Your question
Solved

3.5" SATA HDD to connect to laptop USB.

Last response: in Storage
a b D Laptop
July 12, 2011 1:38:02 AM

Okay, I have an Asus G73 laptop.
Nice PC...

Now, my problem, I have a 250 GB 3.5" SATA drive.

This drive was taken out of a desktop PC that I used when the PCs processor pins were bent... and they eventually broke off when I tried to fix them :pfff: 

Now, this drive hasn't been used in 2-3 years... I haven't really needed it, but now, I need to get access to files on it...

I had a small 2.5" portable SATA HDD which is now in the laptop as a secondary drive. I have the SATA connector (The little piece that connects to the drive to act as a border between SATA and USB).

And I also have a compatible USB cord.

So, I tried to connect the SATA/USB piece to the 3.5" HDD, it fit in perfectly. I plugged in the USB to both ends, and since there is an LED on the connector, a light pops up.

Now, I hear no hard drive activity. Is the drive broken? Or is it just not working because there isn't enough power?

Here are the details on the hard drive:

Western Digital WD2500
Serial ATA Hard Drive
MDL: WD2500JD-22HBB0
Capacity: 250 GB
It has a small illustration on the paper that is on the surface of the drive. It shows the ports to the drive. There is a P15 which is the SATA POWER, I'm assuming that because the SATA connector is connected to that part... it should power up?

Basically, it seems like there isn't enough power going thru to the drive... because of that... there is no power... :??: 

I DO NOT WANT AN HDD ENCLOSURE!
Please, I know this is a lot to ask for, but I need help :ange: 
a b D Laptop
a b G Storage
July 12, 2011 8:05:02 AM

The usb to sata bridge just won't give enough power to the 3.5 drive from the usb. Get a dock, they can fit 2.5 and 3.5 sata. Other options are available. If you dont want to buy an enclosure, then it depends on your cable. Does your sata to usb cable have a lone sata port without power. If it does, you can see a lone sata port on to where where you can attach a 3.5 drive sata to and draw the power from PSU.

Or you can use male to female sata extension cable from drive to the bridge:

http://www.auspcmarket.com.au/info/AUS-CB-SATA2MF-50CM/...

and PSU power to the drive.

IMO, the dock is the cleanest option out of the three.
m
l
a b D Laptop
a c 353 G Storage
July 12, 2011 3:04:15 PM

2 1/2 in drives use 5 V, the 3.5 inch drive requires both +12 V and + 5 V. Laptop bays normally only provide the +5 V to the connector (missing the +12v required by 3.5" HDD) as that is all that is needed. USB 2 or 3 Only provide +5 V (Usb 2 upto 0.5 Amps, Usb 3 current in higher).

Only real option is to get a cheap POWERED enclosure about $20-> $30 @ Newegg
m
l
Related resources
a b D Laptop
July 12, 2011 4:28:33 PM

Thanks guys, I see how illogical I am xD

I forgot to mention, I have an old Bufallo external Hard drive.
It is a HD-HS500U2

I've been able to open it up, and swap out the 500 GB hard drive with the 250 GB hard drive that I want to use...

My only problem is that I no longer have the power cable. I have the USB A to B... But not the power...

The port is similar to the old keyboard ports, I forget what either are called.. but could you guys possibly provide me a link, or a name of the power cable that I need.

Here is voltage details if you provide me a link to something like Fry's (Please no eBay)

5VDC --- 1.5A
12VDC---1.5A

Also, could I have a link to the cheapest compatible Hard drive enclosure on Fry's?
I want to be able to go to a retailer... not order online. And Fry's is not to far away, and they're cheaper then BestBuy..

Thanks,
m
l
a b D Laptop
a b G Storage
July 12, 2011 4:32:48 PM

It would help if you upload a photo of the power connection. Also I would not recommend a cheapest enclosure. The enclosure made from ritmo are the cheapest but they are horrible. I will recommend you something of good quality but not over prices.
m
l
a b D Laptop
a c 353 G Storage
July 12, 2011 4:50:01 PM

Go to Frys electronics and search for HDD enclosure.
I found this $20, but one you would need to also buy the power brick - they have, should be about $5 (+12 V at 1 Amp) just verify connector is correct. http://www.frys.com/product/6133829?site=sr:SEARCH:MAIN...

W/Power adaptor (Also connects to esata - faster than USB2) $30.
http://www.frys.com/product/5975684?site=sr:SEARCH:MAIN...

Myself - I'd just go there - may have additional ones.
m
l
a b D Laptop
July 12, 2011 4:53:37 PM

Here is what it looks like,

Yesterday, I took the enclosure a part to see if I could swap the connector.. I decided not to, but I haven't re-assembled it yet. I took this pic 5 minutes ago.

