Sign in with
Your question

Please help me choose the right combonation!

Last response: in Motherboards
March 3, 2010 6:53:47 AM

I have been looking over 2 weeks trying to find the best perormance pc for my money and have come up with the following pc's for around my budget of £430.

System 1
Processor: Phenom II x 4 965 BE 3.4Ghz
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-MA785GMT-UD2H
RAM: DDR3 4GB 1,333MHz Expandable to 16GB
Graphics: Onboard ATI Radeon HD 4200 graphics

System 2
Processor: i5 750 2.66Ghz
Motherboard: AsRock P55 M Pro
RAM: DDR3 4GB Corsair 1,600 Ghz Expandable to 8
Graphics: Nvidia 9400 GT 512mb DDR2

I will be using the game for mid to eventually high level gaming and for using to open several applications up at a time like web pages, acrobat, excel, word. I am aware the graphics on both are pantz but what is the most future proof of the two and what will give me the best performance?

From what i have seen over research the i5 750 is a better processor on performance overall and requires less power consumption but whats the overall consumption with the motherboard? Does the Asrock have blu ray playback compatability if i want to install a blu ray drive in the future?

I dismissed buying a i5 650/660/670 with the same gigabyte motherboard as above because it only had 2 cores as opposed to 4 despite its intel HD and hyper threading technologies...maybe i was wrong to do this?

Any help would be greatly appreciated to help me decide promptly.

Thanks in advance.

More about : choose combonation

a c 435 V Motherboard
March 3, 2010 12:28:05 PM

System 1 has a better cpu; system 2 has a better video card. It's a tossup. I recommend system one with a 3850-4670 chipset video card sometime in the future if funds are tight, or if you have trouble running your favorite games.
Related resources
March 3, 2010 6:18:25 PM

Thanks for your replies. If im not going to overclock what is the best processor? This is most important to me as i can always upgrade the rest of the system cheaply if i need to.
What is the best motherboard future proof wise?
Does anyone know whether the Asrock 955m pro supports HDMI and blueray? There is no mention of it on their website.

System 2 works out £45 cheaper

Thanks again
March 3, 2010 7:06:05 PM

sorry my bad system 1 is £45 cheaper which could be used to put towards windows 7! If im not going overclock wouldnt the phenom be alot faster because its 3.4Ghz at stock compared to 3.2Ghz with the i5 with its turbo boost?
a c 435 V Motherboard
March 3, 2010 8:02:12 PM

Go for system one if it's 45 pounds cheaper.
March 15, 2010 7:29:02 PM

im looking at the thermaltake armour+ case and the antec 1200. First problem im having is that there are so many models of the thermaltake armour series i dont know which one to go for! one is ESA whatever that is...one is the VH6000BWS and the other is VA8003BWS. These are all fan cooled full towers that support e-atx. The reason i looked at these was because they are future proof for huge graphics cards which im likely to need at some point. I was also looking at the antec 1200 which has an extra fan, adjustable speed settings and the PSU at the bottom away from HDD..but it isnt as big as the thermaltake! Does anyone know which one is quiter when comparing like for like fan speeds? this is another important issue for me.
a c 177 V Motherboard
March 15, 2010 8:14:40 PM

ESA (enthusiast's system architecture) is a (mostly) communications protocol that allow centralized control over fan boards and controllers, distributed temperature sensors, power supplies that allow you to 'read' the load currents off the individual rails and the like...

http://www.anandtech.com/casecoolingpsus/showdoc.aspx?i...

The board in the upper right:

is an ESA fan controller running four temp sensors, and five fan controller channels; it will, I believe, do lighting control as well, if you're into that sort of thing...
Though nVidia touted it as an 'open' standard, it pretty much only works with nVidia chipset motherboards (and who the blazes wants one of those? :kaola:  ) I hunted around a bit, and found a utility that can run it (bottom two 'branches'):
!