How Much Watts?

truest

Distinguished
Nov 24, 2009
So I recently bought all these pc components from newegg, but didn't get a PSU or MOTHERBOARD (because I thought my friends MSI 790Gx & Antec 750w True Power would work, but it didnt).

I was wondering how much watts do I need here are the details.
mobo - havent bought yet, maybe the msi 790x/gx/fx
cpu - amd phenom x4 955 BE
3 HDD - 500 g / 70 g / 50 g
gpu - XFX 4890 (requires 500 w power supply)
hp - dvd/cd burner
case - antec 900 w/ cold cathodes

Will a 700w power supply suit my needs? Because if so I am looking into buying this PSU
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817341019

Is it worth it? Its one of the cheapest PSU by a respected company with a decent amount of Watts - 750.

Is this PSU any good? Will it satisfy my needs or do I need to up the Watts on a PSU I want to buy?

PROMO ENDS 12/5 LET ME KNOW ASAP

Solution
The general rule of thumb is a high quality 500 to 550 watt power supply with sufficient current (amps) on the 12 volt rail(s) can easily power a system with any single video card made. A high quality 700 to 750 watt power supply with sufficient current (amps) on the 12 volt rail(s) can power a system with two video cards operating in dual mode. There are a few exceptions like the new ATI Radeon HD 5XXX series cards which use less power due to their energy efficiency.

A high quality 500 to 550 watt psu will have a +12 volt rail rated at 40 amps. A high quality 700 to 750 watt psu will have a +12 volt rail rated at 60 amps.

In addition the power supply should be at least 80+ Bronze certified for energy efficiency.

Before purchasing a...
The general rule of thumb is a high quality 500 to 550 watt power supply with sufficient current (amps) on the 12 volt rail(s) can easily power a system with any single video card made. A high quality 700 to 750 watt power supply with sufficient current (amps) on the 12 volt rail(s) can power a system with two video cards operating in dual mode. There are a few exceptions like the new ATI Radeon HD 5XXX series cards which use less power due to their energy efficiency.

A high quality 500 to 550 watt psu will have a +12 volt rail rated at 40 amps. A high quality 700 to 750 watt psu will have a +12 volt rail rated at 60 amps.

In addition the power supply should be at least 80+ Bronze certified for energy efficiency.

Before purchasing a new psu you will need to decide whether you will eventually have a pc with one or two video cards.

Corsair, PC Power & Cooling, and Seasonic are some of the brands that have a reputation for high quality power supplies that consistently earn high marks in technical reviews. They are reliable, stable, and come with a 5 year warranty. Some of the newer models come with a 7 year warranty. Lately we've been seeing a few other brands offering some high quality units. An example would be the Antec Earthwatts series which is an improvement over Antec’s older series psu’s.

Solution

truest

Distinguished
Nov 24, 2009
If I do not plan to upgrade to 2 graphics card, then will this PSU be sufficient? I might just get a GIGABYTE GA-MA770T (NOT CROSSFIRE READY) and stick to my 1 graphics card.

But, if I do plan to crossfire (2x 4890's), would this power supply be sufficient?

stuporman

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2009
I've got the same CPU, graphics card & case, plus have five cooling fans, and two DVD-RW. I have a 700 PSU and the system works no problem at all. MAke sure you get a modular PSU - much neater and better airflow.