@yahoo.com>
wrote:

>Ok, I'm writing that down now. Also, isn't it a good idea to buy a card
>with its own fan on it to keep it cool? And does the amount of video
>RAM make a huge difference?

Yes, all modern videocards need their own fans, and even then, if the
fan is not good, they can suffer from overheating. Ammount of video
memory currently makes very little difference. Speed of video memory
however can be quite important.

>I have 6 USB 2.0 ports, four on the back and two on the front. I've got
>a cable for my digital camera in one of the front ports, my scanner and
>the camera printer and my mouse in three of the ones on the back. So,
>I'm thinking about getting a hub extension anyway, but I've still got
>two free ports. An external HD would be my first choice, I think.
>Easier to grab in the event of a sudden fire, easier to install, that
>sort of thing.

And y'know, you can unplug some of them, or swap them out hehe
--

I'm going to corner Miami attorney Jack Thompson in a dark alley and beat him to death with my pink lawn flamingo
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
August 29, 2005 1:49:37 PM

> On Sun, 28 Aug 2005 18:19:46 GMT, Jeanie <taureanmoon@yahoo.com>
> wrote:
>
>>Ok, I'm writing that down now. Also, isn't it a good idea to buy a card
>>with its own fan on it to keep it cool? And does the amount of video
>>RAM make a huge difference?
>
> Yes, all modern videocards need their own fans, and even then, if the
> fan is not good, they can suffer from overheating. Ammount of video
> memory currently makes very little difference. Speed of video memory
> however can be quite important.
>
>>I have 6 USB 2.0 ports, four on the back and two on the front. I've got
>>a cable for my digital camera in one of the front ports, my scanner and
>>the camera printer and my mouse in three of the ones on the back. So,
>>I'm thinking about getting a hub extension anyway, but I've still got
>>two free ports. An external HD would be my first choice, I think.
>>Easier to grab in the event of a sudden fire, easier to install, that
>>sort of thing.
>
> And y'know, you can unplug some of them, or swap them out hehe
> --

I've got an Iomega 120 Gig. USB external drive and it has lasted through
three computers.
I've stuck everything on it prior to moving on and I think that it is the
most useful thing that I have ever bought for my PC. I've kept it on Fat32
so that it backwardly compatible with my Win98 and Millenium computers
though, whilst changing my new drives to NTFS.

BTW When you stick in another drive of any sort you might find the old ones
(including CDroms), relabelled so that when you try to start program/games
etc. they are looking at the wrong drive.

If you put this
"To assign,change or remove a drive letter"
in your own PC's XP Help, Search box you can get help to change them back
to the originals using "Disk Management". Very easy to follow guide.

Skeats
August 29, 2005 1:59:25 PM

>Also, I want to buy a second HD. I have a 40GB drive in here now that
>is about half full. I want to add a larger drive and since I don't know
>how to do one from scratch, I will likely be adding one as a slave to
>this one. How can I move My Documents to what will be drive F and still

In Windows XP: Open Explorer, select the folder My Documents, right
click on it and pull it over to the F drive, select Move and it's
done.

>have the thing function correctly? Also, if I buy an external HD run
>off a USB 2.0 port, would that work to run the game from? Or would
>running it off a USB port slow it down?

Games do not run to well from external HD's, I've never had much
success with it. It doesn't slow the game down so much but if you
remove that HD and later put it back again Windows may give it a
different drive letter in which case the game won't work anymore. Yes,
I know the drive letter can be changed again but it's too much
trouble. Install the game to Drive F and use the external HD as a
backup.
August 29, 2005 4:30:24 PM

>Also, I want to buy a second HD. I have a 40GB drive in here now that
>is about half full. I want to add a larger drive and since I don't know
>how to do one from scratch, I will likely be adding one as a slave to
>this one. How can I move My Documents to what will be drive F and still
>have the thing function correctly? Also, if I buy an external HD run
>off a USB 2.0 port, would that work to run the game from? Or would
>running it off a USB port slow it down?

I forgot to say it but there are a number of other problems with
external IDE disks.

The worst is the 137 GB IDE limit that exists on many ATA 100/66/33
controllers. This is usually not a problem on Windows XP with service
pack one or two installed, but with external IDE disks it can be a
real headache.(Serial ATA disks don't have these limits).

If you buy an external IDE disk that is larger than 137GB and it comes
already formatted it's obvious that the external IDE controller will
support larger than 137GB disks, therefore there should be no
problems, but if it ever needs repartitioning and formatting it may
not be easy as Windows may not be able to find the disk even if the
controller supports it. If you also happen to have one of the
computers that refuses to boot with an external USB disk connected,
(like the horrible Fujitsu-Siemens I have and now uses as a scarecrow)
it's not much fun.

