Sign in with
Your question

Motherboard skyrockets to over 100+ celsius help

Last response: in Motherboards
March 3, 2010 4:08:37 AM

I have a m2n-sli deluxe mobo. Recently I've had problems with my PC randomly just restarting so I figure I have some sort of over heating issue. I installed a program called speedfan to monitor my temps. All my temps seemed fine hanging around 30 or so then to test them on load i pull up a game (heroes of newerth) and my mobo temp skyrockets to over 100 degrees while the other temps never exceed 45 or 50. I don't understand how all my other temps are just fine including the cpu. I have decent cooling one fan in front of my case (COOLER MASTER Centurion 5) blowing in and one in the back blowing out plus my power supply fan(Rosewill RP550-2 550W). Has anyone ever heart of this board having the temp so high? What can I do to lower it?

Specs:
CPU - AMD Athlon 64 X2 6400+ Windsor 3.2GHz
CPU Cooler - Rosewill RCX-Z940-SL 92mm 2 Ball CPU Cooler
MOBO - ASUS M2N-SLI Deluxe AM2 NVIDIA nForce 570
Case - COOLER MASTER Centurion 5
PS - Rosewill RP550-2 550W

Just FYI I've had this PC for over 2 years and I have never had a problem with it.
a b V Motherboard
March 3, 2010 11:29:57 AM

Take it apart and blow all the dust out of it. Clean out the fans and make sure you're getting good circulation.
m
l
March 9, 2010 10:58:21 PM

I solved the problem. Well to be more specific there wasn't a problem at all. Researched this for awhile and it turns out it's just speedfan giving me a wrong reading. And as for the restarts I was using the beta windows 7 and the evaluation thing ended on march 1st so I just went out and bought it and no more restarts.
m
l
Related resources
March 10, 2010 6:35:21 PM

You can always go to your BIOS and check your hardware monitor. That might give you a more accurate reading.
m
l
a b V Motherboard
March 10, 2010 10:17:42 PM

Reading temps from BIOS doesn't give a very good idea of what the actual operating temps will be.

If you're not sure your temps are being reported correctly by one program, such as SpeedFan, check a second program. Other good software includes RealTemp, CoreTemp, or HWMonitor - though I prefer the first two.
m
l
!