Brand new built system running and installing very slow? Need help!

13abie

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2009
Ok so I just built my computer
Motherboard: EVGA X58 SLI LE Version - 141-BL-E757-TR
Power Supply: Zalman 750W ZM750-HP Mpdular SLI Quad +12V
CPU: Intel i7 core 920
RAM: 6gb DDR3 @ 1600
Case: Antec Nine Hundred Two Tower w/Side Window
Video Card: Inno 3D 8800gt 512mb
HDD: Samsung 1tb sata I

But Its running MUCH slower than my 2 year old computer, currently its on Windows XP Media and I am wondering if the slowness is due to the hardware being to new for the operating system. If so how do I go about getting hold of free windows 7? If not what steps can I take to speed it up. I removed 4gb of ram and that helped but now I have no idea what to do?

Thanks

Well my first thought is that your HD is possibly your problem. Is it really a SATA I HD?? I'm not sure that it could be a SATA I (1.5 gb/s) and not a SATA II (3.0 gb/s)??

* The other thing that I'd double check is that your CPU and CPU HSF is mounted correctly. Maybe your CPU is throttling back, because the CPU HSF isn't mounted well enough to keep the CPU cool enough.

* I don't know for sure, but you might also try a different SATA slot on the mobo or even try a different SATA cable. Maybe you have a faulty cable and this is causing the slow down.

* Windows XP shouldn't be holding you back much with your system, so I don't think that is the problem.

* You might want to make sure you have scanned for virus' and malware too. Maybe you have picked something up that is reaking havoc on your system??

* You might also try and cycle out each of your RAM sticks and see if you have a faulty one or two that you got. You can run Memtest86 on each stick if you have to, to make sure that they are good sets. There might also be a faulty or marginal RAM slot on your mobo too, so don't rule that out either.

* Double check all of your temps in the BIOS for at least 30 min. This way you can rule out some of the variables. If you temperatures are stable and not too high, than your CPU/mobo variable will be minimized.

Yes, it does sound like build problems, or you have not installed everything correctly. Did you do a fresh install of Windows? As soon as the Windows install was done, did you install all the motherboard drivers? Did you install the drivers for all your hardware, like the Video card and Sound drivers?