Sign in with
Your question

AMD 890 over 790

Last response: in Motherboards
March 3, 2010 2:37:36 PM

Im in between choices, Purely a gaming rig, which will be used for media also. really just music and HD movies. The only real difference I can see between these motherboards is USB 3.0 and 6 GB sata. What shall go for. Are the new chipsets and faster?. The USB and sata updates can now be had from ASUS on a PCI e daughter board. so are the new boards actually worth the extra 30 quid?

Also I would prefer crossfire 16x/16x over 8x/8x if I can. I really dont wanna spend any more than £100.

Thanks in advance

More about : amd 890 790

March 3, 2010 8:08:21 PM

USB 3.0 is pointless because nothing will support it for years and its main advantage is an increase in bandwidth which won't matter except for external hard drives but even then it will still be inferior to eSata and FireWire. 6 GB/sec Sata will also be pointless I believe unless you are planning on buying a really fast hard drive in the future.
March 3, 2010 8:18:55 PM

Yeah actually, thats a valid point about supporting the PX6's, and +1 on the USB and sata 6. But having the Px6's around a year away. I may aswell future proof my self for another £20 or so :) 
!