Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Closed

Temperature concerns and queries

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
September 30, 2009 12:50:47 PM

Greetings there. I've recently liquid cooled my graphics card and have been quite pleased with the result but I have a concern over the temperature of the PCB. Basically I own an ATI 3870 and it the GPU temps seem to respond well to the water cooling low 30 on idle mid 40s load. My concern is that the PCB seems very hot to the touch, very very hot. I'm unable to measure the PCB for temps but am concerned this isn't normal. Going from the stock fan (and heatsink for that matter) which not only cooled the GPU but most of the card to having just the GPU cooled is of some concern. I have attached the RAM heatsinks which came in the package as well.

This is my first experience with cooling VGA cards. Anyone have experience or can shed some light on whether this is safe/normal or not? Perhaps I'm a bit too paranoid.

Further information: I do have good ventilation in the case but adding another fan may be awkward as I don't have much room to work with. Card is a Gigabyte 3870.

Best solution

a b U Graphics card
September 30, 2009 6:10:29 PM

It could be hotter than before because the fan also blew air over the PCB, and liquid cooling solely cools the GPU.

Realistically the PCB getting hot shouldn't be a problem, as long it is not extreme. Ram coolers are probably quite useless unless you have some form of air ventilation on it. My suggestion would be to find a fan, and somehow put it in your case so that it blows air toward your video card, if you are really that worried. Try finding a small 80mm silent fan. Attach it to the GPU's fan controller, and you should be fine.

Of coarse, your main concern should be your GPU and the RAM chips, as long as the RAM chips don't burn on touch youll be just fine.

Xbeater.

PS, nice avatar in combination with the post, you look worried. :p 
Share
a c 202 U Graphics card
September 30, 2009 6:34:56 PM

Hot to the touch is still safe for a GPU, 45C would seem very hot to most people but is still well within the safe temp range for the board and the GPU.
Score
0
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
October 1, 2009 6:04:21 AM

N.Broekhuijsen said:
It could be hotter than before because the fan also blew air over the PCB, and liquid cooling solely cools the GPU.

My thoughts exactly.

N.Broekhuijsen said:
Realistically the PCB getting hot shouldn't be a problem, as long it is not extreme. Ram coolers are probably quite useless unless you have some form of air ventilation on it. My suggestion would be to find a fan, and somehow put it in your case so that it blows air toward your video card, if you are really that worried. Try finding a small 80mm silent fan. Attach it to the GPU's fan controller, and you should be fine.

I'm really keen to find a fan but having to see how fiddly I need to be to get one in there. With the GPU fan controller, is that controlled directly by the GPUs temp or the whole card? Because even attaching the fan to the GPUs fan controller, it would only get a slight breeze as the GPU itself is quite cool. Perhaps I can set it to run faster?

N.Broekhuijsen said:
Of coarse, your main concern should be your GPU and the RAM chips, as long as the RAM chips don't burn on touch youll be just fine.

Xbeater.


For the most part I think they are find because of the RAM heatsinks. Overall I'm still concerned about the PCB. I know whilst not as important as the GPU, it's a part of the graphics card none the less, kind of like the nervous system. Thankfully the card is a Gigabyte and from what I've heard they use more premium materials in their PCB (or is this a load of hogwash?).

N.Broekhuijsen said:
PS, nice avatar in combination with the post, you look worried. :p 

Thanks mate, got it from the office, great show. Must recommend.

hunter315 said:
Hot to the touch is still safe for a GPU, 45C would seem very hot to most people but is still well within the safe temp range for the board and the GPU.

The GPU I felt is not that hot, my concern lies solely with the PCB. It gives me some confidence in what you're saying but I think I'm going to try and find a fan solution.

Having said that, a lot of cards out there use a passive heat sink to dissipate heat so I can only imagine that the PCBs out there are designed to take a fair bit of punishment.
Score
0
a b U Graphics card
October 1, 2009 6:23:16 AM

About the fan with the gpu controller: yes it will only be a slight breeze but really that is all you need. Right now you probably have about no air movement there. If you get a bit of movement it should be enough. Otherwise you could probably use a utilitie from ATI or other to adjust the fan speed.

Good luck.
Score
0
October 1, 2009 6:45:33 AM

N.Broekhuijsen said:
About the fan with the gpu controller: yes it will only be a slight breeze but really that is all you need. Right now you probably have about no air movement there. If you get a bit of movement it should be enough. Otherwise you could probably use a utilitie from ATI or other to adjust the fan speed.

Good luck.



I agree, slight breeze is better than nothing. Currently looking it fans available to me and using my tetris skills to see how it will work out mounting a fan in there.

Thanks for the help guys :) 
Score
0
a b U Graphics card
October 1, 2009 7:22:28 AM

HAHA, my first best answer. ( i think) Thanks for promoting me to Apprentice :p 

Score
0
October 1, 2009 7:25:04 AM

N.Broekhuijsen said:
HAHA, my first best answer. ( i think) Thanks for promoting me to Apprentice :p 


To be fair both answers were pretty good. I found a fan on newegg only for it to be too think. Given the amount of room I've got it's definitely getting harder than I thought. I might post a pic up of the location I've got and see if anyone else has some pointers.
Score
0
a c 273 U Graphics card
February 25, 2012 11:48:14 PM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
Score
0
!