I have five external 300GB IDE-USB disks and they all give me plenty
of trouble with formatting and partitioning.
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
August 29, 2005 8:09:51 PM

> BTW When you stick in another drive of any sort you might find the old ones
> (including CDroms), relabelled so that when you try to start program/games
> etc. they are looking at the wrong drive.
>
> If you put this
> "To assign,change or remove a drive letter"
> in your own PC's XP Help, Search box you can get help to change them back
> to the originals using "Disk Management". Very easy to follow guide.
>
> Skeats

I think I've decided on an external drive. Can I use the information
found there to move My Documents to the new drive? That's by far the
largest file on my computer and it's getting bigger everytime I play
this game.

Jeanie
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
August 29, 2005 8:10:51 PM

Strider wrote:
>>Also, I want to buy a second HD. I have a 40GB drive in here now that
>>is about half full. I want to add a larger drive and since I don't know
>>how to do one from scratch, I will likely be adding one as a slave to
>>this one. How can I move My Documents to what will be drive F and still
>

> In Windows XP: Open Explorer, select the folder My Documents, right
> click on it and pull it over to the F drive, select Move and it's
> done.
>

>>have the thing function correctly? Also, if I buy an external HD run
>>off a USB 2.0 port, would that work to run the game from? Or would
>>running it off a USB port slow it down?
>

> Games do not run to well from external HD's, I've never had much
> success with it. It doesn't slow the game down so much but if you
> remove that HD and later put it back again Windows may give it a
> different drive letter in which case the game won't work anymore. Yes,
> I know the drive letter can be changed again but it's too much
> trouble. Install the game to Drive F and use the external HD as a
> backup.

Thanks!

Jeanie
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
August 29, 2005 8:16:37 PM

Strider wrote:
>>Also, I want to buy a second HD. I have a 40GB drive in here now that
>>is about half full. I want to add a larger drive and since I don't know
>>how to do one from scratch, I will likely be adding one as a slave to
>>this one. How can I move My Documents to what will be drive F and still
>>have the thing function correctly? Also, if I buy an external HD run
>>off a USB 2.0 port, would that work to run the game from? Or would
>>running it off a USB port slow it down?
>

> I forgot to say it but there are a number of other problems with
> external IDE disks.
>
> The worst is the 137 GB IDE limit that exists on many ATA 100/66/33
> controllers. This is usually not a problem on Windows XP with service
> pack one or two installed, but with external IDE disks it can be a
> real headache.(Serial ATA disks don't have these limits).
>
> If you buy an external IDE disk that is larger than 137GB and it comes
> already formatted it's obvious that the external IDE controller will
> support larger than 137GB disks, therefore there should be no
> problems, but if it ever needs repartitioning and formatting it may
> not be easy as Windows may not be able to find the disk even if the
> controller supports it. If you also happen to have one of the
> computers that refuses to boot with an external USB disk connected,
> (like the horrible Fujitsu-Siemens I have and now uses as a scarecrow)
> it's not much fun.
>
> I have five external 300GB IDE-USB disks and they all give me plenty
> of trouble with formatting and partitioning.

Really? I might have to give this more thought.

The ideal situation is to simply buy a 200GB HD and install it in this
machine as drive C and start over. But this Dell is still under
warranty and I use it all the time. I don't know how to do this, so I'd
have to take it in to a shop somewhere, which would take at least
several days and maybe a full week to have it done. Dell won't help me
with it and I don't think my XP disk that came with it will do
everything that a stand alone XP disk would do, to let me set it up and
format and partition it from the CD. This is a Dell version of XP. I
could invest in the real deal, but I balk at spending that money if I
don't have to.

I'll have to open this thing up to install the new video card, anyway,
so putting a slave HD in there at the same time shouldn't be much
trouble. I've got instructions from Dell on how to do that -- came with
the computer. But I can't call tech support for help with that because
if they know I've altered the computer, my warranty will be kaput.

I was hoping I could do this easily, but it's beginning to look like I
won't be able to. :-(

Jeanie
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
August 29, 2005 10:50:38 PM

On Mon, 29 Aug 2005 09:59:25 +0200, Strider <xxxx@xxx.xx> wrote:

>Games do not run to well from external HD's, I've never had much
>success with it. It doesn't slow the game down so much but if you
>remove that HD and later put it back again Windows may give it a
>different drive letter in which case the game won't work anymore. Yes,
>I know the drive letter can be changed again but it's too much
>trouble. Install the game to Drive F and use the external HD as a
>backup.

