2 HDs - where to put OS, Page File, game programs

client_9

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2008
Hi,
My new gaming rig will dual boot XP and Windows 7 (on 2 separate drives)

Let's say XP will be on drive C
and Windows 7 will be on drive D

In the past, I've always put the OS and game programs on C drive and the page file on drive D

Is this the optimum arrangement? Or should the game program reside on a different drive than the OS? Or some other combination?

I'm looking forward to gaming in Windows 7 w/ a CrossFire set up.

Thanks.

Current Rig:
Processor: Core 2 Duo E8500 (3.16GHz) Wolfdale
Power Supply: Cooler Master Real Power 750W
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-X48-DS4
Memory: 2x2GB Corsair Dominator PC2-8500
Hard Drive: Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 SATA
Video Card: Radeon HD 4850 512MB * will be running 2 in CrossFire w/ Windows 7 soon *

FallenSniper

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2007
I would say if you are buying two hard drives and planning on using two OSes, put one on each. Also put each file correlating to each on the same one. The other way to do it would be partitioning one hard drive into multiple partitions, then putting each OS on a single hard drive, then all your files and stuff on the other HD. I'm not sure how well that would work with XP and 7.

Turn off pagefile. You don't really need a pagefile with a 4GB system. If you need it, reduce it to around 1-1.5GB.

As for the set up:
Keep XP one one and Win 7 on the other. This is the best case as if you don't want XP later down the road you can just wipe it out and move the data (image files,etc) from Win7 to the wiped drive.

client_9

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2008

ok, thanks. Is there any performance gain in having a game installed on a different drive than the operating system?

TRENDING THREADS