Home Recording Studio (Quality important)

FekkyB

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2010
Hello,
ARE GAMING MOTHERBOARDS GOOD FOR HOME RECORDING STUDIOS or are Work Station mother boards better? High Quality is important.

festerovic

Distinguished
midi interfaces are not considered a soundcard. They only listen to the midi data. There are many cards that are sounds cards that have digital and analog inputs for recording sound, that also have midi inputs. Using the D/A inputs, you record actual sound, and using midi, you essentially record the timing of specific button presses, but not actual sound.

Check out these audio interfaces, I have no idea of your budget or the intention you have when using them. If you find some on the list, I can maybe answer some questions about how they work, and quality and such.

http://pro-audio.musiciansfriend.com/computers-peripherals/audio-interfaces

andyKCIUK

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2008

A "normal" motherboard will do just fine. Are you going to use a firewire, pci/pcie or usb audio interface? If you go for a firewire interface your choice is rather limited as Gigabyte is the only manufacturer that uses Texas Instruments chipset on their mobos. You can use an extension firewire card, but to avoid problems it has to be one with TI firewire chip.

The best place for your enquiry would be gearslutz.

By the look of things you've got a lot of research ahead of you, man... good luck with your project!

kskanne

Distinguished
May 27, 2009
HI
I have been using a E-MU 0404 with good results EXCEPT if you use USB to your computer keep in mind that usb plugs wear out and get noisy and crackly with use. mine is rapidly become toast.
I just don't know what the "Lump" near the end of the usb cable is, filter perhaps? but i won't replace it until i know. But I would consider 1394 Connection or better yet I think I would get the 1616 with the pcie card.

best of luck.
KsK