Ouch. You can decide what driveletter you want it to have in
administrative tools. Maybe it's assigning it a new letter because you
connected something else to it in the meantime? mp3 player? Camera?
--

I'm going to corner Miami attorney Jack Thompson in a dark alley and beat him to death with my pink lawn flamingo
August 29, 2005 11:19:14 PM

On Mon, 29 Aug 2005 18:50:38 +0200, Guardian Pegasus
<nobody@nowhere.xxx> wrote:

>On Mon, 29 Aug 2005 09:59:25 +0200, Strider <xxxx@xxx.xx> wrote:
>
>>Games do not run to well from external HD's, I've never had much
>>success with it. It doesn't slow the game down so much but if you
>>remove that HD and later put it back again Windows may give it a
>>different drive letter in which case the game won't work anymore. Yes,
>>I know the drive letter can be changed again but it's too much
>>trouble. Install the game to Drive F and use the external HD as a
>>backup.
>
>Ouch. You can decide what driveletter you want it to have in
>administrative tools. Maybe it's assigning it a new letter because you
>connected something else to it in the meantime? mp3 player? Camera?

I don't have camera or MP3 player, but I have other USB devices that
could cause this, but it could also be that it's because Windows
treats it as a removable HD, while the internal drives are treated as
non-removable.
August 29, 2005 11:47:21 PM

>several days and maybe a full week to have it done. Dell won't help me
>with it and I don't think my XP disk that came with it will do
>everything that a stand alone XP disk would do, to let me set it up and
>format and partition it from the CD. This is a Dell version of XP. I
>could invest in the real deal, but I balk at spending that money if I
>don't have to.

There are ways around that. But many large capacity HD's come with
their own formatting tool (such as Maxtor), in which case you wouldn't
need XP to format it if you decide to get rid of the drive you already
have.

>I'll have to open this thing up to install the new video card, anyway,
>so putting a slave HD in there at the same time shouldn't be much
>trouble. I've got instructions from Dell on how to do that -- came with
>the computer. But I can't call tech support for help with that because
>if they know I've altered the computer, my warranty will be kaput.
>
>I was hoping I could do this easily, but it's beginning to look like I
>won't be able to. :-(

It IS easy, at least if all you have to do is add a slave drive. You
just add it and use the Windows disk management tool to partition it
and format it. Then you'll have 200GB additional storage and you won't
need to reinstall Windows.
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
August 29, 2005 11:47:22 PM

Strider wrote:

>>several days and maybe a full week to have it done. Dell won't help me
>>with it and I don't think my XP disk that came with it will do
>>everything that a stand alone XP disk would do, to let me set it up and
>>format and partition it from the CD. This is a Dell version of XP. I
>>could invest in the real deal, but I balk at spending that money if I
>>don't have to.
>

> There are ways around that. But many large capacity HD's come with
> their own formatting tool (such as Maxtor), in which case you wouldn't
> need XP to format it if you decide to get rid of the drive you already
> have.
>

>>I'll have to open this thing up to install the new video card, anyway,
>>so putting a slave HD in there at the same time shouldn't be much
>>trouble. I've got instructions from Dell on how to do that -- came with
>>the computer. But I can't call tech support for help with that because
>>if they know I've altered the computer, my warranty will be kaput.
>>
>>I was hoping I could do this easily, but it's beginning to look like I
>>won't be able to. :-(
>

> It IS easy, at least if all you have to do is add a slave drive. You
> just add it and use the Windows disk management tool to partition it
> and format it. Then you'll have 200GB additional storage and you won't
> need to reinstall Windows.

Yes, but I'm trying to figure out how to move My Documents to the new
slave drive and still have the game function normally. That's the
folder that is the hugest and taking up the most room on the drive I
have and it's the one that grows by leaps and bounds, it seems.

Jeanie
August 30, 2005 2:36:49 AM

>> It IS easy, at least if all you have to do is add a slave drive. You
>> just add it and use the Windows disk management tool to partition it
>> and format it. Then you'll have 200GB additional storage and you won't
>> need to reinstall Windows.
>>
>Yes, but I'm trying to figure out how to move My Documents to the new
>slave drive and still have the game function normally. That's the
>folder that is the hugest and taking up the most room on the drive I
>have and it's the one that grows by leaps and bounds, it seems.

Open the slave drive in a window. Right-click on Start, choose
explore. Find the My Documents folder, right-click on it and drag it
to the slave drive, choose move from the menu and it's done. Easy:-)
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
August 30, 2005 1:06:24 PM

One thing nobody has pointed out yet is that you'll have to make sure your
external drive remains connected to the machine every single time you use it
if you're going to redirect your My Documents folder to it.

If you boot up/login and the drive's not connected, Windows will (probably)
get confused about your "missing" My Documents folder and create a new one
somewhere. Then you'll have to manually sort out of the mess.
!