Okay, I'm fine not getting a 5 dollar enclosure, but I'm not going anywhere above 25 dollars.
m
l
a b D Laptop
July 12, 2011 4:56:05 PM

RetiredChief said:
Go to Frys electronics and search for HDD enclosure.
I found this $20, but one you would need to also buy the power brick - they have, should be about $5 (+12 V at 1 Amp) just verify connector is correct. http://www.frys.com/product/6133829?site=sr:SEARCH:MAIN...

The first link looks fine, but it doesn't say if it supports 3.5" HDDs...
m
l
a b D Laptop
July 12, 2011 5:00:40 PM

RetiredChief said:

This one looks great. But I'm holding the HDD right now, and it says on it
+5V 0.72A
+12V 0.52A

If I'm not mistaken, on the link in the descriptions towards the bottom of the page it says: DC output: 12V / 2A

Are they still compatible?
m
l
a b D Laptop
a b G Storage
July 12, 2011 5:08:14 PM

looks like a 4 Pin MINI DIN / S-VHS panel socket to me. Let see if adapter is available. Do you have the model of the enclosure?
m
l
a b D Laptop
July 12, 2011 5:08:38 PM

Also... I was just thinking... Are there bay's that can fit 2 drives? If there are, how much more would that cost?

If there aren't, or if they're expensive... then I guess I'd be better off getting 2 enclosures, or just swap drives whenever I need a different one..
m
l
a b D Laptop
July 12, 2011 5:10:03 PM

Pyree said:
looks like a 4 Pin MINI DIN / S-VHS panel socket to me. Let see if adapter is available. Do you have the model of the enclosure?

Yeah, but it wasn't originally an enclosure, it was an external 3.5" Drive.

The model:

Bufallo Tech.

HD-HS500U2
m
l
a b D Laptop
a b G Storage
July 12, 2011 5:10:47 PM

hpfreak said:
Also... I was just thinking... Are there bay's that can fit 2 drives? If there are, how much more would that cost?

If there aren't, or if they're expensive... then I guess I'd be better off getting 2 enclosures, or just swap drives whenever I need a different one..

That is why I suggest HDD dock at first place.
m
l
a b D Laptop
a b G Storage
July 12, 2011 5:12:47 PM

In Australia ventec nexstar HDD dock is about $31. I recommend you get one.
m
l
a b D Laptop
a c 353 G Storage
July 12, 2011 5:15:42 PM

The enclusures for 3.5 in HDD only require the +12V in. The +5V is derived inside the enclusure. Only the "Old" enclusures required both the +12 V and the +5 V power bricks.

You might be able to find the correct brick; or one that has both +5/=12V and modify the plug/hardwire in (not sure of your electrical abilities)

Yes the link you provided would work.

What I would do is spend a little more and get an enclosure that works with USB 3 (Your laptop should have USB 3 and it will be considerably faster). Then at a later date pickup a Samsung F3 1 TB drive.
m
l
a b D Laptop
July 12, 2011 5:19:28 PM

I'm a tech nerd... but I've fried electronics before by "modifying" the power cables... etc... I guess my best bet would be to go over to Fry's and see if I can find a cheap solution. I'll probably go with a dock, or enclosure. Whatever I find first :D 

Thanks guys for your help!
m
l
a b D Laptop
a b G Storage
July 12, 2011 5:20:09 PM

No problem
m
l
a b D Laptop
July 12, 2011 5:23:52 PM

RetiredChief said:
The enclusures for 3.5 in HDD only require the +12V in. The +5V is derived inside the enclusure. Only the "Old" enclusures required both the +12 V and the +5 V power bricks.

You might beable to find that brick at frys, or one that has both +5/=12V and modify the plug/hardwire in (not sure of your electrical abilities)

Yes the link you provided would work.

What I would do is spend a little more and get an enclosure that works with USB 3 (Your laptop should have USB 3 and it will be considerably faster). Then at a later date pickup a Samsung F3 1 TB drive.

I'm a bit confused :bounce: 
So... are you saying, that this would work: http://www.frys.com/product/5975684?site=sr:SEARCH:MAIN...

I think I'll go with that if it works. It is also.. available for store pickup at the Fry's nearby. I hope to browse a bit on my own though, maybe find a even better deal.
m
l

Best solution

a b D Laptop
a c 353 G Storage
July 12, 2011 5:33:11 PM

Yes, that one will work whith any 3.5in sata I or II HDD (Sata III drives will also work, but at Sata II mode). Although it indicates only 3.5" HDD (at some futute point you need to use a 2.5" laptop sata drive it is very easy work around so that you can use the laptop drives in it also.
a b D Laptop
July 12, 2011 5:39:38 PM

Well, that isn't an issue since I'm only looking to use 3.5" Drives.
But thanks, I've learned everything that I needed to know :) 
m
l
a b D Laptop
July 12, 2011 5:39:55 PM

Best answer selected by hpfreak.
m
l
a b D Laptop
July 14, 2011 3:30:33 PM

Okay, I got a Hard drive enclosure. So far so good. I didn't get it at Fry's though, I stopped by at a local shop for something else, and it turned out that they had a few.
m
l
!