Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

YAHB! - i5 mATX

Last response: in Systems
September 13, 2009 8:26:18 PM

yet another Home build (thread)!
I'm pretty sure that my 939 system (X2 3800+, still manages to play Empire) is approaching it's last legs and since the i5 has been released I figure that this is a pretty good time to build a new system. hopefully within this month, though thats subject to change. It's gonna be mostly for Gaming on a 1440x but I'm hopefully going to be upgrading to a 120hz screen (prob. 22") so I can utilize Nvidia's 3D system.
So far I've chosen the following components:

CPU - Intel Core i5 750 2.66GHz £149.99

MoBo - Gigabyte GA-P55M-UD4 £129.92

RAM - Corsair 4GB (2x2GB) DDR3 1600MHz/PC3-12800 XMS3 DHX Memory Kit £77.25

GPU - ASUS GTX260 896MB DDR3 216 Core £119.98

PSU - Arctic Power 500W With PCI-E 2x SATA, 20+4 ATX12V 8pin +12V Connectors £27.54

HD - Hitachi 500GB Hard Drive £37.10

DVD - Sony AD7241S 24x DVD±RW £17.48

Case - Antec Mini P180 Black MATX Case £64.28

Totaling £623.54

All off of The eagle eyed people will have noticed that it is in sterling, so if you do have any improvements don't bother leaving a link to but suggestions would be nice.

Now what I was wondering is what could be changed. I was thinking about going for the GA-P55M-UD2 instead since I'm not planning on running it SLI anyway. I was wondering though, since the UD2's second slot is 4x, if I 2 cards, say this GTX260 and an 8600 in the 2nd slot, could I have the 8600 doing the phsx calculations? I seem to recall if you have SLI then you can have it run 1 for games and a 2nd card for phsx.

As I said before I'm interested in going for an Nvision capable system and so would prefer Nvidia, Though if the price/performance is good enough then I'm willing to go for ATI.
Also I'd prefer to lower the cost if possible(which is why I'd rather go for the UD2, that and I'm not interested in SLI), right now I've got a few 320 barracuda 7200.10 drives that I'm using for storage, Should I go with one of these as my primary and go for a cheapo 500Gb+ drive for storage instead? I think the drives are around 2 YO. would they affect the performance enough to matter?
Many thanks to any suggestions

More about : yahb matx

September 15, 2009 1:55:13 PM

hey thanks for that ^date, I guess I'll wait till HD5K series is released, Though I might just get a cheapo or use my existing card till it's released. I think I'll see how the GT300 series pans out as well.
September 15, 2009 3:18:29 PM

The GTX/S300 will be EXTREMELY late!
I'll see if i can find any info on them and will post in the same link above.