Overclocked 965 BE cooling help

suigeneris20

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2010
hey, whats up everyone. I just need help finding a good CPU heatsink and fan cooler that would fit my case and do the job right. I have an AMD Phenom II x4 965BE overclocked to about 3.9ghz and just want to make sure that it keeps cool.

here are my specs:
Cooler Master HAF922 (so you guys know about how much room I have)
Asus Sabertooth 990FX
AMD Phenom II x4 965BE 3.4ghz (oc 3.9ghz) with stock cooler...
I have about 5 case fans.
2x200mm fans (1-top exhaust, 1-front intake)
3x120mm fans (2-side-intake, 1 chassis fan)

the 2 side intake fans are one of the main reasons why i came on this forum to ask which cooler you guys think is best for my setup. don't know if I should get something like the Cooler Master Vortex Plus or the Hyper 212 Evo or should i consider one of the Corsair Water Coolers?
i'm also afraid that the Hyper 212 Evo and coolers similar to it won't fit in my case...

HELP!

The V8 is mediocre.=212+ is better
The V6GT is very good but huge and the fans are on the loud side.
I'd go with the EVO which is an improved 212+.
The EVO has improved temps and a quieter fan.= better ram/dimm clearance then a V8/V6

suigeneris20

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2010
davcon: i was looking at the EVO today but the guy at the store pointed me towards the Corsair H60. What do you think about this cpu liquid cooler?

thor220: hmm...that's a new one. i have never heard of this one. i'll look into it as well. thanks

@suigeneris20

3.9 on a stock air cooler is not bad, if you're 100% stable then why even upgrade, however if you're planning on going beyond 3.9 which is kinda on the low capability for a 965BE, then your choice of cooler is very important.

If you'd even consider an H60 I've got to suggest the Noctua NH-D14 which is fully capable of running 3.9 on and AMD 965BE in passive mode, meaning no cooling fans.

It's one of the best air coolers that money can buy.

It uses your stock AMD backplate.

suigeneris20

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2010
davcon: i'm going to Fry's Electronics today and I'm going to look at all the options that they have available. I may consider trying the Corsair version and returning it if it doesn't work out. I feel that it will be the best way to find which will be best for me.

4ryan6: i noticed that it wasn't stable when i got it to 3.9 and was afraid to even test it again before i purchased a better cooler. thanks for your suggestions though and if none of the coolers mentioned above work out then i will look into the Noctua NH-D14 as well. thanks!

Consider this, The statement I made regarding the Noctua is because I'm running it right now on an AMD 965BE overclocked to 3900mhz Prime95 load stable without any cooling fans mounted to it.

Consider what happens when the Corsair cooling pump fails and it eventually will, where's your cooling capability then?

If the Noctua can still cool even if the fans both failed, and can handle a 3900mhz overclock in passive mode with just case airflow, and can more than likely out perform the H60, which is the best investment of your money?

Think about it.

suigeneris20

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2010
i understand where you're coming from but i had a limit on what i could spend since it was a christmas present from my girlfriend. i went ahead and got her to purchase the Corsair H60 and it's performing pretty damn good right now. AMD Phenom 965BE overclocked to 3.8ghz. Idle: 27C Prime95 Load: 49C

waaaaaaaaaaay better than before.