'Internet Connection' appears when when wireless card conn..

August 5, 2004 6:04:18 PM

(setup: windows xp pro sp1, cable modem, dlink di-774 wireless router)
I just noticed on someone's pc that if you look at the network interfaces
besides the usual expected listing of the local NIC and the section for
dial-up interfaces there was a seperate section labled 'internet
connection'. This only appears when the wireless network card is associated
with the wireless router. So as it seems to be treated as an interface like
a NIC, I can get 'internet connection' connected or disconnected messages in
the taskbar etc... Also, I was very suprised to see configurable options
when viewing the properties of this 'internet connection'.. there were
options similar to XP's builtin firewall capabilities. Whats with this? Why
does it appear? what for? What could it be used for... meaning why would you
change any properties on it when all your 'internet connection' settings are
handles on the router? expecially firewalling?

any info on this would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Anonymous
August 11, 2004 10:40:55 PM

I think the icon you're referring to is actually referring to your gateway
(i.e. the router).

Yes, the settings are usually redundant and under normal circumstances, you
should never need to change them.

--
Please reply in newsgroup.