Sign in with
Your question
Solved

SSD

Last response: in Storage
July 12, 2011 2:20:15 PM

Hey Guys this is my build I built a few months ago:

LITE-ON CD/DVD Burner - Bulk Black SATA Model iHAS124-04 - OEM

COOLER MASTER HAF 912 RC-912-KKN1 Black SECC/ ABS Plastic ATX Mid Tower Computer Case

Seagate Barracuda ST31000524AS 1TB 7200 RPM SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive

HIS H695FN2G2M Radeon HD 6950 2GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card with Eyefinity

Corsair Enthusiast Series TX750 V2 750W ATX12V v2.31/ EPS12V v2.92 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Active PFC High Performance Power ...

GIGABYTE GA-Z68A-D3H-B3 LGA 1155 Intel Z68 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 64-bit English 1-Pack - OEM

Intel Core i5-2500K Sandy Bridge 3.3GHz (3.7GHz Turbo Boost) LGA 1155 95W Quad-Core Desktop Processor BX80623I52500K

G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL9D-8GBRL

What I was wondering is do anybody have an extensive knowledge on SSD? I have read that they do help however, they are still a relatively new technology and in the near future they will become more and more effective and efficient.

Is it worth investing in one?

More about : ssd

a c 383 G Storage
July 12, 2011 2:28:45 PM

techo said:
Is it worth investing in one?

That's a very subjective question. Is it fast? Sure. Is it fast enough for you to spend the money? Only you know that. Personally I can't justify the cost/gig right now. I like speed, but I'm not willing to pay the current prices.

On the plus side, the price of SSD's has been dropping.
m
l
July 12, 2011 2:57:09 PM

Hawkeye22 said:
That's a very subjective question. Is it fast? Sure. Is it fast enough for you to spend the money? Only you know that. Personally I can't justify the cost/gig right now. I like speed, but I'm not willing to pay the current prices.

On the plus side, the price of SSD's has been dropping.

I mean yes it is a general question open to opinions and I would like to sort of see someone validate the purchase of one and someone to discourage me from buying one so I can then weigh the differences and then make my own decision.
m
l
Related resources
a b G Storage
July 12, 2011 3:05:19 PM

I have a vertex 2 120G. It cut down boot time, cs5, virus scan, no hard disk lag when back up and fast game load time. Other than that, there is absolutely no benefit in making a program run faster. I recommend ssd on laptop because fast boot and shutdown increase mobility. For desktop, if you want the best and you can afford it, give it a try. I don't think anyone will regret seeing their os and program load faster.
m
l

Best solution

a c 353 G Storage
July 12, 2011 5:59:12 PM

Totally agree with Pyree.
I have 7 SSDs. Have no regreates with the first five. The last 2 (Agility III) 50/50, one worked one did not.

As stated they do improve the computing experience - they are much better than the mech HDD. Are they really cost effective - Depends on if you are cursing your boot time (like my wife).

I'd take a more wait and see approach on the SATA III
From one of my previous posts (deals with SSD for laptop, but apply to desktops).
Sata III SSDs primarily fall into 2 camps: The marvel controller and the Sandforce SF22xx.
....The sandforce III has the best performance (ie vertex III) – Before buying read the OCZ forum on shuttering, BSODs and slow down’s associated with this drive. Also look at Newegg’s 1 and 2 egg ratings – It’s terrible. I purchased the Agility III for my Samsung RF711-01 (SB LapTop) – would not even load operating system, Drive works as a data drive in my I5-2500k desktop fine.
....Marvel controller (ie Intel 510). Although slower (still 20 -> 40 x faster than a HDD) would be my only recommendation at this time, But I’d still wait to make sure.
....Sata II drives: Older ones that use the SF1200 controller would be a 2nd choice. Sequential read/writes ate less than the newer Sata III (about halve), but the more important small file random reads/writes are not too far off. Up until yesterday, I would have recommended the Intel 320’s (newer Sata II controller); However, apparently the 320’s have a bug that causes some of them to “decrease size to 8 Mb and all data lost – ouch. Ref: http://www.cdrinfo.com/Sections/Ne [...] wsId=30685

July 12, 2011 6:19:02 PM

Thank you for all your advice, would you happen to know any informatino about hybrid ssd's? Their price is significantly cheaper how much are you sacrificing for that price?
m
l
a b G Storage
July 12, 2011 6:28:35 PM

They have a large 4G cache. I heard that the performance is not so good due to the caching scheme in the firmware is too vagarious interfering with normal usage causing performance degradation but I also heard that a new firmware rectify that. I would say that hybrid drive is for people with a laptop with one HDD bay who wants better performance without losing storage space (My laptop also have 1 HDD bay but I got myself a custom made second bay replacing the dvd and put my HDD there and my ssd goes to where the HDD used to be). Since you are using desktop, space is not a constrain. I recommend an ssd boot and program and HDD for storage combination to maximize your performance, if you decide to get an ssd.
m
l
July 12, 2011 6:37:12 PM

Best answer selected by techo.
m
l
a c 353 G Storage
July 12, 2011 8:09:29 PM

You have a Z68 MB, so you could opt for a upto 64 Gig SSD and use it as a cache for the Larger HDD. Indications are that overall the performance is around 2 (max 4) times the HDD on it's own. The recommendation from me is skip and go for a larger SSD and use as a Boot drive (Keeping in mind my initial post).
m
l
a c 307 G Storage
July 12, 2011 10:48:10 PM

^5 +1 what Retired Chief said.

The idea of using a small capacity ssd as a cache to improve the performance of a hard disk drive was a compromise. It was developed for those individuals who cannot afford a larger capacity ssd. The comp[romise involves a performance hit as compared to a larger ssd. If you can do it, then go for a larger ssd.
m
l
a b G Storage
July 13, 2011 3:36:08 PM

Since my machines run 24/7/365 my concern isn't for boot speed but rather for the increase in reliability.
m
l
!