Sign in with
Your question

System Volume Information folder

Last response: in Storage
July 12, 2011 2:46:50 PM

Any suggestions, thoughts etc., on the moving of the System Volume Information folder, using mklink, off an SSD to another drive? I've moved and linked a few large and regularly amended folders like those for Google Earth and Windows Media Player, but have baulked at doing it to that large Windows OS folder. I've done pretty well all of the tweaks recomended Windows (7) already. I'd rather not go back to Fat32 to resolve this one.
Thanks in advance.
a c 415 G Storage
July 12, 2011 3:45:11 PM

System Volume Information is an integral part of the NTFS file structure - it holds the metadata for the file system. You can't move it to another drive. If you'd prefer not to see it then you can enable the "Hide Protected Operating System Files" option in Windows Explorer.
July 12, 2011 10:57:00 PM

Thanks, but not seeing it doesn't stop it from eating up over 1GB of my SSD and causing unncessary read/writes.
Related resources
a b G Storage
July 12, 2011 11:36:10 PM

System restore stores its files there, turn off system restore to reduce space. Encryption takes up space there too. Indexing also stores files though.
a c 415 G Storage
July 13, 2011 2:06:46 AM

theSplund said:
Thanks, but not seeing it doesn't stop it from eating up over 1GB of my SSD and causing unncessary read/writes.
(See getochkn's comments). This is the reason why scrimping on space for the Windows partition is penny-wise but pound-foolish.
July 13, 2011 7:31:36 AM

@smintel - That statement makes no sense whatsoever - it's like 'putting wheels on a tomato' (pointless).
@getochkn - I've turned off System Restore but this folder still exists. However I did realise that I'd not chosen to delete the existing restore point it had made just minutes after I'd installed Windows - problem solved.
a c 415 G Storage
July 13, 2011 3:18:43 PM

Penny-wise but pound-foolish: Saving a little bit of money at the cost of some other greater expense. It's a British term, "pound" is a monetary unit much larger than a penny.
July 13, 2011 5:01:58 PM

I know the saying (as I was born in England and have lived here for 48 years!) but your use of the expression appears totally out of context - I guess you didn't really understand my original post...
a c 415 G Storage
July 13, 2011 7:51:38 PM

It sounded to me like you ran out of space on the SSD you're using for the OS. Now I may have been be hasty in my assumption, but I see so many posts here about how small an SSD people can get away with for Windows 7 that I suspected you may have bought an SSD that was undersized.

My feeling is that it's better to spend the extra money to buy an SSD with plenty of room than it is to spend the time over the next few years micromanaging the space on it. In other words: "Spend more pennies now to buy an SSD of comfortable size rather then spending pounds of time later dealing with the issues caused by a drive of marginal size."
July 14, 2011 8:23:22 AM

Ah, I see where you're coming from now. I have a 120GB SSD with 43.5GB spare - big enough? On it is Windows 7 and a few games that I like to go back to (Crysis/Crysis 2/Fallout 3/Borderlands/Burnout paradise/STALKER). I am not concerned about space (approx 1TB of other internal HD's for that), I am concerned however about the re-writing by temporary files (and the degradation of an SSD over time by this), together with the performance costs of Stystem Restore on an SSD, and wished to remove all caching/temp folders including System Restore's System Volume Information from the SSD.
Now if I could enable System Restore to make shadows/backups to another drive I'd be very happy.
a c 415 G Storage
July 14, 2011 11:38:31 PM

I have an Intel 160GB X-25M G2 drive with about 75GB in use. My standard account profile is on the drive, so that includes things like Temporary Internet Files, etc. System restore is enabled, and according to the SMART reports from the drive it looks like over the 18 months I've been using it I'm averaging less than 5GB/day of writes to the drive.

Given the quoted "at least 5 years life expectancy at 20GB/day of writes", my drive ought to be good for 20 years, long past the point at which I expect it to be obsolete. System restore doesn't really hurt drive longevity, IMHO - and unless you're doing something very specific I think your worries about the drive wearing out are probably misplaced.
July 15, 2011 8:08:19 AM

@smintel - Interesting, I shall give it a rethink.
!