2500K @ 4.5GHz on P8P67 Pro 3.1 w/ Noctua NH-D14 temps

Interesting results to say the least from my overclock in a before/after scenario; OC'ed to the usual 4.5GHz using 1.28 vCore

Out of the box 0105 BIOS on the P8P67 Pro:
IDLE - 40C
Small FFTs (15 minute run) - 65C

Considering my brother had the exact same setup running at a cool 28C idle & 52C small FFTs, I proceeded to reseat the HSF 3 times in a row with the exact same results... I thought I just had bad luck on the CPU and got one that ran somewhat hot.

Update to 2001 BIOS after forgetting to check for that before even formatting/re-installing W7 and a whole new picture...:
IDLE - 27C
Small FFTs (4.5 hours, overnight) - 51C

Wow, I'm loving those temps, but it's got me wondering... why?? The BIOS update logs from Asus don't mention fixing some kind of thermal monitor issue, or a microcode update aside from the upcoming 22nm.

I just found it really odd and was wondering if anyone else has seen this or a possible explanation?

Thanks!
3 answers Last reply
More about 2500k 5ghz p8p67 noctua temps
  1. Because some BIOS updates contains CPU code
  2. just curious, which method did you use to update your bios on that board?
  3. Sorry, lost track of the thread; I used a FAT formated USB key to hold the file and loaded it in the BIOS using EZFlash.

I was getting a "file is corrupted" or some similar error, then I remembered that the file system needed to be FAT, worked like a charm after.
Ask a new question

Read More

CPUs BIOS Overclocking